The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Arrived on my doorstep today....subscriber issue!!:)

img1566u.jpg
[/URL

You're not gonna get that exact kind of texture unless you use cloth. The maquette itself does a great job of making polystone appear to have texture. :)

General jist of the article in Empire

*A lot of The Hobbit is being filmed indoors due to weather problems during LOTR's shoot. Only nine weeks of the 254-day shoot will be on location. "I've learned to trust the studio," PJ joked.
*The Dwarves enter Rivendell where the Fellowship left it in the EE.
*PJ says he is not overdoing the 3D, for him it's about texture, immersion and seeing more of Middle-earth, though he guarantees the "odd Orc arrow".
*There's a candid conversation between McKellen and Bret McKenzie that was overheard, where McKellen asked him if he was at the Council of Elrond, and McKenzie replied he was just an extra.
*PJ elaborated part of his problem with The Hobbit and why he didn't want to direct it was because of the mass of Dwarves and slightly self-serving quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain's treasure. But soon PJ began to adore the book's tone and differentiate the Dwarves better, because he saw something of himself in them. "We are being more humorous than LOTR but that is the characters. I'm dealing with a bunch of extenuate and forthright Dwarves who are not afraid to say what they think: they have a healthy disregard for the icons of Middle-earth."
*The party's designs are inspired by Vikings, Picts, druids, heavy metal bassists and, erm, Obelix.
*There's a dwarf wedgie ("It's in the appendices", PJ claimed, uhuh) and a "snot gun".
*Elrond will search Dol Guldur's dungeons with Gandalf.
*PJ kept his distance when Del Toro was directing so he didn't see much of his concept art until he realised he would be replacing him. "There's definitely some GDT DNA in the mix, and so there should be, I love some of his designs," but overall he's moving away from GDT's steampunk and clockwork essence in some of his designs.
*PJ and GDT agreed on casting Martin Freeman.
*It was after watching the Sherlock season 1 finale that PJ called Freeman's agent to arrange for two ten-week gaps in The Hobbit shoot to allow Freeman to film season 2 of Sherlock.

Thanks to "Alien traveller",too lazy to type it myself :lol

You're not gonna get that exact kind of texture unless you use cloth. The maquette itself does a great job of making polystone appear to have texture. :)

I don't know, it should be quite easy to sculpt texture. The SSW Morgul Lord, Witch King, RWOS, and, yes, GTG have it.
Maybe i just need to see it in person, so if you're willing to lend me yours............. ;)

I don't know, it should be quite easy to sculpt texture. The SSW Morgul Lord, Witch King, RWOS, and, yes, GTG have it.
Maybe i just need to see it in person, so if you're willing to lend me yours............. ;)

The exact type of texture really can only be done in cloth. There is a level that can be done very well by those pieces and the GTG maquette but its different.

Maybe I'm sure a shop over there in the UK has it. :lol

Yeah, some studios aren't bringing stuff since they don't feel they have enough to bring. I would expect something to do with The Hobbit either this year or next at Comic-Con.

Yeah Im hoping for at least a logo or some concept art for smaug, a younger gollum etc.

General jist of the article in Empire

*A lot of The Hobbit is being filmed indoors due to weather problems during LOTR's shoot. Only nine weeks of the 254-day shoot will be on location. "I've learned to trust the studio," PJ joked.
*The Dwarves enter Rivendell where the Fellowship left it in the EE.
*PJ says he is not overdoing the 3D, for him it's about texture, immersion and seeing more of Middle-earth, though he guarantees the "odd Orc arrow".
*There's a candid conversation between McKellen and Bret McKenzie that was overheard, where McKellen asked him if he was at the Council of Elrond, and McKenzie replied he was just an extra.
*PJ elaborated part of his problem with The Hobbit and why he didn't want to direct it was because of the mass of Dwarves and slightly self-serving quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain's treasure. But soon PJ began to adore the book's tone and differentiate the Dwarves better, because he saw something of himself in them. "We are being more humorous than LOTR but that is the characters. I'm dealing with a bunch of extenuate and forthright Dwarves who are not afraid to say what they think: they have a healthy disregard for the icons of Middle-earth."
*The party's designs are inspired by Vikings, Picts, druids, heavy metal bassists and, erm, Obelix.
*There's a dwarf wedgie ("It's in the appendices", PJ claimed, uhuh) and a "snot gun".
*Elrond will search Dol Guldur's dungeons with Gandalf.
*PJ kept his distance when Del Toro was directing so he didn't see much of his concept art until he realised he would be replacing him. "There's definitely some GDT DNA in the mix, and so there should be, I love some of his designs," but overall he's moving away from GDT's steampunk and clockwork essence in some of his designs.
*PJ and GDT agreed on casting Martin Freeman.
*It was after watching the Sherlock season 1 finale that PJ called Freeman's agent to arrange for two ten-week gaps in The Hobbit shoot to allow Freeman to film season 2 of Sherlock.

Thanks to "Alien traveller",too lazy to type it myself :lol

Thanks for that. :)

Regarding the self-serving attitude of the dwarves, there are 2 things that I hope PJ incudes:

1) At Thorin's death he realizes the folly of his materialism. He sees the value of the simple life. This needs to be a central point of the film.

2) There is another driving force behind the story. Gandalf supports the dwarves' mission because he needs the dragon dealt with. If Sauron would have gotten a-hold of Smaug it would have been a disaster. (From the appendices.)

Thanks for that. :)

Regarding the self-serving attitude of the dwarves, there are 2 things that I hope PJ incudes:

1) At Thorin's death he realizes the folly of his materialism. He sees the value of the simple life. This needs to be a central point of the film.

2) There is another driving force behind the story. Gandalf supports the dwarves' mission because he needs the dragon dealt with. If Sauron would have gotten a-hold of Smaug it would have been a disaster. (From the appendices.)

I hope there is a flashback about Moria as well as the Lonely mountain...even show a glimpse of the Balrog I hope

Back