The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta be honest... I would rather have movies / TV shows that don't focus on selling toys then films or shows that are made with the idea of selling toys on the mind.

Sorry but that is all Lucas was doing with ROTJ and the PT was making movies to sell toys.. Number one concern.

Gary Kutz on the SW films after Empire.

"I could see where things were headed. The toy business began to drive the [Lucasfilm] empire. It's a shame. They make three times as much on toys as they do on films. It's natural to make decisions that protect the toy business but that's not the best thing for making quality films.... The emphasis on the toys, it's like the cart driving the horse. If it wasn't for that the films would be done for their own merits. The creative team wouldn't be looking over their shoulder all the time."

The ST seemed to have one movie really intent on selling toys and that was TLJ and their Porgs.. We know how that turned out. Worst movie of the ST. I really don't see the other two films being about selling toys.. As I said way back... They didn't change everyone's outfits five times a movie.. There were not 15 different ships or new alien characters every film. And what there was.. Disney did not try and make a character for each and everyone.. I mean look at TFA.. Film was huge. People loved it (for some reason) toys were still not a big deal.

I agree with another poster here.. PT toy sales were pushed by the idiot flippers out there that bought six of everything to sell for 3x the price. Even ROTS toys died down by then and not as many characters were released because Flippers wised up to the fact that everyone was buying these things and keeping them in mint packaging :lol

Its also hard to listen to the rants of Retcon when I am pretty sure that some here just want to stick it to jye and Khev. :lol

Who have both said that they would do just fine if the ST got retconed.

I know I would be fine. I just think there are enough interesting ideas to show what happened before the ST. Some of that stuff hinted at in the Mando series.

Kind of like how TCW massively improved the PT.. I think it can also be done to help the ST.

Again I get peoples hate for the ST.. I really do.. But get over yourselves and like I said in another thread.. Imagine what it was like for the OG SW fans and how we felt after the PT... There was no Disney plus, no foreseeable movies or TV shows, no nothing.. It was over and we were left with these weirdly acted / directed films. It was all over as far as live action SW goes. Now you get all this great SW stuff.. You even get to think the ST might get retconed.. You get Hope. We had nothing accept a crappy prequel to our fav trilogy.

For me that was a big reason for my frustration of the PT. It was over. Then the ST came along and my frustration grew. But at least there were Story of Films to fall back on... Then came TLJ ruining even those chances... At least I knew Disney was still going to do something with this franchise but I was not a happy fan. I happened to like TROS and that helped me accept pretty much all of the PT and ST. I again had hope.

With all these shows and the new movie.. I am game for all of it. Some of it will suck some of it wont. If they retcon fine.. But if they retcon to sell toys.. Well for **** sakes... I dont need more ewokes, Jar Jar's or Porgs.. I just don't. Grogu was handled well but I think he was created for the story and he just happened to be embraced by SW fan and non SW fan alike. Especially with the ladies.. THere are woman I work with who have never watched a SW film and have Baby Yoda items on their desks. Hes a cute little guy.. But if he was there just to sell toys like a porg or Ewoks.. Well I would hate that little ****er also :lol

If the industry rebounds post-COVID then yes they probably could make serious bank with new movies centered upon those characters, although IMO Luke would either need to be recast or be peripheral to the main action (i.e., the CGI is still too dodgy to make him a main character). But I also think most of the best stories of that era could already be slated for The Mandalorian, Ahsoka and The Rangers Of The New Republic. Unless they were to suddenly change the plans they laid out just last week, it's unlikely such a movie trilogy would ever take place. Regardless, there's still plenty of time to tell these new stories before they would infringe on ST First Order territory, so no retconning is required.

BTW, what ST retconning by Disney are you referring to?

I am game for an Animated series about Luke and Grogu..

But I agree with everything else.

Its not like Disney / Lucasfilm didnt know an appearance by Luke would not be Huge.

It worked for Vader for those that had the sting of what he was in the PT. It made him cool again.

This did the same for those that had the sting of the ST Luke in their mind. It made him cool again.

Gotta love when Luke pulls that DT to him so he can cut him down. Very Vader.

I also loved that Mando vs Gideon stayed in the old-style saber duel and was still exciting. No wild flips, force pushes, impossible balancing, flying or anything else. Just simple combat with a few cool simple moves and done.

Even though Mando had so many PT characters in them it was more OT / ST style of shooting then PT style.

As much as the younger generation might have grown up and love the PT I think its smart to stay away from that look. Leave that for the animated shows since that is what the PT basically was anyways..

I dont say that with Malice.. I think its why the animated shows translate well.. The planets and ships and some of the characters looked animated already in the movies.

