The Dark Knight Rises ***USE SPOILER TAGS***

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. I'm saying, more people should get them. If even one guy in the crowd, or near it, has a gun, retaliation and a stand off can take place to at least stall the offender till help arrives.

Hell, if they're a good enough shot, and are packing some massive balls, maybe they could even take the perp out before then. I'm not saying that "average joes" should go get one. You would have to be responsible and know what you're doing and be a decent shot.

:exactly:
We have open carry in Alaska. You can be at the store and walk by a guy with a gun on his hip.
If you plan on using a gun in something like this you need to go to a shooting range and practice, practice and practice and the practice some more or you might shoot more people than the bad guy.

Thats the problem in this scenerio. A gas filled room with people diving all over the place and hit with a surprise attack. Even a highly trained and skilled shooter would have trouble in this situation. Hell even if you were to shoot the guy with the amount of people around if a bullet goes through him chances are it's hitting someone else.

CHL holders know not to shoot if you don't have a shot, or if you don't know what's going on. A CHL is not a magic get-out-of-hell license ... but it doesn't hurt your chances.

Hollowpoint bullets are less likely to go through-and-through.

SnakeDoc

Thats the problem in this scenerio. A gas filled room with people diving all over the place and hit with a surprise attack. Even a highly trained and skilled shooter would have trouble in this situation. Hell even if you were to shoot the guy with the amount of people around if a bullet goes through him chances are it's hitting someone else.
The gas canisters are still making my head spin. It's like he thought he was rolling up on cops or something. I just don't get it.

Implying that the shooter killed people because he likes Nolan's Batman is as stupid as implying that the Columbine shooters killed their fellow students because they like Marilyn Manson and played computer games. :dunno

We have no way of knowing whether it was related to the movie itself yet.

At the moment, because of the way he did it, the worlds media are sliding towards it being related. Lets wait and see what transpires before saying it was or wasn't Nolan related. No one knows yet.

Being a non-US resident who spends 6-7 months a year in the US I find it ____ing terrifying that every joe one the street could be packing gunpower. I forget sometimes that guns are pretty much everywhere. I guess if you grow up with it, it feels pretty normal. I wish someone would take gun laws in hand and deal with the issues in a zero tolerance manner. But ____ what a creep.:monkey4

The gas canisters are still making my head spin. It's like he thought he was rolling up on cops or something. I just don't get it.

Thats exactly why the media are saying it was Batman related, he thought he was in a ____ing movie (or as Wofford quite rightly pointed out a Call of Duty game).

:exactly:
We have open carry in Alaska. You can be at the store and walk by a guy with a gun on his hip.
If you plan on using a gun in something like this you need to go to a shooting range and practice, practice and practice and the practice some more or you might shoot more people than the bad guy.
Yeah, and that's one of the many reasons I wouldn't mind living in Alaska.

Also, I agree. I've been shooting guns my whole life and even under pressure people make mistakes and this guy was throwing gas canisters, which is worse. Still, hearing opposition might have made him flee the theater. Who knows.

CHL holders know not to shoot if you don't have a shot, or if you don't know what's going on. A CHL is not a magic get-out-of-hell license ... but it doesn't hurt your chances.

Hollowpoint bullets are less likely to go through-and-through.

SnakeDoc

That's my point. I would have a damn hard time pulling the trigger in that environment. This isn't a Lethal Weapon movie where the hero can shoot between the eyes over his shoulder while being peed on by a rhino and having his balls eaten by a leprechaun.

It's obvious this guy planned this. This guy went in expecting resistance. The smoke was used to shock people and create and a distraction while he shot them all up. He probably played one to many rounds of COD.

He didn't blame the victims. That doesn't mean it's not bad parenting to bring a 3 month old baby to a theater because you want to watch a Batman movie at midnight.

I see young babies at the movies all the time, most of the time they just sleep.

I would rather bring my baby than leave him at home unless its with someone who has raised kids. its just like going to a restaurant.

I really do not see any problem with it....... just my opinion.

We have no way of knowing whether it was related to the movie itself yet.

