The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Well, here you go:

It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers,

Peter J

It will be fun to see more Middle Earth, but we now have one Hobbit book being given the same trilogy treatment as all of The Lord of the Rings. Maybe LOTR should have been nine films.

3 movies? :google I kinda thought they were stretching it with two. I guess they're digging deeper into the appendices than originally anticipated.

My gut reaction is that this looks like a cash grab and no good will come of it. However, Peter Jackson hasn't steered us wrong yet....

I like Peter Jackson and Loved the LOTR trilogy, but for some reason I just can't get excited about this movie.

I really hope that changes but the first trailer just didn't do much for me. Now this announcement about them turning the series into another trilogy just seems like a poor attempt to get more money from us.

No complaints here. Cash grab or no, more Middle Earth (as long as it is based on the appendices and not fan fiction) is always welcome in my life.

:lol @ the freaks already whining about 3 movies. Jackson filled holes nicely in the LOTR trilogy and there's zero reason to think he won't do so here too, with the same success. Looking forward to an epic companion trilogy to the LOTR trilogy. :D

As long as it's of the same quality as the LotR trilogy, I don't see the problem. :dunno

The more Jackson/Tolkien the better, imo. :yess:

No complaints here. Cash grab or no, more Middle Earth (as long as it is based on the appendices and not fan fiction) is always welcome in my life.

No complaints here. With all that's in the appendices and knowing how well PJ does with this material this should rock. The material in the appendices and how it will help blend the hobbit and lotr should help make this the best series of 6 films made.

It will be fun to see more Middle Earth, but we now have one Hobbit book being given the same trilogy treatment as all of The Lord of the Rings. Maybe LOTR should have been nine films.
I agree. They should go back and make six more. :yess:

:lol @ the freaks already whining about 3 movies. Jackson filled holes nicely in the LOTR trilogy and there's zero reason to think he won't do so here too, with the same success. Looking forward to an epic companion trilogy to the LOTR trilogy. :D

The more the better. I have my faith in Peter Jackson. He doesn't make ____.

I just think that a bunch of little stories filling in gaps in the appendices is not the same as a single, unified plot. It could very easily feel disjointed to patch together a bunch of little anecdotes. There's a reason that Tolkien stuck them in the back, and PJ will have a challenge before him if he wants it to feel cohesive.

But nobody is better qualified than Peter Jackson, and if he can make it work, then it will be a ton of fun to go back to Middle Earth one last time. It would be great to see Aragorn tracking Gollum, if only that can be made to fit organically and not as part of a "Greatest Hits From the Appendices" mishmash. I wouldn't trust anybody else with this project.

Yeah, I trust pj to do this. If it was someone else not so much but with PJ I'm all in.

I'm in, PJ can do no wrong when in middle earth mode. :rock: Doing just 2 films seemed weird to me anyway, I think this was inevitable. Would love to see more about the driving out of Sauron from Dol Guldur.

Those saying this is a cash grab, the films are released a year apart, I'm sure we can save up for the tickets all year:lol It will be no 3D for me as per though, as that is a blatant cash grab for any film.

I don't get why LOTRs wasn't a 6 movie epic? :lol

3 Films for a (rather) short book? I'm in, I just don't understand. :lol

I don't get why LOTRs wasn't a 6 movie epic? :lol

3 Films for a (rather) short book? I'm in, I just don't understand. :lol

I think they would have been if the studio knew how much cash and awards they would eventually take. They ain't gonna make that mistake now.

Back