Premium Format The Joker ‘The Dark Knight’ - 1/4 Premium Format Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Dark Knight Joker

Wolverine comes with 3 head sculpts, one of them is done by Sosa lol..so cmon with that..cap looks great and I am not a fan of cap, and black widow is comic…and instead of picking apart the PCS batman, look at their history of solid releases with no issues (to the piece itself)…that piece IS cheap (only $250)..and the sculpt is fine and the base actually looks really good…its not a 1/4 scale piece..its simple.

And you're gonna tell me you're batman pf doesn't have saggy as armpits? it doesn't have a dark as hell face? Just bcz you're okay with it, and again if you are thats totally fine and honestly more power to you…but, and this isn't my opinion…compared to the original prototype, the armpits ARE saggy, the face IS darker, and coincidentally some of them wobble…if you need proof about this you can look no further than them changing the proto picture to the production piece so that they didn't have to keep issuing credits, and then the fact that they did give credits for saggy armpits which prove its a ****-up…thats really a dead issue.

I won't disagree that they've done some amazing PROTO pieces… gladiator hulk looks great, apocalypse, lobo, etc…but guess what..i got my apoc and it was qc hell…thats where my gripe is..XM and PCS give me what I ordered…XM's magneto came FLAWLESS to me with no paint problems or runny brushstrokes etc (like apocalypse and many other statues did)…the paint came and looked like the proto..not lighter and less shaded, etc… again you and some others might be happy with what u get..these are expensive and like you when i get something like that I want it to be great..but I am not gonna shy away from calling out crap when I see it..its not some myth or some urban legend that they have QC issues…hell SSalex and igor on statue forum admitted it and said they wanna get better, so its not all in my head…

You can harp on the batman PF all you A2, but one look at my shelf tells me they may know what they're doing when it comes to making statues.
DC PFS SM.jpg

I don't think SSC does a good job on "real life" likeness faces. MOS and Reeve are just awful. Keaton looks great, but then again it's only half of his face. The comic versions, well, they really don't resemble anyone alive.

And add the fact that Ledger fans go to extremes to make the HT doll look good (it looks great out of box imo) ($2K Kato suits, 3K sculpts, 1K socks, Barbie hair, etc etc etc) it's insane.

SSC, for their own benefit, should skip Ledger and go straight to Bale Bats. If Keaton is any indication, they'll nail that one too.

Good point. Ht is so real. I don think any statue can top them for now in term of realism. Thor, cap a, black widow etc... SS can't pull it off imo

yea but id rather have a company that cares all the times and takes their QC seriously all the time, not one that does a coin toss to decide..just let another company give us 1/4 scale nolan statues already…they shouldn't be allowed to hold the license and just do nothing with it..

True.... But XM puts out far fewer and a much bigger price... My point I will get to in a moment....

I find it a tad bit odd that people would be so down on Sideshow Doing a DK Joker considering how well all the other DC Comic pieces have come out and how loved the Keaton Batman seems to be. I mean sure people don't really like the MOS Superman or the Reeve Superman's preview but that's two pieces out of what 14 PF's they've shown in the line?

Jeez guys, give them some credit.

Their Keats Batman has me excited for a Ledger or Nicholson Joker.. Or Both!!! IMO SSC has done an overall outstanding job with their DC license.

Josh the bats pf was a qc nightmare, the ivy's (like almost all their statues) needed a repaint once you got it, I think the one that was best received was the comic supes and now keaton..but honestly i know if it was pcs or xm for example, that it would come on point. I dont mine paying extra to know that my statue isn't gonna come with issues, the paint will be good, and customer service won't offer me 10% off or eat it…I want a company that cares tbh..

