The Mental Health Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Mental Heath Thread

I've been in and out of depression since i was Twelve when i had a feeding tube inserted to combat my malnutrition.

I became extremely self concious, stopped hanging out with friends, stopped playing sports for fear or pulling it and being in pain. Just generally became very withdrawn from social activity.

I've been generally a lone wolf type since then. Thugh my Depression isn't debilitating as i can still function in most ways, i have self-confidence issues stemming from back when i became withdrawn.

I don't hang out with my friends as much either, I can relate to this post, I don't like it but I have been withdrawn as well, And since people like to get in touch with you online then it makes it more so.

A lot of the friends I had in College ended up moving out, usually to other cities around here, so I do talk to them online but don't see them. It is a problem.
I don't like drinking or smoking, so going out at night is not something I do, my life is kinda lonely as well.

Depression for me personally is probably the least of my problems and I'd imagine most of it actually amounts from the pressure of my health problems mounting up. I try my best to focus on getting to a better state of health and it keeps me in good spirits most of the time.

I've never heard of using light bulbs to reduce depression , it's certainly interesting. I was also recently diagnosed with stomach erosion and an ulcer after undergoing an endoscopy so I think there's something physically going on with me that is causing all of these deficiencies and mental problems that the doctors have yet to find.

I've got a lot of friends and family so that helps also. I think the worst thing you can do with health problems is dwell on them as hard as it might seem. Diet , attitude , lifestyle and making sure you know what's wrong if anything are what I'd consider the most important aspects to health.

You reminded me, I have an ulcer and I think they said I had a hernia as well inside my stomach,
I have had problems with my kidneys and my liver.

I don't hang out with my friends as much either, I can relate to this post, I don't like it but I have been withdrawn as well, And since people like to get in touch with you online then it makes it more so.

A lot of the friends I had in College ended up moving out, usually to other cities around here, so I do talk to them online but don't see them. It is a problem.
I don't like drinking or smoking, so going out at night is not something I do, my life is kinda lonely as well.

You reminded me, I have an ulcer and I think they said I had a hernia as well inside my stomach,
I have had problems with my kidneys and my liver.

Have you been tested for a stomach bug called H pylori ?.
Apparently it's the cause of 80% of ulcers and can cause deficiencies and depression , might be worth a look. I'm waiting on results back currently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicobacter_pylori

I don't drink or smoke either and recently haven't been going out anywhere with my health but before I got as bad as I am now I used to like going out. I can have a good time without booze and best of all it's a lot cheaper !. :lol

First off this is a great idea for a thread. The more people talk about mental illness the less of a taboo it becomes.

I have a history of mental health problems but I use that now as motivation to help others.

I am currently at my Masters training to be a therapist. My life goal is to help others recover and feel better about themselves, situations and lives.

I still struggle to this day with anxiety and depression but those symptoms have been mitigated and are better managed.

Getting by an hour at a time on a good day is me, not even getting out of bed at bad times. Every day is a battle and that's not even touching on the physical problems I got.

I was thinking of my 'family' last night and all my immediate family have issues of varying degrees. My sister is currently dying because of her probs that started nearly 30 years ago, come to think of it, it's her 40th today. The sad part is it will undoubtedly continue to the next generation as she has young boys that are losing their mum, so I have no doubt they will suffer from some form of depression at some point.
I hope they don't but experience tells me they will.
x :peace

Last edited:

I'll just throw it out there that this might be an appropriate topic to move to a discussion group rather than an open forum.

First off this is a great idea for a thread. The more people talk about mental illness the less of a taboo it becomes.

I have a history of mental health problems but I use that now as motivation to help others.

I am currently at my Masters training to be a therapist. My life goal is to help others recover and feel better about themselves, situations and lives.

I still struggle to this day with anxiety and depression but those symptoms have been mitigated and are better managed.

I remember Joe Pantoliano coming out about his depression a few years ago. He admitted he was depressed for many years and finally got some help and he felt so much better about it. I think that helped a lot of people.

Getting by an hour at a time on a good day is me, not even getting out of bed at bad times. Every day is a battle and that's not even touching on the physical problems I got.

I was thinking of my 'family' last night and all my immediate family have issues of varying degrees. My sister is currently dying because of her probs that started nearly 30 years ago, come to think of it, it's her 40th today. The sad part is it will undoubtedly continue to the next generation as she has young boys that are losing their mum, so I have no doubt they will suffer from some form of depression at some point.
I hope they don't but experience tells me they will.
x :peace

Very sorry to hear about your problems Shell. It's one thing having problems yourself whether physical or mental but even worse when you're talking about immediate family.

I remember Joe Pantoliano coming out about his depression a few years ago. He admitted he was depressed for many years and finally got some help and he felt so much better about it. I think that helped a lot of people.

Yeah things like that help break down the stereotypes.

Linda Hamilton is Bi-Polar and very open about it as well.

That's really sad about your Sister Adoptedscot.

