The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "lousiest" ep of Mando (and I certainly didn't think this was lousy) is still leagues better than the best eps of just about any other show airing today.

I absolutely love this series. It's like I'm 6 years old in my jammies on the edge of my seat. Well.....now I'm 42 years old but I still watch it in my jammies.

The quibbles people have are SOOO minute compared to the far more egregious breaches of SW logic in the Disney Trilogy.

My stupid Grinch heart grows three sizes every episode I watch, and it's not just the adorable green mogwai....it's the whole damn show.

Should probably get that heart condition checked on though....

What started out as that kid being a dumb inexperienced Solo wannabe punk turned out that he actually had the smarts to be ruthless and flat out murdered his captive in cuffs and I was impressed they let him do that to a female character.

Grant it he was still wet behind the ears and took things way beyond his skill set and paid dearly for that.

Are you guys sitting you know how I keep bringing up the PT upgrade in this new era well we just witnessed those freaking cute pit droids from TPM being ordered by a hag to drag a dead body to a ditch somewhere in the desert.

Damn.

Those droids cut up and bury bodies!

The "lousiest" ep of Mando (and I certainly didn't think this was lousy) is still leagues better than the best eps of just about any other show airing today.

I absolutely love this series. It's like I'm 6 years old in my jammies on the edge of my seat. Well.....now I'm 42 years old but I still watch it in my jammies.

The quibbles people have are SOOO minute compared to the far more egregious breaches of SW logic in the Disney Trilogy.

My stupid Grinch heart grows three sizes every episode I watch, and it's not just the adorable green mogwai....it's the whole damn show.

Should probably get that heart condition checked on though....

No doubt the Disney decisions have been questionable, but does that mean we live in a world where we?re happy to consume mediocrity because we?re smothered in garbage?

Isn?t okay, just okay? Wouldn?t you prefer every episode to be great?

Btw that doesn?t have to be Fett just because of the boots sound because Mando?s boots make that similar sound maybe just a tad bit quieter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gizmo is wondering WTF.......

Gizmowondering.jpg

No doubt the Disney decisions have been questionable, but does that mean we live in a world where we?re happy to consume mediocrity because we?re smothered in garbage?

Wait for the episode where they find Boba on an island milking some alien's teets. It is like they have to destroy the OT characters and create their own "unique" characters that are essentially agenda based or rehashed from "Legends" comics/OT/books/videogames.

NO TV series is "great" every episode. By the very nature of production, you're always gonna have some that are just OK, some that suck even, at least one or two bottle episodes a season....even the dreaded clip show.

I thought this episode was very good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I still think the Pilot was the best though. I don't think this was "just OK"....it was good!

So are there ANY series where every single episode was agreed to be "good or great?" And don't say Breaking Bad....cause that had some snoozers in it, man.

If that was Fett

This was Khev

tenor.gif

Living in the wastes of Tatooine no less!! :panic: :thud:

And at first I was like why stop to ask the Sandpeople for passage just fly right by them and then I remembered that TPM established that they can pick off targets way faster than speeder bikes.

Holy crap that shot of Mando on the dewback that matched the 1976 Stormie on dewback promo pic. :thud:

I am just gonna say what most people is really thinking but just doesn?t really want to admit it.

Five episodes in, this show is mediocre at best, the last two being the weakest.

With such an alleged high budget even an early 2000 show like Firefly feels more expensive and alive than The Mandalorian.

If we take a comparison with a more recent show, The Expanse feels way more expensive too and larger in scope too.

Only reason people are even giving it a pass is because it has SW slapped on it. Also the disappointment with the ST has made people run to this show as some kind of comfort even if it is not really a show that is living up to its legacy.

The almost 30 minutes format is really hurting the show, everything moves so fast that things are over just as soon as it started and most side characters introduced are beginning to feel more and more like throwaway characters without any meaning to the overall seasonal arc.

People can argue about the serial or monster of the week format but that is a dated concept meant to pad out 20+ episodes per season.

The more successful format today that Netflix, HBO, Showtime, USA, and many other shows adopted is the roughly ten episode arc seasonal story telling.

You get shorter seasons but benefit from
much tighter storytelling and development that actually pay off without any (or minimal) filler episodes. Mr. Robot is probably the best example of a show on TV that uses that to its advantage. Probably the most beautifully shot show on TV too currently.

The CGI is expensive excuse is weak source. It is not just that the CGI are mostly low quality, it is also that most of the directors don?t seem to know how to use it properly.

Someone mentioned the lensing is really poor and I have to agree, with the exception of episode 2 and 3, the rest really look like some expensive fan film or low budget tv show.

Knowing how to move the camera, misc-en-scene, exiting pace, all these have nothing to do with budget. It has everything to do with who is steering the boat that week.

Heck, even a cheesy show like Ash vs Evil Dead is able to maximized it?s measly budget to make the show looks way more expensive that the movie ever did.

NO TV series is "great" every episode. By the very nature of production, you're always gonna have some that are just OK, some that suck even, at least one or two bottle episodes a season....even the dreaded clip show.

I thought this episode was very good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I still think the Pilot was the best though. I don't think this was "just OK"....it was good!

So are there ANY series where every single episode was agreed to be "good or great?" And don't say Breaking Bad....cause that had some snoozers in it, man.

Firefly was near enough to great every episode...

House of Cards...

Mindhunter...

Jack Ryan...

Game of Thrones...

Ray Donovan...

Vikings...

Chernobyl...