Now here is my point... True XM seems to be all over their QC... They are putting out some nice Comic statues and it looks like you get what you pay for (somewhat I am not a huge fan of their actual sculpts)...... But that's it... If I spend almost a grand on a piece and then pay extra for shipping (I know non US have to deal with this all the time) then I would expect perfection. NOW that is not to give SSC a free pass in the QC department... But if I am paying 400 to 500 less for a figure that has many more pieces being made then I am not expecting perfection... However I do expect SSC to make things right... For me they always have... The have sent me parts and whole new pieces, they have given me partial refunds and they have taken back an item (all on their expense) that I was not happy with. I think that is fair.. I hope their QC goes up but to act like they are 90% fail and 10% good is a bit much. I would say it's probably the opposite. 90% good 10% fail. However that is still too high and QC should move up.... I think after seeing Gladiator/King Hulk and Keaton Batman look like amazing Home runs then they are doing it right... However Red Hulk issues seem to be a problem... Catwoman for the most part is outstanding but their have been some eye issues... The Joker and Superman have been perfect.. WW looks to be mostly great.. and Batman..... Well Bats....

ok i meant since the film came out, thats one. second, bats qc was awful josh…maybe the people who got it a year later were okay (and they weren't), but the early people had crap. The face paint, the wobble on the statue, the armpits..it was so bad that SS changed the picture on the website so that people couldn't complain it didn't look like the proto..i can't think of many statues they've done that for..also saying the piece sold out doesn't indicate quality..it was the first licensed 1/4 scale statue (not counting dc direct) of arguably the most popular superhero in the world..its gonna sellout and theres people who waited over 2 years for the thing..if u get it u take ur 10% off and do what you can...

PCS batman likeness is just supposed to be a regular comic batman..and for christs sake its a wall-mount project, its not fair to compare it to a detailed 1/4 scale statue. In regards to XM, their craftsmanship is what I was referring to specifically; the paint, the weight to the pieces, everything..and their head sculpts look fine to me, I'm not sure which piece you're referring to specifically..

As one of, if not the originator of Pit Gate... I can say this... I had two bodies.. I did surgery on one and just pulled back on the shirt on the other and I can say that pulling back on the shirt was the better look IMO... Meaning Pit Gate was not the extreme that I thought it was.. I thought it looked more natural in person to have some stretch to the material. Now that does not mean SSC should not give what was advertised but it ended up looking more realistic without it. As for the face paint... For whatever reason they thought the darker look was better... They made some changes to later orders... Frustrating yes... But overall Batman was a pretty big win for most. And while he is a popular character I don't know if they would have been able to sell well if it was the fail that you are making it out to be. Could it be better? For me yes.... But that has more to do with the overall statue look itself and not the final product.

I don't think SSC does a good job on "real life" likeness faces. MOS and Reeve are just awful. Keaton looks great, but then again it's only half of his face. The comic versions, well, they really don't resemble anyone alive.

And add the fact that Ledger fans go to extremes to make the HT doll look good (it looks great out of box imo) ($2K Kato suits, 3K sculpts, 1K socks, Barbie hair, etc etc etc) it's insane.

My T1, Indiana Jones TOD, Conan the Barbarian, and soon to be here Keaton Batman disagree with you :)

I have my SSC Batman and he's friggin perfect. Sorry man, and yes, that's what counts to me. They've done some amazing PF's the last two years and will continue to do so, whether people want to believe it or not..

As for XM, Cap, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, and Wolverine all have terrible head sculpts. Sosa's 1/4 Wolverine he did as a commission shows what their Wolverine should have been.

I agree about XM Cap, SW, and Hulk not having great head sculpts... Cap is a nice overall statue but his head sculpt ends making it look like a 1/4 scale Bowen statue. I am not a huge fan of the Black Widow one either... I like the Masked head sculpt of Wolverine best (still don't love it) but not any of the others and overall I don't think the pose is very good...

Magneto is a grail......

Having said all that... XM has not put out a piece yet that I think is worth the price... Part of that is either because of character choice (Black Widow, Scarlett Witch, Magneto) and part of it is because artistic direction (Wolverine Cap, HULK).

And I tend to agree with Josh overall about the head sculpts... I don't really care for any of them... They all have a Bowen or Koto look to them... I like the more realistic approach SSC takes...

But I get the love for XM... If you see something you like you know you are going to get that.... But man those prices...