Gideon is still just a ragtag remnant trying to find a single dose of midichlorian blood for a small handful of clone engineers to play with. I don't think that in and of itself demands Luke's full attention unless there's some indication that a wider operation is going on. All the top individuals of such proceedings have been fulling apprehended and their main research facility and star cruiser have been destroyed or captured. Do I assume that Luke would be very interested in becoming privy to everything that the New Republic will learn from all of that? Sure. Do we know for a fact that Gideon's doings will be traced to the formation of the FO? Not at all. Which is why I'd be fine with him staying out of any future TV shows from here on out.

I just worry about them overdoing it with Luke. They nailed it this time.. I dont want that ruined.

I just worry about them overdoing it with Luke. They nailed it this time.. I dont want that ruined.

I want them to leave it alone now too. His appearance was near perfection, I just want this to be how he is remembered post ROTJ. I don't think there is anywhere to go but down from here.

giphy.gif
tenor.gif
giphy.gif

Cool. Actual footage of Wor-Gar viewing the last episode.

I agree. Lets not Deepfake Luke to death... its a gag that does not have long screen life.

They want to cast Stan as middle age Luke, then fine. I'll go with it. But I would be more than happy to have this moment be the last time I ever see Luke Skywalker again.

Cool. Actual footage of Wor-Gar viewing the last episode.

I think my head did do that. I know I grinned like that when the X-wing swooped into the hanger bay.

I agree. Lets not Deepfake Luke to death... its a gag that does not have long screen life.

They want to cast Stan as middle age Luke, then fine. I'll go with it. But I would be more than happy to have this moment be the last time I ever see Luke Skywalker again.

Agreed. But as the technology improves if they want to improve the CGI rendering for future viewings, I'm good with that.

If the industry rebounds post-COVID then yes they probably could make serious bank with new movies centered upon those characters, although IMO Luke would either need to be recast or be peripheral to the main action (i.e., the CGI is still too dodgy to make him a main character). But I also think most of the best stories of that era could already be slated for The Mandalorian, Ahsoka and The Rangers Of The New Republic. Unless they were to suddenly change the plans they laid out just last week, it's unlikely such a movie trilogy would ever take place. Regardless, there's still plenty of time to tell these new stories before they would infringe on ST First Order territory, so no retconning is required.

BTW, what ST retconning by Disney are you referring to?

Why would they announce plans last week that would spoil the finale of Mando?

As far as ST retconning by Disney, lets start with TROS, then the various novels and comics.

Gotta be honest... I would rather have movies / TV shows that don't focus on selling toys then films or shows that are made with the idea of selling toys on the mind.

Sorry but that is all Lucas was doing with ROTJ and the PT was making movies to sell toys.. Number one concern.

Gary Kutz on the SW films after Empire.

"I could see where things were headed. The toy business began to drive the [Lucasfilm] empire. It's a shame. They make three times as much on toys as they do on films. It's natural to make decisions that protect the toy business but that's not the best thing for making quality films.... The emphasis on the toys, it's like the cart driving the horse. If it wasn't for that the films would be done for their own merits. The creative team wouldn't be looking over their shoulder all the time."

It?s ironic you give that quote about toys and think the ST won?t be retconned. Disney loves merchandise. They can make more selling Baby Yoda toilet paper than selling Rey action figures.

The ST seemed to have one movie really intent on selling toys and that was TLJ and their Porgs.. We know how that turned out. Worst movie of the ST. I really don't see the other two films being about selling toys.. As I said way back... They didn't change everyone's outfits five times a movie.. There were not 15 different ships or new alien characters every film. And what there was.. Disney did not try and make a character for each and everyone.. I mean look at TFA.. Film was huge. People loved it (for some reason) toys were still not a big deal.

:lol

You are defending the laziness of the designs of the ST as some sort of positive? hahahaha. Wow. This is a new low.

It was the OT that had the outfit changes, not the PT. So, I really have no idea why you are trying to bash outfit changes as some sort of negative. It makes a movie fresh, makes it as if these characters are really living their lives and we are progressing with them. Never had that with the ST.

And you are complaining about new ships? Really? Imagine that a galaxy with trillions of beings would have millions of different ships.

It gives each trilogy its own distinct feel. Its own distinct era and time. ST never had that, it is why it was such a failure.

I agree with another poster here.. PT toy sales were pushed by the idiot flippers out there that bought six of everything to sell for 3x the price. Even ROTS toys died down by then and not as many characters were released because Flippers wised up to the fact that everyone was buying these things and keeping them in mint packaging :lol

ROTS had 100x the merchandise than TROS did because the PT was actually liked well enough to buy merchandise.

Its also hard to listen to the rants of Retcon when I am pretty sure that some here just want to stick it to jye and Khev. :lol

Its hard to listen to the rants against the PT and the sly/mocking comments when people want to stick it to Darth Ducky the Wise. Great name for me, my theories coke true and destroy arguments like a real Sith Lord destroy rebel scum:lecture

Who have both said that they would do just fine if the ST got retconed.

Imma need a source. I think they might cry if that happened, especially after their reactions to Boba Fett.

