"The Dark Knight" 2008 !!!!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Batman Sequel "The Dark Knight" Announced

I'm really curious to see how Joker will be portrayed in the hyper-realistic Batman Begins setting. I expect it will be something very different fom the Cesar Romero/Jack Nicholson loud outfits, cackling type.

He'll probably be more in the vain of the 'Killing Joke'. Vile and murderous.

pjam said:
Or Keaton, the comedian, playing Batman! :D
That doesn't say much. :rolleyes:

For the record, I've never like Keaton as Batman. I still think to this day that his acting in Batman is horrible. The thing that makes Batman a good movie wasn't Keaton but the production and design of the movie. If you take away everything that was Burton-ish from the movie, you'd have nothing but a pile of crap. Burton and Nicholson were the stars of Batman. Keaton was just some guy in a suit. You could replace him with anybody and the movie would of came out just as great.

Can anybody point me to anything that Heath Ledger has done that would help to convince me that he is anywhere near appropriate for the Joker? What is the previous movie role that made this sound like a good idea? And I am not being sarcastic, I would like some suggestions, because I obviously missed one or two of his films and would like to see something that would make me understand this casting choice. I am tremendously underwhelmed by this announcement...

Batty said:
He'll probably be more in the vain of the 'Killing Joke'. Vile and murderous.

That's what I was thinking too, you have to trust the Director and his casting decisions and remember Nolan also co-wrote the story.

As far as Keaton, he may not have been everyone's favorite choice either but he carried the role as Bruce Wayne, was cast by Burton and it was a very successful film worldwide which held up to scrutiny.

ps Tom, check out previous page post re: "The Lords of Dogtown"

Last edited:
Joker is Batman's ultimate nemesis - we definitely need to see him in Nolan's Bativerse. I think Talia is a must because they've already introduced Ras and she is the most significant love of Bruce's life.

Heath Ledger as the Joker? Come on now!

BROKEBACK BATMAN!!! :monkey4

brokebackmountaindh0.jpg

tomandshell said:
I obviously missed one or two of his films and would like to see something that would make me understand this casting choice. I am tremendously underwhelmed by this announcement...

Its a funny one. I never would have thought of Heath Ledger to be a Joker but I guess there must be something in him that the director sees that will make him a successful bad guy.

I have only seen Ledger in comedies, films like 10 things I hate about you and more recently, the Brother's Grimm.

Have you seen A Knights Tale Tom? (I think he was in that, but I'm not sure if that was a more serious role or not as I havn't).

Im struggling to think of any serious films.

Either way I think we will be very happy with the results. After all, look how Christian Bale was received when he was first announced to be Batman.

DannieDarKo said:
Heath Ledger as the Joker? Come on now!

BROKEBACK BATMAN!!! :monkey4

brokebackmountaindh0.jpg

dannie clear out you pm box. also, Bruce Wayne, I wish I knew how to quit you.

CookieMonster said:
Its a funny one. I never would have thought of Heath Ledger to be a Joker but I guess there must be something in him that the director sees that will make him a successful bad guy.

I have only seen Ledger in comedies, films like 10 things I hate about you and more recently, the Brother's Grimm.

Have you seen A Knights Tale Tom? (I think he was in that, but I'm not sure if that was a more serious role or not as I havn't).

Im struggling to think of any serious films.

Either way I think we will be very happy with the results. After all, look how Christian Bale was received when he was first announced to be Batman.

Other than Brokeback, I have really only seen him in comedies or "teen heartthrob" roles. As for Knight's Tale, if Queen's "We Will Rock You" starts to play when he appears onscreen in "The Dark Knight" I will very likely walk out of the theater.

tomandshell said:
Other than Brokeback, I have really only seen him in comedies or "teen heartthrob" roles. As for Knight's Tale, if Queen's "We Will Rock You" starts to play when he appears onscreen in "The Dark Knight" I will very likely walk out of the theater.
When you think about it, queen songs would have been appropriate for Brokeback however.:D

DannieDarKo said:
Wow Tom I've only seen a Kinghts Tale once ( at the theatre but I was dragged to it I swear!) and forgot all about that song. :lol
Quit lying danny. I know all about your Heath shrine and Knight's tale collection.:D

tomandshell said:
Can anybody point me to anything that Heath Ledger has done that would help to convince me that he is anywhere near appropriate for the Joker? What is the previous movie role that made this sound like a good idea? And I am not being sarcastic, I would like some suggestions, because I obviously missed one or two of his films and would like to see something that would make me understand this casting choice. I am tremendously underwhelmed by this announcement...