I won't disagree that they've done some amazing PROTO pieces… gladiator hulk looks great, apocalypse, lobo, etc…but guess what..i got my apoc and it was qc hell…thats where my gripe is..XM and PCS give me what I ordered…XM's magneto came FLAWLESS to me with no paint problems or runny brushstrokes etc (like apocalypse and many other statues did)…the paint came and looked like the proto..not lighter and less shaded, etc… again you and some others might be happy with what u get..these are expensive and like you when i get something like that I want it to be great..but I am not gonna shy away from calling out crap when I see it..its not some myth or some urban legend that they have QC issues…hell SSalex and igor on statue forum admitted it and said they wanna get better, so its not all in my head…

King and Gladiator Hulk ARE great and came out great... Sorry about Apocalypse. Can we just refer to PCS Batman wall mount as POS batman Wall mount :) Seriously.. Yuck.. I would rather pay 150.00 more for my Pit issue Batman any day :) But yes SSC seems to have some recent QC issues. I hope with the competition from XM and Gentle Giant that they step up their game.

You can harp on the batman PF all you A2, but one look at my shelf tells me they may know what they're doing when it comes to making statues.
View attachment 166601

Agreed.

Last edited:

True....

Agreed.

Just for the sake of the length i shortened your quote, hope you don't mind bud!…I just wanna start by clarifying something about XM..if you were a member you can get their statues (before shipping) for 800SGD…thats $640 converted…mags went for 850SGD which is $680 converted…now that aint much more than apocalypse/g hulk, less than the newest court of the dead thing revealed, etc.. Where you see a big price difference is the shipping..its about an extra 200SGD to 250SGD, which is $160 to $200 converted, making your total, with shipping, roughly $880 (for mags that is)…I tell you this not as a rumor but as an experience as I just received my first XM piece about a week ago. Now I'm not a "hater" as this jabroni ink said (sorry:))..I own SS, PCS, ARH, XM, custom pieces, etc. Ive been collecting 1/4 scale only pieces about 2 years now…I haven't been in it long enough to have alliances to certain companies where it would skew my opinion and my objectivity…i pay money based on a picture and expect it to look the same…our taste differences should not affect our ability to identify ****** or good QC…as josh said look at my shelf and tell me it doesn't look good; but it isn't about that..the way one should asses quality control is we take a picture of the proto..or the proto picture given at time of order and we line it up next to the piece we got..does it match? yes or no? thats how you do it… You think XM face sculpts look like crap?-awesome. You can live with saggy pits? Better for you. Art direction and what we can live with and what is tolerable isn't the question or even a concern…its the simple comparison…the SS joker matches the proto…spot on and thats a statue I can say had no QC issues…I can't say the same for my apocalypse and I can't say the same for my batman for the previously mentioned reasons. I don't like it when i wait a year plus for a statue and when it does arrive with qc issues I'm told 10% or full refund..I hate that..to me that company isn't as committed to me as I am to its product…I don't get that with PCS and XM. Once i decide I like the piece (be it by XM/SS/whoever) I buy it…now XM is making characters that SS hasn't made (phoenix and mags for starters) that I wanna see made..i don't mind paying for shipping or extra cost etc bcz I know, 100%, that it will come perfect, or at least as it looked when I agreed to buy it from them. Thats QC…not if you like it or hate them or won't support them bcz your a SS loyalist or you don't like companies that start with the letter X, its whether or not they give me what I ordered after waiting a year. If i go out to eat and I wait twenty minutes and its wrong, I'm sending it back and I want it fixed..make me wait a year, and christ it should be good. Not saying I don't understand breaks and crap like that that happens, but you get the idea. Its not, nor has it ever been (for me) about what company is affordable or makes the most statues or makes the best statues or blah blah when it comes to the QC issue.

XM faces and art direction is very manga influence IMO.

