The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched out the first two DVDs from my LOTR EE boxset and placed the blu ray copies. I have the EE boxset . Unfolding those book boxset is something I look forward too this time of year!

Watch my EE AUJ this past weekend. Followed by DOS TE (I do not own the EE yet). I love them both but I think I lean towards AUJ more. I wonder how after viewing DOS EE I will feel. I have not researched what the extra 25 min is or even seen a clip preview of BOTFA. I like to watch these movies for the first time.......the first time!

The extra 25 minutes of DoS were fantastic. :rock Only small thing was that no time was given to how or why Bombur woke up.

In regards to the Gandalf vs Sauron continuity questions, I have nothing to add to what has already been said. I concur that it's fine the way it was done in context with the movie.

I guess I'll have to watch again. How'd he get off the stretcher? :lol

Well they don't show that of course, only that we see him on a stretcher, Bilbo goes above the trees, then Bilbo comes back down to discover everyone cocooned. So we're just to assume that the spiders snatched everyone including Bombur off the stretcher. Then when most of the spiders leave there's just the one spider messing with Bombur's cocoon and you see him wake up and start freaking out.

Loved the added material, but my favorite was the addition of the Thrain scenes. I guess in the TE they just digitally removed him (or rather, never added him) in the Dol Guldur confrontation.

Well they don't show that of course, only that we see him on a stretcher, Bilbo goes above the trees, then Bilbo comes back down to discover everyone cocooned. So we're just to assume that the spiders snatched everyone including Bombur off the stretcher. Then when most of the spiders leave there's just the one spider messing with Bombur's cocoon and you see him wake up and start freaking out.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember that. That's was in the TE version as well. Either way, I have to watch again to be sure! :idea I was probably just looking for more since he's already awake by that point in the book so I was looking for something that wasn't there. Thanks for the clarification though, move along nothing more to see here. :lol

Now that you mention it, I think I remember that. That's was in the TE version as well. Either way, I have to watch again to be sure! :idea I was probably just looking for more since he's already awake by that point in the book so I was looking for something that wasn't there. Thanks for the clarification though, move along nothing more to see here. :lol

Yeah, both versions show Bombur waking up in the cocoon but in the TE you just assume he was unconscious for being stung or something whereas in the EE you discover that he was asleep because of the enchanted river.

Yeah, both versions show Bombur waking up in the cocoon but in the TE you just assume he was unconscious for being stung or something whereas in the EE you discover that he was asleep because of the enchanted river.

It's been a long time, but didn't Bombur die in the book?

Incorrect.

ROTK, AUJ, and DOS have superior EE's.

FOTR and TT have superior TE's.

:wave

Crazy Wrong!

TTT was empty before the EX cut... Who the hell was Faramir or his Father before the EX cut....

Fellowship is perfect either way.

ROTK had some great moments in the EX cut... Also had some bad ones.

At least now you know I was telling you the truth when we discussed this a while back. When talking about Middle-earth it is safe to trust in the info I'm giving. There was no reason for Gandalf to know that was the Ring. It had been with Gollum for 600 years and was assumed to have washed down the Anduin into the sea.

Never thought you were not telling the truth my friend... We were just very much in disagreement over the regular cut of DOS. The Theatrical cut of the was to me a poor film (By middle earth standards) and just did not flow right IMO. I know that 25 min should not make that much a difference but it did. And I still think Gandalf should suspect something. Nothing happens by chance in Middle earth. Hell Gandalf seemed to know that Gollum would still play some part in the adventure. Gandalf seems to know a lot about everything... Except the magic ring that was found around the same time as Sauron's return..

Plus he seemed to know a lot about Gollum and what the ring did to him... Why did it take Bilbo getting grumpy and calling it precious to trigger something in him?

Again I realize that the Hobbit was written first and thus the rings future was not known yet even by the author... Now that I know that I can accept it as a plot hole and not the fault of Peter Jackson's tinkering.

...Again I realize that the Hobbit was written first and thus the rings future was not known yet even by the author... Now that I know that I can accept it as a plot hole and not the fault of Peter Jackson's tinkering.

If you don't like it feel free to blame PJ if it makes you feel better. He changed a lot of things so he could have changed this as well. :wink1:

Wife and I just finished DOS EE, my 3rd viewing of this movie, her 2nd.

This movie definitely improved with the EE, things that bothered me the first time no longer did and the additions kick ass, movie makes more sense now to us non book readers.

We both really enjoyed revisiting this movie.

When all is said and done by the time Five Armies EE is released, we will have 6 middle earth EE movies to take us on an emotional and thrilling roller coaster journey.

Sure there will be the usual peaks and valleys of the parts we love, but what an incredible journey as a whole.

Not even Marvel's grand MCU world building plan will be enough to topple the Middle Earth 6 part journey PJ has given us.

I'm so happy that PJ, and not GDT, stayed at the helm.

Last edited:
Back