I know I would be fine. I just think there are enough interesting ideas to show what happened before the ST. Some of that stuff hinted at in the Mando series.

All those ideas lead to a dark dark path. Disney knows it. I know it. You know it. All roads lead to the ST and that is a bad bad thing. It is why it will be retconned.

Kind of like how TCW massively improved the PT.. I think it can also be done to help the ST.

Dude. Come on. The moment they bring in ST elements, this show dies. Disney knows this. It?s why they set it so far back and its why they have ZERO new stories post ST right now.

Again I get peoples hate for the ST.. I really do.. But get over yourselves and like I said in another thread.. Imagine what it was like for the OG SW fans and how we felt after the PT... There was no Disney plus, no foreseeable movies or TV shows, no nothing.. It was over and we were left with these weirdly acted / directed films. It was all over as far as live action SW goes. Now you get all this great SW stuff.. You even get to think the ST might get retconed.. You get Hope. We had nothing accept a crappy prequel to our fav trilogy.

I think you PT haters/ST lovers need to get over yourselves. Going on 20 years and it is still the same story of whining about it. Meanwhile, y?all are up in arms any time a ST hater talks about a two year old movie that has direct implications on the future of the franchise.

Talking about hating the ST now is not the same as still talking about hate for PT now.

One is justified with concern for the future the other is an inability to get over it.

For me that was a big reason for my frustration of the PT. It was over. Then the ST came along and my frustration grew. But at least there were Story of Films to fall back on... Then came TLJ ruining even those chances... At least I knew Disney was still going to do something with this franchise but I was not a happy fan. I happened to like TROS and that helped me accept pretty much all of the PT and ST. I again had hope.

With all these shows and the new movie.. I am game for all of it. Some of it will suck some of it wont. If they retcon fine.. But if they retcon to sell toys.. Well for **** sakes... I dont need more ewokes, Jar Jar's or Porgs.. I just don't. Grogu was handled well but I think he was created for the story and he just happened to be embraced by SW fan and non SW fan alike. Especially with the ladies.. THere are woman I work with who have never watched a SW film and have Baby Yoda items on their desks. Hes a cute little guy.. But if he was there just to sell toys like a porg or Ewoks.. Well I would hate that little ****er also :lol

Thanks for yet another example for why the ST will be retconned. The casual fan. Those woman you work with would buy a ticket to see Baby Yoda. They didn?t do it for Rey, literally Disney?s target audience with her, and they failed. They didn?t do it for Rey. They don?t like Rey. They don?t like what was once supposed to be the future of the franchise.

Stories like that are why Disney will proceed with the retcon. The casual fan base is growing exponentially. You announce a new film at the end end of 2021/2022 after all the COVID stuff, with Luke and Baby Yoda, I?m talking 2 billion in ticket sales. Disney knows it. Their market research team knows it.

I am game for an Animated series about Luke and Grogu..

This dude is talking about an animated series for arguably one of the most important and well liked scenes in Star Wars history? A scene that everybody is positively talking about. And you think it is gonna be animated... just to protect the ST... Disney gonna leave BILLIONS on the table to protect the ST :lol:lol:lol

Maaaan, come on.

The ST seemed to have one movie really intent on selling toys and that was TLJ and their Porgs..

Actually that wasn't their intent with the porgs. The islands they filmed on were swarming with puffins that were flying around in the background of every shot and they were faced with either digitally removing every single one or pretending they were SW creatures that were meant to be there. They elected to create the porgs so that when audiences saw the real birds flying around they would just assume that that's what they were.

Gotta be honest... I would rather have movies / TV shows that don't focus on selling toys then films or shows that are made with the idea of selling toys

So that rules out about 60% of the movies made today.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Actually that wasn't their intent with the porgs. The islands they filmed on were swarming with puffins that were flying around in the background of every shot and they were faced with either digitally removing every single one or pretending they were SW creatures that were meant to be there. They elected to create the porgs so that when audiences saw the real birds flying around they would just assume that that's what they were.

I just looked it up and you weren’t kidding. Interesting. Never knew that. Thanks.

Just tweak the CGI of his face. Change nothing else. Add nothing else. No scenes akin to Han?s stepping on Jabba?s tail, thank you very much. :lol

Like that Deepfake upgrade of Carrie Fisher at the end of RO. They should replace that.

But I'm fine with old effects. It marks time. There will come a time where old CGI is charming. Nostalgic.

There's no fixing a lame scene -- like Han meets Jabba. It simply deserves the ax. That information was better spent with Greedo... despite the later fix there too. See what I mean about tinkering...

OK, one thing has been bothering me since the show aired, and buckle up, cause this is DEEP nerd.

We have never, ever, ever seen anyone pilot an X-Wing without wearing the orange jumpsuit and helmet. Every time we ever saw Luke flying his, even in ROTJ, between Tattooine and Dagobah, he suited up in the flight suit.

So why did he arrive on Gideon's ship just wearing his black Jedi robes?

Back