The Cheap-O Customizer Thread! Post your under $100 customs!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galactiboy

OT Preferist
Reaction score
So, not my original idea... I'm stealing this from another member. But with the crazy high costs of stock and custom figures I thought it'd be fun to explore the more affordable side of "going your own" on a custom figure.

So the rules are the figure should have cost in total no more than $100, and to keep it honest a price breakdown would be appreciated. Better if it's under a $100 including shipping costs... but we can be flexible on that one :lol Hopefully we'll see some completed and even WIP or planned figures.

So to start off here's an older one from me:

Mumm-Ra the Ever Living
mummq.jpg

mummp.jpg

mummt.jpg

Costs and Recipe:
$5 Head- misc. costs for original sculpt and paint by me
$20 Body, hands and feet- Soldier Story
$5 Material for wraps
$17 Cape by D-Arts Studio
$10 Decal and stand by EvilFace
$57 Total

Time to post your cost effective customs!!!

Last edited:
Nice custom and a cool idea for a thread, now I wish I had something that I could post in here :( :lol

Nothing under a Benjamin Jabba? Maybe that should be a goal for you then... do a great custom as much on the cheap as you can.

I think I've got a few more, but I don't want to blow my wad all at once :lol

dang..........i should have several i did under a $100 from when i first got into this crazy hobby. just need to go back over a few threads. i may have to guesstimate a few things though.

I love these sought of threads!

Will post some of mine soon! :)

Last edited:
Sweet, looking forward to it! Now if I could just remember the thread that inspired me. It was recent and a member posting a figure that cost him less than $100 to assemble.

Sweet, looking forward to it! Now if I could just remember the thread that inspired me. It was recent and a member posting a figure that cost him less than $100 to assemble.

Howdy! https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131536

bb1.JPG

bb2.JPG

bb3.JPG

bb4.JPG

bb5.JPG

Sculpt: 20 Dollars
Mask: 2 Dollars
Suit: 8 Dollars
Gun+Other Miscs: Roughly 15-20 Dollars

All in all, 45-50 bucks

I'd like to do an Ash next, but I don't know where I can find a good head for a decent amount.

would these count?
HPIM0239.jpg

these were anywhere from 10-15 bucks........and with any additional pouches and bits maybe another $6.........:dunno.......nice cheap & fun to do.

next one is a snowtrooper......
snw9.jpg

the best i can guess would be around $70 (putting a $30 value on the marmit body i used).

conan..........
const3.jpg

body was a jaxx stone cold steve austin i found at a kb years ago for $10...........the head was about $20? from storerooms (probably a recast sideshow....:slap), the marto sword was the most expensive at about $45 back when........the rest is just scrap stuff i had maybe value it at $5-7????

the movie heavy metal b-17 airman...........
attachment.php

$30 marmit body.......$2 skull (was a keychain), $10 jacket, $5 pants, $5 boots, $8 life vest, $5 headset, $7 parachute, scavenged the hands from a plastic halloween skeleton......$1 maybe?

one big reason i got into customizing was i just couldn't see paying those hot toys prices for stuff (that's totally out the window now..:lol) & because some of the stuff i did didn't exist. but mainly for the fun & challenge of it. i have lots more like zombies, more upgraded hasbro star wars stuff, and a few odd pieces i came up with so these are just a few.

I have a couple if I use my way back machine (2008 I guess?). . .both are kind of cheats, because I didn't have enough confidence to do head painting myself back in these days, and in fact, my customization of one consisted of my putting the head on the body, BUT. . .:

6c3dd857-c1bf-4009-ad6f-2fe84d6ab94e_zpse0e57acc.jpg

Body, gloves, and boots: probably $25 total
Head: From a figure I paid about $25 for
Outfit and weapon: traded about $20 of Minimates for it
Paint job: about $20
Beret: from the 12" Hasbro Flint figure
Estimated total: $90

aae44d7d-87a9-431e-b6ef-8041f224d459_zps300b7fd2.jpg

I bought the Hot Toys figure with the custom, unpainted head for about $75 a few years ago (was a great deal when I found it!). Head paint was again about $20. So roughly $95 for this bad boy.

Great stuff Barryo and Kara :rock Some really killer looking figures. And Barryo, you know how I've loved that "Heavy Metal" pilot for years now :lol

Howdy! https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131536

I'd like to do an Ash next, but I don't know where I can find a good head for a decent amount.

There you are :rock Ash is tricky because of the head being pricey. I think my AOD one was close to $100 with $40 of that being the sculpt... I'll need to crunch the numbers.

Nice you can make me a MummRa for $57 then.

Yes, $57 for materials... but I charge hourly like a plumber so add another $400 or so for the additional hours sculpting, wrapping and painting that sucker :lol

How hilarious would a 1/6 Snarf be... no other thundercats, just Mummified Mumm-Ra and Snarf the mail away and pack-ins from the 80's LJN series :lol

So I did crunch the numbers and my AOD Ash came in under $100 as well:

ashaodi_zps152663f5.jpg

ashaodb_zpsc1e640fc.jpg

Parts list and cost:
$55 Head by Caine, painted by me
$15 Soldier Story body and hand
$20 Approximate cost of Ash pieces from a full figure
$5 SS Indiana Jones pants and 2 better belts from parts bin
$95 Total

And interestingly I've started a 2nd AOD Ash using the same recipe... but I was able to get the head and outfit for $50. So if I follow the same recipe the V2 will only be about $75 :rock

I'm at a disadvantage, I can't paint like that. :gah:

That Ash is gorgeous, unfortunately instead of 75 for me, he'd be more around 160. :(

Another member had started the custom, but never finished and was selling off the parts. Took a long time to sell and he dropped the price to $50, at that point the deal was too good to resist. Part of being a cheap-o customizer is also searching for deals... I'm always on the look out and trying to get stuff for the absolute lowest possible.

The Sideshow Ash usually isn't a very expensive figure... used to be easy to score a MIB one for $35 or so shipped, but over time I think a lot of people by them for the shoes, boomstick and chainsaw so the price has gone up.

The Evil Ash is another good project... just needs a new body, a hot/cold water reshape of the armor paint and weathering to be an awesome figure :lecture

evilasha.jpg

evilashc.jpg

Cost and Recipe
$25 Sideshow Evil Dead Ash loose, repainted, weathered, etc.
$15 Prometheus 1.2 body
$40 Total

The Evil Dead II Evil Ash might also have been under $100, but I can't remember if I paid $50 or $75 for the head :huh

Back