The Hobbit and LOTR Movie Tie-In books

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardyakka_mate

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've picked up today movie tie-in books from the upcoming The Hobbit movie, and re-release of the LOTR books with awesome artwork cover. I've always liked the covers of the "The Art of:" LOTR books, so when I saw these releases with the same cover, I had to get them. :yess:

7893391180_4b5593d099_b.jpg

Harper Collins also released this special The Hobbit book (ISBN-13: 978-0007488513). It is actually 2 separate books enclosed in a very nice hard slipcase. This will be a nice gift for children this coming holidays.

7893387388_e6e278b07c_b.jpg

The back of the slipcase:

7893383530_a79956aedf_b.jpg

The slipcase artwork bears a striking resemblance to the box of The Bridge Direct Comic Con Invisible Bilbo figure! :)

7893379660_7a3387cdd6_b.jpg

Pretty nice. Last time I read lotr books right after I saw fellowship of the ring. I was a little disappointed watching two towers a year later in theater and knowing the story. TTT was great, but not a big surprise like the first time seeing FOTR. I had no idea of what was LOTR before the first movie release.

I read The Hobbit 10 years ago and it's to far in my memory to remember enough, I won't do same mistake as last time and I'll be more patient to wait the release of the new trilogy.

I finished reading the LOTR books and The Hobbit about a month before FOTR came out in theatres. So FOTR was still fresh in my memory when I saw the movie. I only imagined the different scenes and images of the story whilst reading the books so I was really delighted to finally see them come alive on screen. I was looking for Tom Bombadil, and was surprised on how they changed Fatty Bolger's and Glorfindel's roles. But still the movies are arguably the best adaptation of the books, to date. And possibly will be the only movies ever to be made about the books.

I've finished "reading" again The Hobbit a few weeks ago, actually this time around I listened to it through Audible unabridged edition read by Rob Inglis. It's so much fun listening/reading the whole story again, and can't wait to see it this December! :yess:

Those look great! I have the hc versions of the art ofthe lotr books. That hobbit set look amazing and I have to get it. Can you share some more of the inside?

Is it just the story split into two parts? I will still get it but I think I thought it was something else. lol

There are several books coming out for the hobbit. I'll list the ones I have on order when I get home tonight.

The Hobbit split in two? :lol Who would have guessed!

Pointless, as it's a short book and doesn't have the stuff the movies are expanding on.

Maybe now they'll split it into 3 books! :rotfl

Those look great! I have the hc versions of the art ofthe lotr books. That hobbit set look amazing and I have to get it. Can you share some more of the inside?

Yeah, I've always loved those Art of LOTR books. I got them all too. :)

This Hobbit set looks nice, imo. And it's quite cheap, got it for $12 only. Maybe for some, there's no need to have it and I totally respect that. It's just like other previous releases of The Hobbit. It also has the maps and whatnot. There are illustrations by David Wyatt on each chapter heading. There isn't really anything very special about it, aside from it being split into two books. Part One is thicker than Part Two. It's divided like this: Part One is Chapter 1 to Chapter 9 (An Unexpected Party to Barrels Out of Bond), and Part Two is Chapter 10 to 19 (A Warm Welcome to The Last Stage). Maybe that's how the movie will be split too. Part Two also contains the 1st Chapter of LOTR: FOTR (A Long-Expected Party). Here I've taken some pics.

Front:
7898874586_d38ea22f7a_b.jpg

Back:
7898876148_71b9274985_b.jpg

Inside pages:
7898878950_99d70f2ffa_b.jpg

7898880224_a87e0e8fb6_b.jpg

7898881536_0ffcb55f6d_b.jpg

Thanks! I'd be willing to bet that's how the movies were going to be split until they added a third.

They must have split it into two to correspond with the movie originally being broken into two parts.

However, since the movie has now been split into THREE parts (for some crazy reason) I wonder if they will scrap this idea and split the book into three parts aswell? IMO it would be equally ridiculous :dunno

I collect copies of LOTR and The Hobbit, but I don't feel a need to own this one. It looks really good and the price is reasonable - I'll just have to wait for an inevitable hardcover "collectors" style release that's bound to happen with the movies.

As a book collector, this is a great idea for a thread.

Yep, agreed. He sure left the world a richer place for his writing.

So glad, too, that things came together and Jackson ended-up being responsible for translating his work to the big screen. It's so easy to imagine how some Hollywood hack could've trashed the source material.

Indeed! His writing and what Jackson did with it mean the world to me and have impacted my life.

We're very lucky that it was Jackson who made the movies. He made some changes but his overall respect for the material made sure we got quality.

Back