The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Awesome news. I wonder how much of this decision was based purely on emotion. He seemed genuinely sad in that last video when filming was wrapping. As if he knew it was the last time he'd ever be in that world they created. Good for them and good for us.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first two are successes in the X-mas slot (which they will be), if the third film is pushed to the same slot. There're too many blockbusters coming in the summer of 2014 as it is so they might move it just to better the chances.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first two are successes in the X-mas slot (which they will be), if the third film is pushed to the same slot. There're too many blockbusters coming in the summer of 2014 as it is so they might move it just to better the chances.

I was just thinking that Nam, maybe that's just a place holder in case? Harder to nab a good spot in any summer than during christmas.

I was just thinking that Nam, maybe that's just a place holder in case? Harder to nab a good spot in any summer than during christmas.

Especially with the Batman reboot, X-MEN: First Class 2, Deadpool, Captain America 2, and who knows what else aimed for summer 2014. :lol

:exactly:

I'm not too sure if WB will have the boots on the ground quite then for the Batman reboot however.

They will. Especially with Avengers 2 being pushed. They need to build up to a JLA release. Given that, it'd be way wiser to hold off on the 3rd Hobbit film until X-Mas to guarantee the repeat holiday viewings.

They will. Especially with Avengers 2 being pushed. They need to build up to a JLA release. Given that, it'd be way wiser to hold off on the 3rd Hobbit film until X-Mas to guarantee the repeat holiday viewings.

It will be interesting to see, if it really is only 2 years away, you think WB would have announced a director/writer or something. :lol

I'm hoping for a xmas release for the third film, Every other one is coming out then so I'm not sure why they'd change it. Plus, if part 2 is coming out winter 2013 that means part 3 will be out less than a year later...

Hopefully it does get pushed to xmas. LOTR viewing was a festive tradition:lecture

Awesome news. I wonder how much of this decision was based purely on emotion. He seemed genuinely sad in that last video when filming was wrapping. As if he knew it was the last time he'd ever be in that world they created. Good for them and good for us.

Agreed! I think money is obviously part of it but I think he wants to film more because he loves the material. The video blog and how he talked at sdcc makes me think he truly enjoys middle-earth.

I think it will end up being pushed back to x-mas as that's it's traditional slot.

Peter-Jackson-Meeting-With-Actors-For-The-Hobbit.jpg

In Jackson we trust.

I still say the Summer release hurt the second Chronicles of Narnia movie. It just did not feel right putting out a movie in that genre during the summertime.

Yeah, it was odd for that and I think would be odd for this. However, either time slot allows me to see the ____ out of it.

Peter-Jackson-Meeting-With-Actors-For-The-Hobbit.jpg

In Jackson we trust.

:exactly:

I have to admit, that when the wheels first started turning on Hobbit pre-production I was a little bit worried about PJ's mental health, but now he seems energized and enthusiastic so I have no doubt these will be nothing less than when we expect them to be.

Last edited:

I think his motivations have changed over the course of this whole production, and that's a good thing.

He didn't originally want to direct The Hobbit, and I think it was a purely financial matter when as a producer he was basically forced by GDT's departure to take over or else see the project fall apart and lose everything. Then he actually got invested as a director and storyteller and it seems he discovered his passion for the material in the process of making the film. So now he is genuinely excited about fleshing it out instead of just being a producer with a vested financial interest forced to take the reins as director. If this decision comes (at least in part) from a renewed enthusiasm for the material and a desire to do more creative storytelling in this world he's helped create, then this could be a good thing.

I think the plan was always to bring out the Hobbit extended versions on Blu-Ray/DVD, but they thought about it and decided rather than do that, they should just make it three movies which would make more money.

That could be, Dino. We're all speculating at this point. But, I don't think everything has been filmed for the third one yet.

So I'm guessing the second movie will be added to and fleshed out / expanded into two films?

Or is the third film all new stuff that needs to be shot? I'm confused as it seems they're taking the opposite approach from LOTR (cutting things out to fit a trilogy) and adding stuff to fill up 3 movies.

Back