From a previous post:

Ledger, at first blush, is a definite question mark I totally got that vibe too. But he can also play an off color character with a mean streak very well as he did in "Lords of Dogtown" and I think that is what Nolan is going for here, (although HL leaned a bit too heavily on the Kilmer/Jim Morrison paradigm).

My only concern is his gravely voice but as I have stated earlier if Nolan is good with it, I am good with it.

Ledger is just like Bale, he is a top notch actor and not just a pretty face.

As for multiple badguys, I have no problem, worked in Begins. It works as long as you don't have 2 top tier guys going up against each other like Riddler and Two Face.

And as ****ty as Batman and Robin was, Arnold was a nice fit for Mr Freeze, just a little too much camp, but then the whole damn movie was.

EVILFACE said:
Ledger is just like Bale, he is a top notch actor and not just a pretty face.

As for multiple badguys, I have no problem, worked in Begins. It works as long as you don't have 2 top tier guys going up against each other like Riddler and Two Face.

And as ****ty as Batman and Robin was, Arnold was a nice fit for Mr Freeze, just a little too much camp, but then the whole damn movie was.
Yeah, lines like "chill" and "freeeeze" are instant classics.:rotfl

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with Batman Begins," director Christopher Nolan, who has also signed up for the sequel, said in a statement. "Our challenge in casting the Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Like I said, if Chris is cool with it, I'm cool with it...

What I want to know is whether or not Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, and Morgan Freeman will be returning. The supporting cast is what helped make "Batman Begins" a great film.

As for those worried about multiple villains, just remember that the last one wasn't hurt by the presence of both Rhas-Al-Ghul AND the Scarecrow. If it worked with two villains last time, it can work again.

I'm not worried at all... Heath has shown great intensity in films like The Patriot and Lords of Dogtown, so I know he can be psychotic if directed. Plus, I always liked the more murderous Joker... the evil bastard who laughs as he beats little boys to death with crowbars...

And the original Batman did the worst thing when they had the Joker be the one who killed Bruce's parents.... AND they killed him off??!!? I mean, one of the biggest repeating themes in the Bats tales is that Bruce wants to kill him so badly but recognizes the dark side of himself in the Joker. So he continues to let him live, despite all of the death and carnage he's caused. Joker is the evil reflection of Batman... what he could have been.

I had my worries about Bale when he was announced, but he surpassed my expectations. I know that Nolan will not let the Joker be a crappy character that will be forgotten, nor let him be a repeat of Nicholson's performance. (as great as it was). He made the Scarecrow watcheable and not silly, I know he can bring Joker to a new level.

And btw, I love that they are redoing the villians. I know that some of Bats Rogues gallery has yet to be done, but his core villians were done horribly... no doing justice to their comics counterparts... especially Two-Face! They need to be shown as the icons they are and given back their dignity. And for God's sake Warner Bros.... DO NOT KILL THEM ALL OFF!!! That's why Gotham has Arkham Asylum!! :bat

tomandshell said:
What I want to know is whether or not Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, and Morgan Freeman will be returning. The supporting cast is what helped make "Batman Begins" a great film.

As for those worried about multiple villains, just remember that the last one wasn't hurt by the presence of both Rhas-Al-Ghul AND the Scarecrow. If it worked with two villains last time, it can work again.

Caine and Oldman signed multi-pic deals I believe, at least I know Caine did and knowing Warners, they probably locked Oldman...

Don't know about Lucius but loved Morgan and because everyone else did too and someone has to run Wayne enterprises they may have already locked him too...

And we can forget about seeing Katie Holmes again, many execs @ WB sunk in their chairs and called her the weak link in BB, clearly she doesn't have the acting chops to stand scrutiny with such a talented cast, not to demean her, she's a fine TV actress but I mention it because it is VERY LIKELY The Dark Knight will have a new romantic interest in this sequel. Bet on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back