The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm dying to see the Trailer

I was surprised we didn't get one at the end of the first film. I mean we had that first Hobbit Trailer a good year before the film came out. And if they were planning on this being just 2 films, they should have had SOMETHING from the second film to show after they broke it up into three.

Since its WB, Man of Steel would be the logical trailer attachment film for the first trailer.

Or maybe a Superbowl spot next week :monkey3

The first trailer came out 12/21/11 so basically a year before but I'd say attached to Supes might be a good guess. I'm already thinking about what they might show at the panel during comic-con.

I was looking on IMDB, and was quite surprised to see that "There and Back Again" is listed as a Summer release.

If this is true it will be a very busy summer with Star Wars, Avengers and Hobbit.

Edit~ I know, most of you were probably already aware of this.

Spoiler Spoiler:
I just think the second film has so much going for it ...It doesnt need Smaugs death...leave that for the finale.....We all know the second film will deal with Beorn,High Fells, Dol Guldur,crappy time in the forest, Spiders,Elven imprisonment,Barrel riding, Laketown, climbing Erebor,Thrushes,keys and keyholes as well as Burglaring Smaug and having a conversation with Smaug...plenty of action, drama,etc,etc. for a 2 1/2 to 3 hour flick not to mention EE DVDs..
Spoiler Spoiler:
The movie is titled The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug so I think it would be wise of PJ to include some desolating...

The movie is titled The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug so I think it would be wise of PJ to include some desolating...

Desolation of is however different than death of...If they do it your spoiler way there would be like 35 pages left in the book...no...I just cant see it

Last edited:
Are we discussing spoilers then? I've read this book at least ten times and I think most of us just assume everyone else has read it quite a few times too. :lol

That's how I feel. I've read it at least 10 times as well and honestly when I talk about things I just talk about them rather openly. Now, new movie things I'd tag but seriously this isn't new info. The book is 44 years older than I am.

Why does it matter how old the book is? Everyone watching the movies hasn't read it. I understand if we were talking about a movie that was old, but we're talking about the source material for a new movie. The Game of Thrones books have been out for a long time, but it's still spoilers to discuss them in context with the show.

Personally, I'd just stick the 'spoilers' in the thread title and talk all you want, but I just find it odd that the age of the book somehow effects whether the potential outcome in the new movie based on that book isn't a spoiler.

I think it has more to do with the age and popularity of the source material. In many ways it's surprising that there are people who have NOT read the book at some point... It's almost like using spoiler tags in a SW figure thread because there might be people who have never seen the films... It's assumed that everyone has.

Still, I have no problem using them if that's what people want.

That's exactly what I mean. At this point I just roll with that people most likely have read the book since its not new. It's just more natural to openly talk about stuff dealing with Middle-earth than not. Everyone will try to use tags for certain events that way people can use the thread and not worry.

Why does it matter how old the book is? Everyone watching the movies hasn't read it. I understand if we were talking about a movie that was old, but we're talking about the source material for a new movie. The Game of Thrones books have been out for a long time, but it's still spoilers to discuss them in context with the show.

Personally, I'd just stick the 'spoilers' in the thread title and talk all you want, but I just find it odd that the age of the book somehow effects whether the potential outcome in the new movie based on that book isn't a spoiler.

You wanna talk about the movie or see/hear folks talk about the movie but dont wanna listen in to spoiler material?....Then Why talk about the movie?...me personally I never believed in spoilers...If I did I wouldnt be on this SSF movie thread or any movie thread ever UNLESS I WAS LOOKING FOR INFO...

Sorry, don't mean to throw gas on the ol' campfire but I can't help but laugh that there's spoiler discussions about a story that's been around since 1937.:lol

I would agree about no spoilers if this was a movie that had no source material but come on.:slap

I mean if you haven't read it by now crap or get off the pot.:lol

Yeah if i don't wanna be spoiled about something i haven't seen yet.... i just stay away from discussion threads :lol

It's my own fault if i stumble on something i didn't want to read. It's called restraint.

Reading the thread it was posted in on TORn this place has been wrong in the past but it gives us an idea of when it might land. I'd say April/May with more footage during Comic-Con.

When Man of Steel comes out the latest...but I hope it's before that

Any pics of Beorn yet???

IMG_3960_zpsea26766e.jpg
IMG_3961_zpsd1dcfaba.jpg

From the press release for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-Ray:

In addition, Peter Jackson will host a live first look at “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” the second film in The Hobbit Trilogy, on Sunday, March 24th at 3:00PM Eastern/Noon Pacific. Content will be streamed live and an edited version will be archived on the Trilogy’s official website. Access to the live event will be limited to holders of an UltraViolet code available by purchasing “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD. Select digital retailers will issue access codes upon purchase of the film. Visit www.thehobbit.com/sneak for more information.

Back