I'm talking about first season of all of these (Firefly only got one season) and by (roughly) the same episode count.

There's plenty more I could mention, but I think you get my point. House of Cards (in the beginning) said they wrote each season as if they were never going to get another, so they threw everything at it - and that first season was nuts.

Here's another problem; IGN review. 18 million independent viewers per month, "mainstream" site, and who has liked every episode before this one - even last week. If this is the general consensus in mainstream ratings, that's not good for the show. And especially not good only 5 eps in.

Firefly was near enough to great every episode...

House of Cards...

Mindhunter...

Jack Ryan...

Game of Thrones...

Ray Donovan...

Vikings...

Chernobyl...

I'm talking about first season of all of these (Firefly only got one season) and by (roughly) the same episode count.

There's plenty more I could mention, but I think you get my point. House of Cards (in the beginning) said they wrote each season as if they were never going to get another, so they threw everything at it - and that first season was nuts.

Here's another problem; IGN review. 18 million independent viewers per month, "mainstream" site, and who has liked every episode before this one - even last week. If this is the general consensus in mainstream ratings, that's not good for the show. And especially not good only 5 eps in.

I would like to add Mr Robot to the list. Probably the best show on TV now. Even supposedly filler episodes turned out to be of significance to the storyline later down the line.

I am just gonna say what most people is really thinking but just doesn?t really want to admit it.

Five episodes in, this show is mediocre at best, the last two being the weakest.

With such an alleged high budget even an early 2000 show like Firefly feels more expensive and alive than The Mandalorian.

If we take a comparison with a more recent show, The Expanse feels way more expensive too and larger in scope too.

Only reason people are even giving it a pass is because it has SW slapped on it. Also the disappointment with the ST has made people run to this show as some kind of comfort even if it is not really a show that is living up to its legacy.

The almost 30 minutes format is really hurting the show, everything moves so fast that things are over just as soon as it started and most side characters introduced are beginning to feel more and more like throwaway characters without any meaning to the overall seasonal arc.

People can argue about the serial or monster of the week format but that is a dated concept meant to pad out 20+ episodes per season.

The more successful format today that Netflix, HBO, Showtime, USA, and many other shows adopted is the roughly ten episode arc seasonal story telling.

much tighter storytelling and development that actually pay off without any (or minimal) filler episodes. Mr. Robot is probably the best example of a show on TV that uses that to its advantage. Probably the most beautifully shot show on TV too currently.

The CGI is expensive excuse is weak source. It is not just that the CGI are mostly low quality, it is also that most of the directors don?t seem to know how to use it properly.

Someone mentioned the lensing is really poor and I have to agree, with the exception of episode 2 and 3, the rest really look like some expensive fan film or low budget tv show.

Knowing how to move the camera, misc-en-scene, exiting pace, all these have nothing to do with budget. It has everything to do with who is steering the boat that week.

Heck, even a cheesy show like Ash vs Evil Dead is able to maximized it?s measly budget to make the show looks way more expensive that the movie ever did.

Its just entirely your subjective opinion man.

Since I would have said I was a mild Star Wars fan up to the Mandelorian, I KNOW I wasn't running to the show for comfort. It was a hook to get into Disney+ while I waited around for my primary interest at the time - the upcoming MCU series. Even better I can access through Amazon Prime.

Didn't think I'd LUV it but I do. IMO that image of baby reaching a tiny hand up to the Mandelorian is as iconic to me as any SW image willl ever be. Luv the whole setting and the theme of life after the Empire in the Outer Rim.

Rewatched and IMO the script is pretty good and Pascal is great. The droids are excellent and there's some nice moments like the mechanic looking regretful baby is leaving. The end twists.

Also think there's some great visuals. Sure, I'd tweak a few things. But am I gonna watch something technically perfect or something that seizes my imagination? The worst I can say is at this point these episodes DO need to be longer. Am totally hooked tho. Will be broke too from getting all those Mandalorian Hot Toys.

What started out as that kid being a dumb inexperienced Solo wannabe punk turned out that he actually had the smarts to be ruthless and flat out murdered his captive in cuffs and I was impressed they let him do that to a female character.

Grant it he was still wet behind the ears and took things way beyond his skill set and paid dearly for that.

Are you guys sitting you know how I keep bringing up the PT upgrade in this new era well we just witnessed those freaking cute pit droids from TPM being ordered by a hag to drag a dead body to a ditch somewhere in the desert.

Damn.

Those droids cut up and bury bodies!

Also little stuff like the droid squeaking and flattening when Mando walks down the ramp, or the kid's expression at the first look at the "baby" in this woman's arms LOL. I luv this show. Can't say I'm not looking forward to the preview they're gonna show at TROS.

I like the show, but man - the supporting character acting and cinematography in these last two episodes has been pretty shabby.

I think we'll get another along the lines of the last two episodes then the final two will be back up to the standard they started with. It's a shame they didn't keep the standard up.

I would like to add Mr Robot to the list. Probably the best show on TV now. Even supposedly filler episodes turned out to be of significance to the storyline later down the line.

I agree. Every season is constructed so well. I constantly rewatch it and pick up new things each time.

I agree. Its fun to watch, but its really becoming a ?memba this?? kinda show.

I would love more than 5 minutes of a story per show. If its all gonna be adventure of the week, with very little arcing story, its gonna get old.

Its kinda hard to work that kinda format. X files did it wonderfully, and did Star Trek TNG. My guess they will take the road of saving all the story for 3 episodes, to keep folks hooked through a few seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back