The DARK KNIGHT's JOKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm one of the few who thought Dead End was just terribly corny, including the suit. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the look of the suit in the comics. But there are just some things that only work well on paper, as a graphic interpretation. The classic bat suit is one of them, in my personal opinion. Gray spandex looks iconic on paper but silly on screen, and would leave 90% of the audience (including a genuine Bats fan like myself) wondering why a billionaire vigilante would commence battle in his pajamas. Especially considering the fact that he has no superpowers, and would logically need some kind of assistive armor.

Anyway, sorry... That's only my humble opinion, I don't mean to trudge up this neverending debate again. :) I thought Begins hit every note just perfectly, I didn't have a single complaint (well, except for Kate Holmes). I admit I'm not necessarily a fan of the bulky black rubber suit, but I accept and embrace it because it makes sense cinematically which helps me 'believe' in that world. And I've always thought the Batmobile should look like the Tumbler, that was just so fitting in my opinion. :rock

LOVING the look of Joker, can't wait to see this installment!

Last edited:
dekadentdave said:
Batman doesn't have a rubber armored suit. Give me the gray suit from the comics anyday, like that guy who made Batman: Dead End. It looked cool and he got it right. In Year One Batman is just making his mark on the streets of Gotham. He has no gadgets, has to rely on his detective skills and martial arts training. It should be urban and raw. Nolan got it all wrong. The first half with the League of Shadows was brilliant but I was so offended by the second half I nearly walked out. I haven't been so pissed off watching a movie since Phantom Menace.

i don't know if the mass market would have the patience to wait through 2 movies before the suit came out. it wouldn't make sense $$ wise.

Andy Bergholtz said:
I'm one of the few who thought Dead End was just terribly corny, including the suit. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the look of the suit in the comics. But there are just some things that only work well on paper, as a graphic interpretation. The classic bat suit is one of them, in my personal opinion. Gray spandex looks iconic on paper but silly on screen, and would leave 90% of the audience (including a genuine Bats fan like myself) wondering why a billionaire vigilante would commence battle in his pajamas. Especially considering the fact that he has no superpowers, and would logically need some kind of assistive armor.

Anyway, sorry... That's only my humble opinion, I don't mean to trudge up this neverending debate again. :)

LOVING the look of Joker, can't wait to see this installment. :rock
Yes, exactly. :rock

snakebeater said:
gimmie the burton-mood (snowy, christmas, semi goth), Nonlan-directing,story and bale as batman.. and I'm good...

oh and please get the old burton batmobile back... just watch this scene and you'll know what I mean..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLIThrMHEhk
All of those are good, especially the old batmobile, but have someone modify Bale's voice to sound deeper and realistic, not like he has strep throat.

That and I hate the BB suit. Hopefully they'll incorporate the mask, cape and bat insignia from the Keaton costume into TDK, and make the rest of it black and grey.

Andy Bergholtz said:

Anyway, sorry... That's only my humble opinion, I don't mean to trudge up this neverending debate again. :) I thought Begins hit every note just perfectly, I didn't have a single complaint (well, except for Kate Holmes). I admit I'm not necessarily a fan of the bulky black rubber suit, but I accept and embrace it because it makes sense cinematically which helps me 'believe' in that world. And I've always thought the Batmobile should look like the Tumbler, that was just so fitting in my opinion. :rock

LOVING the look of Joker, can't wait to see this installment!

Totally agree with you on EVERYTHING stated above. Dead End was a great vision of the comic versions of Bats and Joker come to life, yes.... BUT... it just doesn't work to me. Batman in a cloth suit just doesn't make sense. If it's some sort of composite cloth, like a Flak Jacket... I can understand. But if it's just a gray Leotard with a belt wrapped around it and a cloth cape... It loses that cool vibe and goes against reality. I know that's how the comic is, but in the comics it's not as stark. You see it, you know it's cloth. But you don't think about it, because it's always been that way, you just accept it because it's 2D and you don't see each individual thread and know it's just cotton.

As for Joker.... I mean in the comics it's already a stretch... A murderous clown with a face proportioned like his is? Impossible. So you have to make it work. With this new Joker, I can imagine him being a total loon. Nicholson was iconic, but mainly because he was Nicholson. It was great when I was 10, but now I know better. Joker is as crazy as it gets. He kills as a gag, to him... it's ALL a joke. And to me, this new vision looks to be a winner.... I can see him doing some sick stuff and laughing it off.

