The Dark Knight Rises ***USE SPOILER TAGS***

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Dark Knight Rises

I wonder how the people who worked on a project as complex as the tumbler and even moreso this new vehicle never noticed that Batman's using them. Wouldn't they be all over Batman, too? Is there no Internet in Nolan-verse?

Dude . . . Nolan created a perfectly accurate and realistic universe! :gah:
Of course a bike can unfold from the front of an armored tank, and of course cell phones can be reconfigured to create an omniscient sonar scanner that can see through walls.

Multi-tonned vehicles can drive on tiled rooftops, a man can easily break through skyscraper glass by swooping into it, and folks with half their face scorched off often function normally with no risk of infection.

Everything about the Nolanverse is--like--totally believable! :monkey3

Of course a bike can unfold from the front of an armored tank, and of course cell phones can be reconfigured to create an omniscient sonar scanner that can see through walls.

Multi-tonned vehicles can drive on tiled rooftops, a man can easily break through skyscraper glass by swooping into it, and folks with half their face scorched off often function normally with no risk of infection.

:goodpost:
I laughed really hard at this!

:exactly::rotfl:goodpost:

Best post EVER in the Nolanverse. :clap

And shouldn't it be the Nolanopolis? It's just one city after all.

You forgot fall off a high rise in a dress and not one scratch. :tap

But great job! :rotfl

Random thought is that this was developed when wayne was presumed dead so there would be a subconscious disconnect from that... and the handfull of engeniers more than likely were under NDA's and this was no doubt a high level top secret project given the connection the the government. (Probably contract funded in part)

So the people that would know probably can't talk about it and the others that are probably outside of Gotham probably never hear much about Batman. On top of that the protos were camo so that's one more thing the developers prob don't connect to it.

Who knows though. Maybe one does squeal and that's how Bane finds out and steals the others.

But again, I think Bane is one of the original Shadow League that Wayne was in when he blew the place up. That's how he got the injuries and knows who Bat's is.

:lol

I have no idea.

:lecture:lecture

And

:rotfl:rotfl

I remember the day that story was published

My friends were calling me talking about Eddy Murphie as Riddler and Megan Fox as Catwoman.

Dark days.

Eddy Murphie as Riddler

05_beverly_hills_cop_i_303_404_paramount_pictures.jpg

that picture of Eddy Murphie as Riddler really makes me want to throw up.... :Flush

Interview with cinematographer Wally Pfister from last year:

The Dark Knight Rises is the sixth collaboration for director Chris Nolan and cinematographer Wally Pfister ASC, and likely to be the last instalment of Nolan’s Batman series. The two met by chance, or maybe it was destiny calling. Prior to the current production, scheduled for a summer 2012 release, their previous films have been Memento (2000), Batman Begins (2005), The Prestige (2006), The Dark Knight (2008), and Inception (2010).

On a budget of $185 million, The Dark Knight grossed over $1billion at the box office. With an estimated budget of $250 million for The Dark Knight Rises, the heat is on to take Batman even greater heights. Ron Prince caught up with Wally Pfister during the UK leg of the new production to discover how they’re going about it.

Q: What are your thoughts on this collaboration with Chris Nolan?
WP: This is the sixth film I’ve made with Chris. Our collaboration began on Memento – we got along together very well, and saw eye to eye – we have similar filmmaking sensibilities. This has only gotten stronger, and here we are on our third Batman film. I think we bring out the best in each other, the way we analyse the material, find new depths, and figure out the best way to put it on the screen.

Q: Batman has been incredibly successful. So how are you going to ‘wow’ the audience this time around?
WP: You’re right, The Dark Knight made, upwards of $1bilion at the box office, so there’s lots of pressure to up the ante, to create a bigger bang than the previous movie. Chris came to me with the project, said it was the third and concluding part of a trilogy. He wanted there to be a bridge between The Dark Knight and this one, so I set about getting a look that is combination of previous films, while also being original. Batman movies have always been dark. So we’re covering some ground from the previous films, but there’s something new in this one. Chris also wanted to ‘up’ action. We’re shooting segments on IMAX again, and this will really elevate the visual aspect of the film.

Q: How about 3D?
WP: We’re not huge fans of 3D, and believe you get more out of IMAX – a more immersive quality for the audience. People really respond to it. It looks big and exciting and people like that in the theatre, rather than a dim 3D experience with glasses. The wonderful thing about this production is that we have shot more IMAX than we did on The Dark Knight, which is groundbreaking. We shot 28 minutes last time on IMAX, but we’re now upwards of 50 minutes on this film.

Q: What can you reveal about the plot?
WP: Not much! It’s the continuing story of Batman, beginning where it left off last time, with Batman on the run and Gotham City facing continual problems. They realise they need Batman back, but there are new villains he has to tackle. What I can say is that Chris has gathered a lovely family ensemble cast – with Christian Bale as Batman/Bruce Wayne again, Gary Oldman back as Commissioner Gordon, Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, and Michael Caine as Alfred. He has also reunited Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard and Joseph Gordon-Levitt who we worked with on Inception.

Q: What was your prep time on the film?
WP: Chris came to me with project at end of last year. I read the script at Christmas, and then had about four months prep, during which time I travelled across the world scouting locations and assembling the crews in different countries. I also spent lots of time back in LA mapping things out with Chris, before we kicked off in India in April this year.

