The Mask (1994 Jim Carrey movie) custom 1/6 figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach_rch

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey everybody

I recently got into the 1/6 game and felt like doing a custom figure. I have a friend who's a tailor and another friend who's a 3D character artist, so that kind of gives me an upper hand as I don't need to do everything alone :)

I always was in fond of Jim Carrey's The Mask character and he seemed like a good candidate for our first figure. Asmus version is abysmal by today standards, so that's another reason. I read that Cult King is about to make one, but since there were only 30 people interested out of 50 required I decided maybe not to wait until that happens and see how for can I go with my newly assembled team. If we don't reach a satisfying quality then I can always buy the superior one, but there's certainly not as much fun involved :)

So here are the first pics of the suit. Very early prototype, just to test some stuff. We can see what areas need improvement and an updated version should happen within the next few days. The 1st version of the headsculpt should be done during the weekend.

I'm super excited about this new endeavour so here's some pics of where we're at. Everything here is handmade from scratch.

I'm pretty happy with the shirt and the pants, minor improvements are needed. Blazer needs most, as well as all of the pockets.

As for the lining, tie, suspenders and the pocket square, the plan is to print the pattern in the final version, but for the prototype we'll probably leave them white or paint them just for the reference.

Let me know what you think! :)

That's really cool. Can't wait to see what the head sculpt is going to look like.

Time for a little update as I have the completed The Mask zoot suit prototype mark I :)

It's far from perfect, but it's a good starting point.

The blazer is too wide in the shoulders and too short - it should reach the knees. The sleeves are too long. Some minor improvements here and there could work wonders.

Pants are okay, though the legs are too narrow at the bottom and cannot cover the shoes. Easy fix though.

The pockets are the most troublesome - they look really bad and I'm seriously thinking about removing them from the prototype suit mark II.

The shirt is preeeeetty good. The collar looks awesome in person.

About the collar... it makes the neck barely visible so I need to replace it with an affordable and TTM18 compatible giraffe neck - any recommendations? :)

I made a huge mistake assuming I could replace buttons with magnets - they simply don't hold well enough. The issue is I have no idea where to get those tiny buttons from... Could anybody help me out?

Finally - the head sculpt. My 3D artist had some other stuff on his mind so the works have been postponed until the upcoming Monday. Final sculpt should be ready by Wednesday. Hopefully we'll be able to make an attachable hat as well.

I'm also thinking about the accessories. Wooden mask is a no brainer. Maybe we'll do Milo the dog with interchangeable heads (with and without the mask). We'll see how it goes.

Let me know what you think!

Great work I'm looking forward to seeing the final product although I'll be getting cultking one was wondering will you be offering the sculpt for those who have the asmus figure?

Thanks Godfather1408!

If I'm happy enough with the headsculpt to invest in making a small run of casts then sure, I will be offering those. Though I need to figure out forum rules for selling first.

As for the rest of the figure (= the suit) my goal is to reiterate until I reach the desired quality. In other words: so that I won't regret investing in making one myself instead of patiently waiting for CultKing's release :)

Defintly if you have the skill to tailor use it cultking version will be a while off yet..... Suit looks pretty good so far.:clap

As for offering the sculpt just create a list in the intrest section with prices etc pretty simple that's how most sculpts are sold on the fourm. Hope that helps I know there will be plenty who'd like a new sculpt for the asmus one that's for sure. :)

Thanks Godfather1408!

If I'm happy enough with the headsculpt to invest in making a small run of casts then sure, I will be offering those. Though I need to figure out forum rules for selling first.

As for the rest of the figure (= the suit) my goal is to reiterate until I reach the desired quality. In other words: so that I won't regret investing in making one myself instead of patiently waiting for CultKing's release :)

Here we go with the headsculpt. It's about 30% done. More updates after the weekend :) I'm hoping to do some test prints next week.

Enjoy!

That's a really nice looking sculpt. Can't wait to see this finished.

In order to create an accurate look for clothes in 1:6 scale you need to make sure the fabric is thin - basically a sixth thickness of the full scale stuff - it won't do using the full scale stuff as that will just make it look too bulky and give away it being a doll instead of a scaled representation. Also try to make the stitches as small as possible and with very thin thread, as that will also help sell the illusion.

Thanks!

This week I intend to have the final sculpt and then start working on the prints and casts. So 2-3 weeks horizon is the ETA.

Here we go with the zoot suit mark II. I'm much happier with it, still far from perfect though.

Still experimenting with the sizes of all elements, like the jacket length, the collar, sleeves, etc.

Still WIP. There was a hold-up because of the winter holidays - nobody felt like working, even on the custom stuff :)
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 1.jpg

Also, there was some trouble on the way - my sculptor needed to drop this project and I needed to find a new one. Last update I got from the previous sculptor was kind of off, so now we're trying to catch the likeness again.

As for the zoot suit, it's nearly done. I have the tie, suspenders and lining patterns ready to print. I have plenty of work at the office nowadays so I'm not sure when will I be able to take care of this, but hopefully this week.

Back