I know what it's like to walk around all day with a scarred face, thinking the world is laughing at you.... So it's interesting to have a Joker with that same dynamic.... only he wants the world to be just as twisted and scarred as he is on the outside... That way they can all be in on the joke. :D

DarkArtist81 said:
Joker is as crazy as it gets. He kills as a gag, to him... it's ALL a joke. And to me, this new vision looks to be a winner.... I can see him doing some sick stuff and laughing it off.
But that's just the thing that is MISSING from this version. There is no laughter, no insane "twinkle in his eye", so to speak. He looks more likely to achieve orgasm from his killing than to be overcome with twisted glee.

RoboDad said:
But that's just the thing that is MISSING from this version. There is no laughter, no insane "twinkle in his eye", so to speak. He looks more likely to achieve orgasm from his killing than to be overcome with twisted glee.

I disagree.... I mean, we can't really debate it too much from just one picture. It's just a shot of his disfigurement and not a "character shot" so to speak. But to me it looks to be scary at least. And I am simply hoping that they will also be delving into his madness.... I mean, how can they NOT? :lol

anyone who paints his face like that to cover up bulletholes is crazy, i think he will be laughing like the joker should. he's just going to be psycho and consumed with rage. i like the idea

The suit armor works in the real world. And the Tumbler rocks. Looks straight out of The Dark Knight Returns.

But I agree on the Burton Batmobile, sweet design and Batcostume. But Begins blows those movies away.

Oh and this

5103Batmobile.jpg

rules them all.

If Bryan Singer can make Superman Returns with a pretty-boy dressed in blue and red spandex and people buy it (obviously there are a lot of members on this board that do) then they can make Batman in his traditional gray and black suit instead of rubbery he-man looking body armor.

DarkArtist81 said:
I disagree.... I mean, we can't really debate it too much from just one picture. It's just a shot of his disfigurement and not a "character shot" so to speak. But to me it looks to be scary at least. And I am simply hoping that they will also be delving into his madness.... I mean, how can they NOT? :lol
Again, I disagree ;). I think we can debate this, because it is more than just a disfigurement shot. The crude way the greasepaint is applied, the hollow, emotionless stare, all of these speak volumes to me about the intended portrayal of the character, and it simply doesn't work for me.

I like it very much...despite some stuff, Batman Begins was the most grounded and "realistic" superhero movie.It showed how Batman got his training, how he obtained all his gear and especially the Batmobile being a tank...while Burton's Batmobile was sleek and cool-looking...realistically speaking for Bats to get all around Gotham...the Tumbler was perfect for that.

This Joker looks great and while I did enjoy Nicholson's portrayal...this gives the character a more realistic look as a scary,maniacal killer than a guy dropped in acid and ironically his hair turns green and his skin is a perfect bleached white.

I LOVED Batman Begins, but 1 thing I wish they did do was have Bruce learn. He should have STARTED with that grey spandex, than gotten hurt, than said "I'm getting armor" it would have had a better feel. I don't like the new Joker, I'm a crank, Ledger sucks.:rotfl BUT I'll give it a fair chance and go see it. I hated Scarecrow in BB and it didn't spoil the movie (thanks Liam for the save!)

I don't think anyone in their right mind would wear gray spandex and hope for the best. A Kevlar covering is the obvious way a vigilante like Batman would go. The spandex works in the comics and the corny TV show, but it wouldn't work in a movie.

The reason it works in Superman is because his body IS the "Kevlar".

Yea, look at Spiderman. At the end of every movie his costume is ripped to shreads.

Superman is, man, he is Superman.

Collector Freak said:
I don't think anyone in their right mind would wear gray spandex and hope for the best. A Kevlar covering is the obvious way a vigilante like Batman would go. The spandex works in the comics and the corny TV show, but it wouldn't work in a movie.

I don't mind Batman wearing armor, but more specifically he wore a rubber looking type of armor, Kevlar looks more like fabric. Had it been more fabric like and less molded rubber muscles, it would look better.
Preferably, I'd like a black and gray cloth body suit, perhaps over a armor vest of some sort and a better Mask, which is what I liked least in Batman Begins.

One thing I liked about begins, though I'm a fan of a Batmobile over the tank look, is that most of his costume and tools came from things around him, the prototype suit and vehicle, his gauntlets from Ras' place, the memory cloth, he used what was at his disposal and customized it a bit, unlike the storyline Burton worked from of him kinda magically having the ability to design and build a car with bat fins and all and get computers more advanced than anything out there, gives it some realism so that, while still a fantasy story, you think MAYBE this could really happen.

Collector Freak said:

It's just the idea that I'd like to have seen Bruce make more mistakes and learn and not just have it all right away. I ALSO understand they had a 2 1/2 hours AT MOST to show all that, so I let it slide. But I was hoping for some more trial and error like in Frank Millers "Year One"

Back