Just for the sake of the length i shortened your quote, hope you don't mind bud!…I just wanna start by clarifying something about XM..if you were a member you can get their statues (before shipping) for 800SGD…thats $640 converted…mags went for 850SGD which is $680 converted…now that aint much more than apocalypse/g hulk, less than the newest court of the dead thing revealed, etc.. Where you see a big price difference is the shipping..its about an extra 200SGD to 250SGD, which is $160 to $200 converted, making your total, with shipping, roughly $880 (for mags that is)…I tell you this not as a rumor but as an experience as I just received my first XM piece about a week ago. Now I'm not a "hater" as this jabroni ink said (sorry:))..I own SS, PCS, ARH, XM, custom pieces, etc. Ive been collecting 1/4 scale only pieces about 2 years now…I haven't been in it long enough to have alliances to certain companies where it would skew my opinion and my objectivity…i pay money based on a picture and expect it to look the same…our taste differences should not affect our ability to identify ****** or good QC…as josh said look at my shelf and tell me it doesn't look good; but it isn't about that..the way one should asses quality control is we take a picture of the proto..or the proto picture given at time of order and we line it up next to the piece we got..does it match? yes or no? thats how you do it… You think XM face sculpts look like crap?-awesome. You can live with saggy pits? Better for you. Art direction and what we can live with and what is tolerable isn't the question or even a concern…its the simple comparison…the SS joker matches the proto…spot on and thats a statue I can say had no QC issues…I can't say the same for my apocalypse and I can't say the same for my batman for the previously mentioned reasons. I don't like it when i wait a year plus for a statue and when it does arrive with qc issues I'm told 10% or full refund..I hate that..to me that company isn't as committed to me as I am to its product…I don't get that with PCS and XM. Once i decide I like the piece (be it by XM/SS/whoever) I buy it…now XM is making characters that SS hasn't made (phoenix and mags for starters) that I wanna see made..i don't mind paying for shipping or extra cost etc bcz I know, 100%, that it will come perfect, or at least as it looked when I agreed to buy it from them. Thats QC…not if you like it or hate them or won't support them bcz your a SS loyalist or you don't like companies that start with the letter X, its whether or not they give me what I ordered after waiting a year. If i go out to eat and I wait twenty minutes and its wrong, I'm sending it back and I want it fixed..make me wait a year, and christ it should be good. Not saying I don't understand breaks and crap like that that happens, but you get the idea. Its not, nor has it ever been (for me) about what company is affordable or makes the most statues or makes the best statues or blah blah when it comes to the QC issue.

I don't disagree about SSC stepping up their QC.... At the same time if my Keaton Batman PF jumps in price from 400.00 to 700.00 plus shipping so there is better QC then I am going to be a bit bummed.

I guess I have been lucky... I have not received these awful pieces that some have.. What problems I have had have been replaced, refunded, or taken back at their expense. I can't ask for much more... Sure I can ask for perfection. I think most of the time I receive 99% perfection. There is always some sort of flaw.. But SSC now puts out higher ES numbers and I can see why QC might be harder to keep track of. XM checking on 500 items is much easier then SSC checking on 9500 items. Now one could say that SSC prices should go down since they are selling more product and possibly cutting QC corners but cost wise I would rather have them keep this up rather then have them make only 500 of something and charge me 800.00 for the product and that is if I am lucky enough to get it with such low edition numbers.

Having said all of that... I do feel for those of you who get something like the Apocalypse figure with QC issues... That sucks plain and simple... And at that price point... I agree.. You should get what you were promised.. No excuses.

I hope XM pushes SSC to due better with QC...

Just for the sake of the length i shortened your quote, hope you don't mind bud!…I just wanna start by clarifying something about XM..if you were a member you can get their statues (before shipping) for 800SGD…thats $640 converted…mags went for 850SGD which is $680 converted…now that aint much more than apocalypse/g hulk, less than the newest court of the dead thing revealed, etc.. Where you see a big price difference is the shipping..its about an extra 200SGD to 250SGD, which is $160 to $200 converted, making your total, with shipping, roughly $880 (for mags that is).

How does one become a member? They don't sell to the US. Asking because I have seen previews of another Hulk the are working on and would not mind keeping an eye out for that if it turns out great.

Going by the number of production is definitely a factor in how the QC fits in. Let's say 10 of the XM Caps had issues out of 500. That's 2%. Now take a run of 9500 and let's say you keep the same QC level there with 2% being the defect rate. Now you've got 190 examples of a defective product. Some of these 190 customers now post their examples of QC on a forum or facebook and a negative nancy train begins with people jumping on board lambasting Sideshow's QC even though they kept the same standards as XM.

Production size is definitely relevant. But hey, misery loves company around this place, that's for sure so jumping on poor QC by SS is definitely easier than taking a step back and looking at the larger picture.

So this PF will be announced when the new Batman movie comes out? hahaha

SS has been pretty good with the DC, better than their Marvel I say. I just hope they make the bases shorter... Don't see the need to have such tall bases.

Back