The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

I think one of the sets can't recall which did use a similar style to the EE LOTR. Was it that one? It may have been one of the foreign releases.

Yeah it was the EE HObbit DVD set that looked like the EE LOTR.

Thats the one that I bought. Had to drive around forever before I finally found it.

I don't need too. I know how all that stuff works. I spent hours calibrating my TV to not make every movie look like a cheap high school production. I was half successful. Depends. Sometimes movies look great, sometimes they don't.

Point is, the Hobbit was incredibly bright, and overly colorful and slightly cheap looking in the theater, and yes in the 24 fps version of the film....which is all due to the frame rate they shot the film.

The Hobbit looked beautiful in the theater and looked beautiful on Blu. Factor that in that it's a pretty awesome movie that's all that matters for me.

Last edited:

The Hobbit looked beautiful in the theater and looked beautiful on Blu. Factor that in that it's a pretty awesome movie that's all that matters for me.

Yep. I read all the "oh my eyes, the horror!" comments regarding the HFR as over dramatic attention seeking hyperbole. It was fascinating to see a film with the clarity of a stage production.

Yep. I read all the "oh my eyes, the horror!" comments regarding the HFR as over dramatic attention seeking hyperbole. It was fascinating to see a film with the clarity of a stage production.

I didn't think it was nearly as awful as some wanted you to believe. Honestly, the only time I could tell a real difference was when two different movements moved a little quicker than others.

I didn't think it was nearly as awful as some wanted you to believe. Honestly, the only time I could tell a real difference was when two different movements moved a little quicker than others.

I did prefer the 24fps just because I was able to focus on the story 100% of the time rather than "noticing" the look of the HFR but I was glad to experience the HFR nonetheless. Nothing to cry about. I'll do the same with DoS. 24 fps for the first viewing, HFR for the second.

I did prefer the 24fps just because I was able to focus on the story 100% of the time rather than "noticing" the look of the HFR but I was glad to experience the HFR nonetheless. Nothing to cry about. I'll do the same with DoS. 24 fps for the first viewing, HFR for the second.

I was glad to do the same thing. The first viewing allowed me to totally pay attention to the story and the second I could look at the new tech. Like you I will do the same with DOS except I am used to the tech now so I'll be just worrying about catching things I missed the first time.

It was fascinating to see a film with the clarity of a stage production.

Yeah... which just about killed it for me.

The live actors looked like they were in a stage play and the CGI characters looked like they were in a video game. Then you had crazy **** like Radagast zooming around on his bunny sled... not sure how to categorize that one. :lol

The thing is, The Hobbit movies will never be as good (Or look as good) as Lord of the rings movies. That's just a fact people need to accept.

Having said that, It is kind of ironic that even though technology is more advanced now and everything and yet the older movies are better. Kind of weird that not only is technology better now, but Peter Jackson already had the experience of working on the first trilogy and everything. Yet the first trilogy will probably be better no matter what they do for the Hobbit films.

The thing is, The Hobbit movies will never be as good (Or look as good) as Lord of the rings movies. That's just a fact people need to accept.

Having said that, It is kind of ironic that even though technology is more advanced now and everything and yet the older movies are better. Kind of weird that not only is technology better now, but Peter Jackson already had the experience of working on the first trilogy and everything. Yet the first trilogy will probably be better no matter what they do for the Hobbit films.

:exactly: I agree. As much as I love the Hobbit and I think it's a great film, LOTR will always have the edge (but only just!!! :) ).

Yet the first trilogy will probably be better no matter what they do for the Hobbit films.

Trilogy vs. trilogy you're probably right but on a move per movie basis I actually find The Hobbit: AUJ to be superior to LOTR:TTT.

I'm just chiming in since you wanted to remind us once again that you didn't like the 48 and what you thought it did to the film. :peace

He seems to have a serious beef for it and it's showing it's eating away at him.

Some and too many people have a lot of hard things to accept in life and they can't accept it sadly. It becomes a personal vendetta.

:exactly: I agree. As much as I love the Hobbit and I think it's a great film, LOTR will always have the edge (but only just!!! :) ).

I do think as good as AUJ was and as good as I expect the next two to be its going to be hard to top The Lord of the Rings. The story itself LOTR vs The Hobbit is one where LOTR comes out on top. I know several folks that have a harder time reading The Hobbit but fly through The Lord of the Rings. Now, I am loving The Hobbit movies and I love Middle-earth but I admit I give the edge to The Lord of the Rings.

Is not only the story itself, but I Was talking about the way the movies look, the way the creatures look, The CGI Vs the real people in costumes, the real sets Vs GCI sets.

I know Lord of the rings has its fair share of CGI, but I think the real sets and real costumes go a long way. CGI is cool when it is not overused, which is most likely what's going to set the trilogies apart.

Back