The case for Sgt. Slaughter and other lesser known Joes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhm...because we are uber fans? :huh

Look, I'm not saying that all A-listers be pushed aside for lesser tier characters, all I'm saying is that the Joe team has a great variety of characters to choose from and Sideshow should consider all of them for 1/6th figures. How do you know that Sgt. Slaughter won't sell? that's highly bold of you to assume that Sgt. Slaughter will "destroy" the line.

Lissen, im a huge joe fan(toys/comics/cartoons), and i love the diversity of joe...but , certainly with joe, ya gotta go top tier figs for awhile before even thinking of going background.

here is an easy list they need to make before the other third/fourth level joes:

duke
scarlett
baroness
gung ho
lady jaye
destro
major bludd
crimson guard
flint
firefly
roadblock
ROCK 'N ROLL
shipwreck

all of the above i believe would be WAAAAY more popular than a sarge, far more recognizable and i think desired. There are just too many figs that should be made without question to 'throw a flier' out on a goofy choice for the next fig to be 'chuckles' or someone.

SW can get away with goofy choices like bib fortuna or (3)(!) endor troops, i dont think joe has the SW fanbase to be able to survive those bad choices...

i dont have a prob if they make 100 diff joes(wont be able to buy them all though :) ) but ,if given a choice, the main ones are way higher on my list to risk them not getting made if the line fails for bad choices...

Wish list, sure I'd love to see the original 3 Dreadnoks, Mutt & Junkyard were favs, but I really liked Shockwave, the SWAT guy. I loved his urban camo. And hey, he had a mask so that should put him high on SS to do list.

Lissen, im a huge joe fan(toys/comics/cartoons), and i love the diversity of joe...but , certainly with joe, ya gotta go top tier figs for awhile before even thinking of going background.

here is an easy list they need to make before the other third/fourth level joes:

duke
scarlett
baroness
gung ho
lady jaye
destro
major bludd
crimson guard
flint
firefly
roadblock
ROCK 'N ROLL
shipwreck

all of the above i believe would be WAAAAY more popular than a sarge, far more recognizable and i think desired. There are just too many figs that should be made without question to 'throw a flier' out on a goofy choice for the next fig to be 'chuckles' or someone....

Those are great choices, but go up to someone and say Flint or Roadblock or even Firefly and people will look at you with WTF? but say Sgt Slaughter and they will instantly think GIJoe, even before thinking WWF. I thought he had a great look and was portrayed well in both comic and toon.

Love him or hate him, Sgt. Slaughter is no third tier character. Maybe he was in the comics - and if that's your "canon" or whatever, that's fine. But you can't ignore the fact that he was very prominent in the Sunbow cartoon (not to mention the movie and even DIC), and he had several figures during the '80s RAH line, ie: mail-away in '85, retail in '86, retail again in '88, and SM version in '89, with his own subset no less.

Not saying he should be made before others like Flint, Roadblock, Gung Ho, etc... but let's not relegate him to Skidmark status here...

Or, for more "colorful" types I'll start with Barbecue, Mutt/Junkyard and Blowtorch:

barbecue4.jpg

mutt8front.jpg

blowtorch3.jpg

I had all three of these! :rock

Love him or hate him, Sgt. Slaughter is no third tier character. Maybe he was in the comics - and if that's your "canon" or whatever, that's fine. But you can't ignore the fact that he was very prominent in the Sunbow cartoon (not to mention the movie and even DIC), and he had several figures during the '80s RAH line, ie: mail-away in '85, retail in '86, retail again in '88, and SM version in '89, with his own subset no less.

Not saying he should be made before others like Flint, Roadblock, Gung Ho, etc... but let's not relegate him to Skidmark status here...

:rock :rock :rock

Another thing, Sgt. Slaughter was always one of my favourites as a kid, certainly not because he was a wrestler, but because he looked like a realistic military figure. Along with Stalker, Hawk V2, Falcon, Grunt, Snake Eyes and Footloose, he was a figure that I ALWAYS had use for during my childhood missions. I liked the guys who wore green, black and camo the best!

I guess others didn't feel that way, but for that reason, I never really understood the hatred for Sgt. Slaughter, when we had far more unrealistic Joes on the team even during the heydays of 1984-86, despite his "real life" status.

If Sideshow doesnt produce a Sgt. Slaughter, I think Dutch is an excellent start to a Sgt bash. We would need a head commisioned and some other small additions. It would be an expensive bash, but would look pretty sweet imo.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 bgColor=#000000 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=alt1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
sgtslaughter2.jpg

I agree with "B-listers" with nice gear like Barbecue, Snowjob, and Blowtorch. I'm afraid that Torpedo would look a bit too much like a generic frogman, but who knows? He might sell, too. I might pick Wet-Suit instead, since he is a bit more colorful and distinctive.

If Sideshow doesnt produce a Sgt. Slaughter, I think Dutch is an excellent start to a Sgt bash. We would need a head commisioned and some other small additions. It would be an expensive bash, but would look pretty sweet imo.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 bgColor=#000000 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=alt1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
sgtslaughter2.jpg

Good call. A headsculpt, black tank top and whistle is all you need to make Slaughter out of Dutch. As you said, pricey but doable.

sgtslaughter2.jpg
if anyone out there is seriously considering destroying a dutch to make a SS, youre nuts...certifiable

Back