The Official STAR WARS Character Spin-Off Movies Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many spin offs can you have from the OT?

Harrison and Mark can still work in a new Trilogy, but alot of what we sort of already accept as post OT cannon was from the 90s novels and alot of that had to do with things like Leia's courtships. I think looking at Carrie today that ship has sailed. Your not going to convince me galactic princes would fight for a 60 year old woman. So it seems like they will need to rely on their children etc, new younger characters and the few old school ones that could carry a whole movie we've already seen alot of ret-conning happen to because of the PT. Chewie and Fett are the only two characters I can imagine carrying an entire movie and Chewies pushing it. Frankly it sounds like a spinoff would be setting itself up to follow in the wake of those ewok movies.

IMO there's room for endless spinoffs if they like. Pretty much like there is endless room for comic book movies.

The SW universe is virtually as broad as Marvel or DC in a way.

I can completely see Boba Fett I, II, II just as there were Iron Man I, II and III.

I can see endless films based on jedi adventures or X-Wing squadron.

A Yoda film. A Jabba gangster film. A Lando quasi-"I'm a playa" film :lol.

Really, its all about how much budget do they need to put into it and how much return they'll get.

If they are wise and not put $300m into every film then they can really crank these out almost on a yearly basis and just roll in the returns. Some of it really depends on if they find big names to anchor each individual film.

If they snag a relative big name for Boba Fett, I'm serious they can make his films alone become an Iron Man type franchise.

I don't see most of those ideas working in a 2 hour movie, a Jabba film? Comics are one thing but if that animated Clone Wars thing with main characters didn't work why would a solo Jabba adventure or 60 year old Billy Dee Williams Lando movie?

I'll give you Rogue Squadron though, I'd see that. That and Boba Fett are all I can imagine and I'm pretty well versed in all the 90's EU stuff before the PT hit. Maybe they could do an animated/CG Shadows of the Empire too.

Depends how young you need to go. I hate going to this well every single time I make a casting suggestion, but one of my favorite young black actors was the kid that played Smash Williams in Friday Night Lights. He's currently in Greys Anatomy, but I never watch that so not sure if he's good in it.

His character in FNL is basically a good kid that gets caught up in steroids because he needs to advance his football career to the next level. Ends up screwing himself over and has to redeem himself. He also played a bit of a lady's man. He handled those themes pretty well, so I think he'd be a good Lando.

296px-Gaius_Charles_at_the_2008_Tribeca_Film_Festival.JPG

Last edited:
Speaking of Rogue Squadron, no one has mentioned the hope of seeing Denis Lawson as Wedge in the Sequel Trilogy. Apart from the core heroes, was there any other character to be in all three films?

Speaking of Rogue Squadron, no one has mentioned the hope of seeing Denis Lawson as Wedge in the Sequel Trilogy. Apart from the core heroes, was there any other character to be in all three films?

Originally? No, there was only Wedge.

But the ANH:SE made it so that Fett also appeared in all three films. He's the only other character to do so.

Originally? No, there was only Wedge.

But the ANH:SE made it so that Fett also appeared in all three films. He's the only other character to do so.

And yet, Boba's so cool he made it onto a SW card in the vintage line and Wedge never got his own figure :lol

Rogue Squadron will ONLY work if there is a MAIN protagonist...just calling it Rogue Squadron won't get any buy-in. Marvel/Disnay did it right with Avengers by starting with Iron Man...gives a MAIN protagonist to the group as a whole...someone/something for viewers to root for.

Rogue Squadron will ONLY work if there is a MAIN protagonist...just calling it Rogue Squadron won't get any buy-in. Marvel/Disnay did it right with Avengers by starting with Iron Man...gives a MAIN protagonist to the group as a whole...someone/something for viewers to root for.

Huh?

You don't think people know who Wedge is? :lol We just established that the ice cream guy from .10 second scene has an action figure. Wedge destroyed 2 death stars and carried comics and games and books. I've come to hate SW but I'd pay to see a Rogue Squadron movie.

I'm not really following.

Of course every movie has the main character. This wouldn't be any different. IMO it doesn't need a special movie to establish who that is any more than we needed a Maverick movie before we knew who the main protagonist of Top Gun was.

A Rogue Squadron movie can be basically use X-Wings instead of F-16s, hopefully without the volleyball and kareoke.

Back