I'm very close to my Sis and couldn't imagine her not being around

Very sorry to hear about your problems Shell. It's one thing having problems yourself whether physical or mental but even worse when you're talking about immediate family.
Thanks guys :1-1:
It's a wierd situation really, I only found out about her situation just before chrimbo when the wicked witch of the north found me. I haven't actually spoken to my sister since '03 but she's always been there ya know?, I always thought she'd be there but it's just a matter of time now as her body is shutting down apparently. Despite our losing touch, she's still my sister but because of the Witch (so called 'mother'), I've not been able to nor will I get to talk to her before she passes, and that is gonna kill me.
Growing up I've always been known as the 'softie' of the family, like my dad was, I guess that's why it's getting to me so much.

Reading this thread, I wish things like diet/light bulbs even therapy etc would help my 'Mental Health', but for me they won't (I tried). Those things won't switch my brain off, hell I wish they would, I might actually get some peace then.
Ah well, at least when I come here I can pretend to be happy, that distracts me a little. Although I must admit in all the years I've been here I've NEVER shared this much with others, I guess I'm just beyond the point of caring right now. Sorry for rambling :eek:
x :1-1:

Last edited:

Essential fatty acids also help give a sense of mental well being as well, as in omega 3 6 and 9 fatty acids, like from Hempseed oil or Udo's Choice oil blend. Some people use EPA DHA from fish oil, though I never use that.
Hicks mentioned vitamin D, which can usually be gained from 10 minutes a day in full sun on face and arms, though it varies by the time of year and climate. If you spend most of your time indoors, it is remarkable how spending some time in the sun can make you feel more vital. Exercise really helps too, with the endorphins.

Vitamin B12 is necessary to properly utilize amino acids, to help you to be strong, and so to better handle stress. If you are deficient, that can make depression somewhat worse.
Vitamin C helps you to handle stress too, and the more stress you are under, the more vitamin C you need.

I have worked for a flax seed oil manufacturer for almost 16 years. Flax is very high in omega-3 fatty acid (alpha linolenic acid). We also manufacture dietary supplements with fish oils, which are high in DHA and EPA. Your body can convert omega-3 into DHA and EPA. Most people don't need to add more omega-6 and omega-9 to their diets. If someone wants to supplement their diet with essential fatty acids, take flax or fish products. Walnuts are high in omega-3, also.

I can't contribute much to the mental health topic, but I saw "Udo's Choice" oil and felt compelled to say something.

I enjoy the Chinese healing music
Earth
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLg9XxNu558[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3rFkDBtJyg[/ame]

Spring 2
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HFy4VwMbzQ[/ame]

Summer
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpVAgoX6EY[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rz2jpPevRI[/ame]
That scenery reminds me of the Unknown World from KOTOR

LoL they had this on when I went to do acupuncture.
thanks for sharing,

Acupuncture helped me for some things, I noticed changes in my body and my stomach, it did help a little bit,

I have worked for a flax seed oil manufacturer for almost 16 years. Flax is very high in omega-3 fatty acid (alpha linolenic acid). We also manufacture dietary supplements with fish oils, which are high in DHA and EPA. Your body can convert omega-3 into DHA and EPA. Most people don't need to add more omega-6 and omega-9 to their diets. If someone wants to supplement their diet with essential fatty acids, take flax or fish products. Walnuts are high in omega-3, also.

I can't contribute much to the mental health topic, but I saw "Udo's Choice" oil and felt compelled to say something.

If you want a really potent EPA DHA supplement, it takes 100 gallons of fish oil to make a gallon of it.
It can also be derived from sea vegetables, for substantially higher cost.
I think it was 5 times as much.

Flax is an excellent oil, but my understanding is that it isn't as balanced for human health as hempseed or Udo's, which includes flax as well as evening primrose and vitamin E , among others. It is also important to get fresh flax oil, because it is very unstable and turns rancid quickly, turning to linseed oil, (which is used in oil paints) Rancid flax oil smells a lot like like oil paints. I've had flax, and if fresh, is very good, with a nutty flavor. Oils should be kept refrigerated and generally for no longer than a month.

I like the taste of fresh flax oil the best compared to hempseed, which tastes like green peanut oil, and Udo's, but I like Udo's best for the feeling of well being I get from it. I have nothing against flax. I recommend it.

so eating right can help with depression?

what types of foods should be avoided? what should be eaten?

so eating right can help with depression?

what types of foods should be avoided? what should be eaten?

You should avoid fried foods and foods with refined sugar, as well as those with a lot of chemical additives.

Anything with refined sugar is going to be bad, as it releases a lot of energy all at once, and then you crash later.
That basically means avoiding sodas, and instead going for fresh juices, water, tea, or something else without refined sugar.

Cane Juice is better than sugar. It contains small amounts of vitamins and minerals, and has a certain flavor to it that is quite good. it also has natural things in it that the body recognizes that helps to tell the body when it has had enough.