Q: So what have you been doing at Cardington?
WP: Blowing things up, having fun creating devastation, and shooting great action sequences. Cardington has been a destination for us since we built Gotham City here in 2003 for Batman Begins. We’ve been building large sets here ever since, like the rotating hallway in Inception, and the roadway in The Dark Knight. This time around we have a couple of huge sets that you cannot build on any Hollywood stage. Nothing exists anywhere else in the world like this. Being an old airship hangar, it’s 800ft long, 400ft wide with a 180ft roof. You can build up to 100ft high and still have plenty of space for lighting. What we get here is unique.

Q: Where have you been shooting?
WP: The first two days of filming, which we did on IMAX, took place in Jodhpur, Rajasthan in India, where we shot portions of the story out in the desert that tie in with the Cardington sets. Along with shooting at Cardington, we’ve shot portions of Wayne Manor in Nottingham and in Woolerton near Heathrow. We’re visiting Scotland to shot aerial portions near Inverness.

Q: Being away from London, and on location, how have you been viewing dailies?
WP: Chris and I are very old school. We only watch film dailies and I do one-light prints at Technicolor, with John Ensby supervising. We view our dailies in Panavision’s Loc-Pro screening trailer, that Lester Dunton keeps in fantastic condition for us, and we see the film as I have exposed it and intend it to look, with no manipulation.

Q: What are the working hours on the production?
WP: We work pretty solid 12-hour days. Once or twice we go over by an hour. A couple of times we have had 9 or 10 hour days. Chris is very efficient with his time. There is a rehearsal every day at exactly 7am, with all actors and key crew present. If you are there at 6:55am you are late! Actors included!

Q: How do you relax during the shoot?
WP: I generally separate my weekends from my work life, and switch to family and/or music. I play guitar and sing every Saturday and Sunday afternoon at a blues bar in Soho, which I have done, on and off since we shot The Dark Knight here four years ago. Haris Zambarloukos BSC sat in one time, and Joseph Gordon Levitt (portraying John Blake in the current production) has played drums a few times, as well as my focus puller, Bob Hall.
When I look at a shot through a lens, I hear music in my mind. Films, like music, need a sense of rhythm that affects everything from composition to editing. I use the same part of my brain to play a melody that I use to make decisions about how to pan or tilt the camera. It’s about creating a beat or a rhythm.

Q: Which filmstocks are you using, and why?
WP: I only use two stocks – Kodak 5219 and 5207. I like to change the look with the colour and contrast that comes with the lighting rather than using the different charactaristics of the stock. The stock is my control.

Q: Give us a quick run down of the cameras/lenses and lights being used?
WP: As I mentioned before, we are shooting all action sequences in IMAX, 15-perf, 65mm. It is brilliant! We are also shooting 35mm on Panavision Millennium XL cameras with C and E series Anamorphic lenses.

Q: Are you using any new kit/techniques?
WP: There is a bit of new technology that I am really enjoying. ARRI has this brilliant new LED light that you can change the colour temperature and brightness on. We use it every day. We used the new 24k HMIs as well. It just proves that there is no such thing as too bright a light when you are trying to create sunlight.

Q: What’s been the greatest challenge so far on the production?
WP: Keeping up with Chris. He likes to shoot incredibly fast, and a 15 or 20-minute lighting set-up is not unusual. We have to be on our toes at all times.

Q: Please can you give a name-check to your crew?
WP: We have a lovely bunch of guys on the crew. While I brought my gaffer, Cory Geryak, and my A-camera/focus puller, Bob Hall, who have both been with me for nearly 20 year, in from LA, our London gaffer Ruben Garrett is just a gem. His crew are all great technicians and wonderful guys. The camera department is rounded out with Brad Larner, who has worked with me since Batman Begins, Ian Coffey, Ben Adefarasin and Sally Wright. Together, they are a great, great crew.

Q: Where is the production off too next when you leave the UK?
WP: Well, we’re off to Scotland next… then Pittsburgh... then Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, Los Angeles… then New York. It’s a crazy, mad schedule. We will finish in mid-November.

Q: How has the catering been?
WP: We have wonderful caterers who work with us up at our stage in Cardington, Jim and Mike. They have been with us since Batman Begins in 2003, and they are proper chefs serving fantastic food. Fish and chips on Fridays is the highlight for myself, and our producer Emma Thomas.

Q: Being a regular shooter in Britain, what have you learnt?
WP: I learned what a Richard Burton is. I learned what a laugh and a joke are. I even learned what a Richard The Third is!

Q: What are your thoughts about becoming a member of the BSC?
WP: I am thrilled to become a BSC member – it is an amazing honour. It seems I have spent half of the last seven years shooting and playing in London, and my wife and children love it here as well. There are so many wonderful BSC members that I have met over the time. I’m thrilled.

That's a good interview.

If TDKR indeed picks up 8 years later it's a little weird how he says it picks up where TDK left off, unless it jumps a bit into the movie.

My guess is the Dent funeral/eulogy and Gordon being demoted will occur early on picking up right after TDK and then jump forward to Batman no longer being around/Gordon back to being a Detective.

My biggest fear at this point, and I don't pretend to know the entire plot, but there is already enough similarities from what we have seen to Batman Begin's storyline, that I'm afraid it will suffer from ROTLA/Last Crusade syndrome where to many of the major elements are recycled. The need for Batman and Gordon to both crawl their way back up the ladder again being the obvious. The LOS being seemingly gone but then later returning to destory Gotham, Bruce falling in love with a woman he can't have etc. I already saw that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back