The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

The 3D trailer was breathtaking. Now, to see if I can read all 5 books before December 2012...

PJ is lookin a little robust again these days. Don't envy him one bit. Stress/Cortisol levels must be like a wicked roller coaster.

PJ looked weird skinny. Definitely looks better/healthier looking chubby

Just hate to see someone make such radical changes only to reverse it back again. Think he had the stomach bypass surgery thing didnt he?

How can anyone prefer the theatrical over the EE??? That's like saying saying, people prefer PT over OT. Blasphemy!

Peter Jackson prefers the carefully worked out faster pacing of the theatrical cuts and thinks that adding scenes and lengthening the cut can hurt the momentum and impact of the films, but he did it for the fans. He calls the longer cuts "too long" and "less strong" and "a novelty" while the theatrical cuts are "the best possible cut" and "definitive" for him. I personally enjoy the added material, but I definitely respect his opinion:

"We had a 4 hour 15 minute cut of Return of the King with everything in there that we shot but it was too long. It felt like the emotional impact of the film was being diluted, it was just too long. So we started trimming the film back. The length to me was totally related to the emotional impact of the last 20-30 minutes and I wanted that to be as strong as it could. The longer the film was, the least strong it got because you felt like you'd been there for too long and it lost its impact.

The extended versions are interesting because I do the extended versions for the fans, really. To me every time I put a scene in it, it's mucking up the momentum. The theatrical versions are very carefully worked out. We spent a whole year trying to get the best possible cut.

So I do these extended cuts thinking that people will like to see these scenes. But I'm aware every time I put something in [that] the momentum of the scene going to be slow. This is going to slow the first act down. Every time I think I'm spoiling the film, but I'm doing it because people want to see it.

The theatrical versions are the definitive versions. I regard the extended cuts as being a novelty for the fans that really want to see the extra material."

Peter Jackson prefers the carefully worked out faster pacing of the theatrical cuts and thinks that adding scenes and lengthening the cut can hurt the momentum and impact of the films, but he did it for the fans. He calls the longer cuts "too long" and "less strong" and "a novelty" while the theatrical cuts are "the best possible cut" and "definitive" for him. I personally enjoy the added material, but I definitely respect his opinion:

"We had a 4 hour 15 minute cut of Return of the King with everything in there that we shot but it was too long. It felt like the emotional impact of the film was being diluted, it was just too long. So we started trimming the film back. The length to me was totally related to the emotional impact of the last 20-30 minutes and I wanted that to be as strong as it could. The longer the film was, the least strong it got because you felt like you'd been there for too long and it lost its impact.

The extended versions are interesting because I do the extended versions for the fans, really. To me every time I put a scene in it, it's mucking up the momentum. The theatrical versions are very carefully worked out. We spent a whole year trying to get the best possible cut.

So I do these extended cuts thinking that people will like to see these scenes. But I'm aware every time I put something in [that] the momentum of the scene going to be slow. This is going to slow the first act down. Every time I think I'm spoiling the film, but I'm doing it because people want to see it.

The theatrical versions are the definitive versions. I regard the extended cuts as being a novelty for the fans that really want to see the extra material."

Maybe he had to say that for the studio so that the TC DVD/Bluray could sell well.

When did he say this.

I knew the extended editions weren't his vision, but I never knew he felt that way about the theatrical versions. I always thought we'd someday get yet another version of the films the way Jackson wanted them... I guess we already have them. Now it makes me want to watch the theatricals again.

PJ is not GL.

Thats why he feels the way he does about them. :)

I know what I'll be doing on Christmas Eve 2012 at midnight!

That is....if the world doesn't end on the 23rd. :(

Edit: Saw the trailer before TinTin and this is coming out Dec. 14th?

At least I'll get to see the first half before the end comes! Woot! :lol

Last edited:

I knew the extended editions weren't his vision, but I never knew he felt that way about the theatrical versions. I always thought we'd someday get yet another version of the films the way Jackson wanted them... I guess we already have them. Now it makes me want to watch the theatricals again.

I can understand his way of thinking when it comes to seeing a film in the theater for the first time. Most people just won't sit through that long of a movie, whereas, someone who loves the film as much as we fans do, will love the longer versions.

I figured there was even more to them than the extendeds and that we'd see those someday. I guess not.

I just hope he films The Hobbit with the fans in mind. :)

Just showed my 9 year old daughter the trailer, she's like meh.

Needless to say she's grounded.

Well then, she got off easy.

:)

Peter Jackson has just joined George Lucas in my opinion that each is the main villain of his own franchise.

:)

But both the Theatrical and Extended editions were released on Blu-ray. :wink1:

Back