At the moment, because of the way he did it, the worlds media are sliding towards it being related. Lets wait and see what transpires before saying it was or wasn't Nolan related. No one knows yet.

Being a non-US resident who spends 6-7 months a year in the US I find it ____ing terrifying that every joe one the street could be packing gunpower. I forget sometimes that guns are pretty much everywhere. I guess if you grow up with it, it feels pretty normal. I wish someone would take gun laws in hand and deal with the issues in a zero tolerance manner. But ____ what a creep.:monkey4

I too live in a country without nearly as much guncrime as the USA, my personal opinion is that more guns on the streets isn't a positive thing

I see young babies at the movies all the time, most of the time they just sleep.

I would rather bring my baby than leave him at home unless its with someone who has raised kids. its just like going to a restaurant.

I think the issue is with the whole midnight thing. Wait until a normal hour or when you can get a sitter. Is a midnight showing really that pressing that you drag your 3 month old to it. Not to mention the decibal level in theaters with a child that age. Again this has nothing to do with the victims though. Just a curious talking point out of the tragedy.

they're discussing the why. And they don't understand.
Of course they don't. This didn't happen at a school. This wasn't disgruntled, bullied and tortured students, college or otherwise. This was one man... walking into a theater, prepared for World War III, who gunned down anyone and anything that moved, including infants.

This may never be explained, because for all intents and purposes... it looks like some lunatic just woke up one day and decided to shoot innocent people for no good reason, other than he was sick, saddistic, sad, lonely, tired, depressed or whatever other countless reasons that were boiling over in that psychopathic head of his.

That's my point. I would have a damn hard time pulling the trigger in that environment. This isn't a Lethal Weapon movie where the hero can shoot between the eyes over his shoulder while being peed on by a rhino and having his balls eaten by a leprechaun.

Practice, practice, practice. There might not have been an opportunity. Tear gas is tough to withstand and see through.

If you have a shot, take it ... if not, don't. No environment where you have to pull a weapon is going to be easy. Depends on skill and circumstance whether you'd have the opportunity to take him out.

Take cover. Draw the weapon. Try to find an opening to shoot back. I'm a reasonably good shot ... I might've had a shot to take. I'd probably have erred on the side of taking any shot I could've ... I'm not letting a room full of people get shot while I try to find a perfect opportunity to return fire.

SnakeDoc

You are obviously not a parent. Whether you see it all the time is irrelevant. It IS bad parenting and irresponsible. As a parent you make sacrifices. One is clearly missing out on late night adventures unless you have someone to watch your kid.

That's the last I will comment on it.

Practice, practice, practice. There might not have been an opportunity. Tear gas is tough to withstand and see through.

If you have a shot, take it ... if not, don't. No environment where you have to pull a weapon is going to be easy. Depends on skill and circumstance whether you'd have the opportunity to take him out.

Take cover. Draw the weapon. Try to find an opening to shoot back. I'm a reasonably good shot ... I might've had a shot to take. I'd probably have erred on the side of taking any shot I could've ... I'm not letting a room full of people get shot while I try to find a perfect opportunity to return fire.

SnakeDoc

I was in the Marines. 0311 here. I have personally been gased and practiced practiced practiced. Because of this training I'm not even close to being as naive as you on this type of scenerio. :slap

they're discussing the why. And they don't understand.

he was sick dude. Some people just snap and blame there problems on other people and try to justify the killing of other people as somthing right to do. Some people are just sick.

What the ____... o_O

You are obviously not a parent. Whether you see it all the time is irrelevant. It IS bad parenting and irresponsible. As a parent you make sacrifices. One is clearly missing out on late night adventures unless you have someone to watch your kid.

That's the last I will comment on it.

:exactly::lecture:good post:

I am and couldn't agree more. Even the noise levels would be dangerous for a young child's ears.
I think you said it all with "if you can't get a babysitter, don't go"

:mad:

I was in the Marines. 0311 here. I have personally been gased and practiced practiced practiced. Because of this training I'm not even close to being as naive as you on this type of scenerio. :slap

Not sure where we contradicted each other. Like I said, there might not've been a shot to take. I'd have taken one if I thought I had a reasonable chance.

SnakeDoc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back