The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Tell me about it Josh!! :hi5:

Who do you honestly think has the better chance of doing Hobbit statues? If i was to put money on it, i'd say Weta have the biggest shout for statues and enviros, GG is surely now doing the busts after that Thorin reveal, and surely SS will get PF's, and hopefully figures for all you figure fans, and who knows, hopefully some dios.

I don't know. Licensing can be so complicated from what it seems so its anyones guess. I'm sure SS, Weta, and GG will all have items for The Hobbit. The fun part is thinking about what might be.

I dusted off my copy of The Hobbit a couple days ago, think I'm gonna give it another read. It seams shorter then I remember.

Just started again myself. This will be my 3rd read through in 4 years.

Can't wait to see Smaug. I also want to see how they portray The Necromancer. I'm sort of picturing him with basically the same Sauron armor that we see in LOTR but with more robes and a different helm.

If any of you do getglue.com, there's going to be stickers for The Hobbit!!! First one is available now, with the movie title logo. I'm hoping since they're starting them now that there will be one of every dwarf!!!

If any of you do getglue.com, there's going to be stickers for The Hobbit!!! First one is available now, with the movie title logo. I'm hoping since they're starting them now that there will be one of every dwarf!!!

Nice! I'm gonna get all of them. :rock

I also want to see how they portray The Necromancer. I'm sort of picturing him with basically the same Sauron armor that we see in LOTR but with more robes and a different helm.

It's been a while since I read the Hobbit but if they follow the "rules" of the book(s) I don't think we won't actually see the Necromancer... At least not in physical form since Sauron couldn't do that in LOTR, just the eye, so he wouldn't be able to do that in The Hobbit. (As you probably know they actually filmed a sequence for Return of the King at the Black Gates with Sauron fighting Aragorn but luckily they came to their senses and changed that and replaced Sauron with the Battle Troll.) It will be interesting to see how they will portray the Necromancer in the Hobbit, perhaps as a smaller/more simplistic version of the eye... I always thought of him as only a "presence" but I guess that won't translate well to film. I trust PJ and the Weta team will come up with something good!

I have an idea that we may see at least glimpses of the nine riders in the Hobbit, at least the Witch King. That would tie nicely into LOTR and the line when Saruman says to Gandalf that the Nine have left Minas Morgul, to where I imagine they may have been chased after the attack on Dol Goldur and then stayed there. Perhaps the Mouth of Sauron also makes an apperance, he could very well be present in Dol Goldur and act as "The Mouth of the Necromancer", in ROTK EE he does call Gandalf "Old graybeard" like they have met before, or maybe he just know of Gandalf by reputation...

Oh, the joy of speculating :)

It's been a while since I read the Hobbit but if they follow the "rules" of the book(s) I don't think we won't actually see the Necromancer... At least not in physical form since Sauron couldn't do that in LOTR, just the eye, so he wouldn't be able to do that in The Hobbit. (As you probably know they actually filmed a sequence for Return of the King at the Black Gates with Sauron fighting Aragorn but luckily they came to their senses and changed that and replaced Sauron with the Battle Troll.) It will be interesting to see how they will portray the Necromancer in the Hobbit, perhaps as a smaller/more simplistic version of the eye... I always thought of him as only a "presence" but I guess that won't translate well to film. I trust PJ and the Weta team will come up with something good!

I have an idea that we may see at least glimpses of the nine riders in the Hobbit, at least the Witch King. That would tie nicely into LOTR and the line when Saruman says to Gandalf that the Nine have left Minas Morgul, to where I imagine they may have been chased after the attack on Dol Goldur and then stayed there. Perhaps the Mouth of Sauron also makes an apperance, he could very well be present in Dol Goldur and act as "The Mouth of the Necromancer", in ROTK EE he does call Gandalf "Old graybeard" like they have met before, or maybe he just know of Gandalf by reputation...

Oh, the joy of speculating :)

(Excuse me while I put on the 'ol geek-hat :lol)
I've never been sure just how "physical" Sauron actually was by the War of The Ring. I always thought that he was in a state similar to the Ringwraiths but not yet strong enough to go into battle and the "Eye" was a manifestation of his power. You make some great points though and may be right. Although I believe at the time of The Battle Of Dol Guldur the Ringwraiths were already in Mordor preparing for Sauron's return. I remember reading in the LOTR Appendicies or maybe it was in The Book Of Lost Tales that Khamul (who was 2nd to the Witch-King and the only other named Ringwraith) and an other 'wraith occupied Dol guldur before Sauron came there. But I hope you're right about seeing some Ringwraiths. Hell, if Legolas can get a cameo why can't The Witch-King :lol.

I definitely agree that it is great to have something to speculate about again! :duff

(Geek hat off and back to work :( ...........for now)

Last edited:

Question.

In the trailer when Gandalf says "and if you do you will not be the same" Is this in the book? If it is i musta missed it. Also, i would like your interpretation of this line. I have my own, but would like to hear others.

Question.

In the trailer when Gandalf says "and if you do you will not be the same" Is this in the book? If it is i musta missed it. Also, i would like your interpretation of this line. I have my own, but would like to hear others.

Bilbo ends up swinging a bit more to the tookish side of the family.

Question.

I don't recall if that was in "The Hobbit" or not. If it was in the book, I think that it would have refered to the fact the Bilbo was going to find out that he was capable of more than he gave himself credit for. It wouldn't have much to do beyond that since Tolkien hadn't developed the history and lore of The Rings of Power at the time The Hobbit was written. If you look at it from the movies, maybe Gandalf foresaw that Bilbo's adventure would somehow play into the future of Middle Earth but He didn't know to what extent. It wasn't until about 60 years after Bilbo found the Ring that Gandalf determined that it was The One Ring of Sauron.

Last edited:

It's not in the book. As far as what I think the line means is that Bilbo won't be the same hobbit when he gets back. He's not either when you see how he is at the start/finish.

It's not in the book. As far as what I think the line means is that Bilbo won't be the same hobbit when he gets back. He's not either when you see how he is at the start/finish.

This is what I would take from it.

Cant wait to see what Smaug looks like, and Beorn in action in the battle of the five armies. Why didnt they get Brain Blessed to play Beorn? that would have been perfect...The BEAST:gah:

Back