The Captain's Costumed Customs!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Faramir

Super Freak
Reaction score
Yes yes, I've been working on this FOREVER, but it's done at last--my first custom costume, BOROMIR'S CLOAK!

064.jpg

It was a pain to make, but fortunately my dad, the master taylor, helped out a lot. The fabric used is a fine velvet. VELVET? Yes! See, at this scale, velvet actually ends up looking like fur, so the choice is perfect. The outer layer is a deep, dark maroon/brown color, and the interior is black, just like in the movie.

070.jpg

The hood is not too large, but enough to get a good look to it. It had to fall like the real one would, with the furred look to make it seem warm and cozy but not too huge.

071.jpg

The clasps were stolen from the Toy Biz King Elessar figure, simply cut and glued from his shoulder pauldrons. They're the perfect shape and color, and worked fine. Then I added the drawstrings:

067.jpg

A ton of sewing and work was really involving, and fortunately Dad was really helpful. All in all, it turned out perfectly! Unfortunately with school and all, it'll be a while before I can consider trying another one, so be patient for now as commissions won't be feasible for the time being. Once summer comes though . . .

073.jpg

Enjoy these pics for now, hopefully more will come later next week!

The Captain

Congratulations, Captain. The cloak looks fantastic on Boromir. I look forward to seeing more pics. Thanks for sharing.

Nice work, a long time coming... but really adds a lot to him. I'd love to see some outdoor snow shots of him ala JediBear.

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get more pictures to show you all, it really does look really good on him! At last that thing is done with; doing it by hand is a major hassle but turned out right in the end. Now he looks perfect!

Next project--Faramir's green vest and cloak!

That looks very profesh Captain. Amazing work and I can't wait to see Faramir's Vest. Keep up the good work.

That was actually the tricky part--making it look heavy without being too bulky. It was especially difficult because the two layers of velvet made it very thick. This meant the fabric had to be continually smoothed out in order to keep it from getting too plush. Still, it needed the weight and bulk in order to look like real fur. That was the hardest part.

Thanks! It's nice to know there's a part of customizing in which I can do well; I always feel so inept when I look at those who do all kinds of repaints and sculpts. This, at least, is an area in which I can shine a little bit!

Congrats Cap. Someone with such a careful eye and care as you would definatley make sure Boromir's cloak was accurate and not just settle. Great job to both you and your Dad! :woo

I too am in the "can't paint and can't sculpt (well)" category, but I'm finding that I am pretty good at more diorama/playset creations. I'll start my own thread showing my latest project for school soon.

Back