The Leftovers (New HBO Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She def traveled to a "mirror universe" and not the place The Departed went to. I was worried when she was telling Kevin the story that she was going to say she indeed crossed over to said destination for The Departed. I was happy it wasn't - because it let the mystery be.

Yeah, the more I think about it, it had to be that, because, otherwise, it would require them to not only disappear, but, somehow, for the entire planet to be duplicated.:lol

The brilliant thing about the finale is that there is evidence for multiple interpretations of the ending - none of which diminish the emotional impact of Nora's catharsis or Kevin's acceptance. She could very well have gone nowhere at all.

The brilliant thing about the finale is that there is evidence for multiple interpretations of the ending - none of which diminish the emotional impact of Nora's catharsis or Kevin's acceptance. She could very well have gone nowhere at all.

Dude, that's a concept for sure!

Dude, that's a concept for sure!

Not my theory - there's so much good discussion going on around the finale. I honestly took Nora's speech at face value on first viewing. I don't remember who I first heard ask "is she telling the truth" but it hadn't even occurred to me. I've watched it twice now and read a lot of commentary after I had let my own opinion formulate and it's amazing how they peppered the episode and the whole season with ideas and incidents that can point to several interpretations. It's really a brilliant cap to such an amazing show.

I think she's telling the truth yet the episode questions the concept of "truth" from start to finish. The reason I think she's telling the truth is that its the same situation from Season 2 reversed: Kevin says to her he's been talking to Patti Levin and Nora rejects his claims and leaves. She doesn't accept his truth. In the finale its Nora who needs Kevin to accept her truth - and he does.

I think she's telling the truth yet the episode questions the concept of "truth" from start to finish. The reason I think she's telling the truth is that its the same situation from Season 2 reversed: Kevin says to her he's been talking to Patti Levin and Nora rejects his claims and leaves. She doesn't accept his truth. In the finale its Nora who needs Kevin to accept her truth - and he does.

And what's great is you can still debate Kevin's visions/delusions(?) - but the point is that Nora crusades to destroy false narratives, even if they give comfort. So it's possible to accept her monologue as truth and also to see it through the prism of accepting "belief." Maybe Nora really traveled somewhere - maybe she had a near death experience and thinks she went somewhere - maybe she is lying (which she does, despite her protestations) - maybe she, as people do, has told herself the lie for so long she believes it.

It only matters in as much as you (each viewer) need to know, want to interpret, or feel happier with a particular narrative.

I think a big part of believing her comes down to Carrie Coon's absolute ****ing home-run performance. I heard that on set, after that take, Lindelof turned to the rest of the video village and said, "Well, I believe her."

He has given some great interviews in print and on podcasts shedding light on the process of this season while never confirming any theory over the other. Interestingly, he said that while the writer's room was unanimous about the ending, he also said that if you polled them all individually you would likely get different answers as to whether or not Nora is telling the truth. His only answer was "I want to believe her." Which I agree with.

Back