Refined sugar is so refined that those natural components are taken out, so you can eat a lot of it and not feel sick to your stomach. Because of this, it is difficult to tell when you are eating a lot of refined sugar, unless you read the labels. You wouldn't even know something had sugar in it were it not labeled.

Another thing to mention on sugar in foods is that companies will use different kinds of sugars in the same food. This is done to make it seem like there is less sugar in it than there actually is, in proportion to the rest of the rest of the ingredients. Were it not for the fact that a lot of sugared breakfast cereals have a few different types of sugar, sugar would be the first ingredient on the label. Many different sugars add up to one gargantuan sugar.

Stay away from aspartame /NutraSweet for example, because it causes low IQ in children and brain damage. The stuff is worse than sugar.

In general it is not good to cook oils, as it turns the fats from cis to trans and causes free radicals, as well as destroying the enzyme lipase, which is the enzyme that helps you to digest fat. Cooked fats, especially fried ones, make you feel sluggish and heavy compared to raw ones.

Raw foods like salads are light and invigorating, however, best to have dressings like olive oil and vinegar or olive oil, lemon and garlic, or some other with raw oils rather than a pasteurized one, like a dairy based one.

Having a juice extractor to make fresh organic carrot juice is awesome for vitality. The best carrots are a rich vibrant orange color, with green ends that haven't turned brownish yet. The more vibrant green the green on the end is, as opposed to brown, the fresher the carrot. You can feel the difference between freshly extracted juice and that bought in a bottle.

Best to eat as organic as possible, especially making sure that potatoes, peanuts, grape and raisins are organic.
Steaming I find to be better than baking for potatoes and other vegetables. Anything you can steam is more vital like that, in my experience.
I also bake and boil some things.
I never microwave. Eating microwaved food causes an increase in white blood cells, which is an indication of infection. I never felt my best after eating microwaved food.

Barbecuing is also to be avoided, but if you really like the flavor, decide if that flavor is worth how it makes you feel afterwards.
https://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=138

Don't misunderstand me, some things need to be cooked, but when it comes to fats, they have a less heavy feeling when raw.
I went on an all raw food diet for some time, and although I felt very light, I also got weak, so I found that an all raw diet wasn't practical.
I've had both raw tahini and roasted tahini, and I can feel the difference in how much energy I have.

Although I recommend as vegan a diet as possible, if you are going to have meat products, I suggest fish like Salmon. Salmon is pretty easy to digest and is pretty energizing.

I advise against shellfish, because it tends to have a lot of toxins in it because shellfish are bottom feeders, and a lot of people get sick from shellfish.

Animal products are very high in pesticides and other chemicals if they aren't organic, so I would avoid as much as isn't organic as I could.

Pay attention to how you feel after you eat something. Feeling full is one thing, but feeling heavy, sluggish and tired is something else.

Experiment and find out the best way to practice these principles for you.

My mum might be coming out of hers. Just spoke to her and she was talkative and laughing and generally more relaxed and bright. Said she's coming over for Easter.

I mentioned to her just the other day about coming over and she was nervous and didn't want to.

(hers is a more potent form, she'll have it for a certain period of time and then one day she's out of it like a haze has been lifted)

I'm sure if I were tested they'd find cases of mental illness and depression. I don't plan on finding out though.

As far as physical health goes (and it's correlation with mental health), the info in this thread is dead on. I'd say I eat alright and am physically fit, but man if my stomach isn't in a knot. I probably have an ulcer or something. I'm almost certain it's stress related. This time of year (the cold of winter), I tend to feel like a piece of **** and my ambition stinks because of it. It isn't until the spring where I'm fully energized and ready to go.

Oh, and I know for a fact I have a few OCDs, especially when it comes to my house. I don't think it's compromised my character though, I keep a lot in.

I can relate with this. I have "depression" and "OCD", and "panic disorder" and some other "labels". These labels have been given to people for the sole purpose of selling drugs to us. Sometimes drugs have been made without even a disease for them yet. It's sad really. Like "Social Anxiety Disorder". Or as they used to call it.. SHYNESS.

Try to separate yourself from these labels that have been given to you (or that you may have given yourself through research, etc), and live as if it were back in the cavemen days. EVERYONE is different, and everyone has some sort of "mental illness".

Be yourself and be proud of it. Period. You are a fantastic person, I can tell.

Never compare yourself to others (not saying you do, but just a rule for my own self when I get down) as we are all different, no one is "better" than anyone else, in ANY WAY. Life isn't some sort of competition, like it's sometimes made out to be.

One day at a time. Short and sweet. Not even one day at a time, one moment at a time, live in the moment. As hard as it is sometimes, life is a gift. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Do what you enjoy, and be proud of it.

These are just my 2 cents in regards to the matter. This mentality has helped me cope and enjoy what I know I enjoy. Hope this can help some people here!!

:1-1: :hi5: :wave

Back