The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$10 coupon for Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind Blu is up on Disney Rewards. [/url]

Thanks for the code jjj. While I obviously own Nausicaa on DVD, its always so nice not to have to dig out the box because I'm so lazy and all my DVDs are in a binder. Not my blus, but my DVDs...

Thanks! This will be mine. My favorite Miyazaki film. Gotta run and cancel the preorder on Amazon now and hope somebody has this for $20 on release day.

The French branch of Warner Home Video has announced that, on May 18, it will re-release Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange in a 40-Anniversary, 2-Disk Digibook Blu-ray edition. Just a few days earlier, the film be projected digitally at the Cannes Film Festival, featuring a new digital restoration. There is no information about a US release at the moment.

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the start of the long-standing relationship between Warner Bros and Kubrick, seven of his movies will be digitally projected in theaters across France starting June 1: Lolita, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining (in its US version, never released before in French cinemas), Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut.

Additionally, the French Cinémathèque will host an exhibition on Stanley Kubrick, with an area of over 10,000 square feet and displaying screenplays, correspondence, research documents, on-set photographs, costumes and props, as well as in-depth documentation on Kubrick's unfinished projects, such as his Napoleon.

Update:

Spanish site Planeta HD has posted the first image of the upcoming 40th Anniversary edition. Confirming the reports from HD Numérique, it will indeed be a two-disc Digibook edition. Disc 2 is also a Blu-ray and visibly includes two documentaries: Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures (previously available only on DVD) and O Lucky Malcolm (already available on the first edition of A Clockwork Orange).

The fact that a documentary is being shifted to another disc indicates that in this case WHV won't simply reuse the existing first-edition disc and slap a second bonus disc to create a special edition, like it did recently with GoodFellas: 20th Anniversary Edition (see Blu-ray.com, February 1, 2010).

fe76a239c471021e67e132067c08d957o.jpg

I hope the US get's this as well and that they will do the same to 2001 and Full Metal Jacket :pray:

And The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut.

Or are they from another studio?

No, those two as well. Don't know how i could forget The Shining :slap

Spartacus, though, is from Universal but the PQ is average. I wish Criterion could have kept the rights to it so we could get a much better release for it :(

They mentioned last year that this summer they will release the rest of Kubricks movies, Lolita and Barry Lyndon and a Box-set, i think, with all the WB releases. Don't know who will release Fear And Desire, Killer's Kiss and The Killing, his first three movies?

Thanks for the code jjj. While I obviously own Nausicaa on DVD, its always so nice not to have to dig out the box because I'm so lazy and all my DVDs are in a binder. Not my blus, but my DVDs...

Thanks! This will be mine. My favorite Miyazaki film. Gotta run and cancel the preorder on Amazon now and hope somebody has this for $20 on release day.

I have to figure out something to do with my DVD's they are too much to have out considering the number of Blu's I have. Ugh. :slap

I don't have nearly as many as you other collector nuts, but I just found a couple of nice suede/leather cases at Target, boxed up the cases and now the DVD collection is more or less my nightly viewing material upstairs in the bedroom. Until I transfer the bluray player up there and upgrade the one in the living room. Then I will be free to jettison even more DVDs. Horror though, lives in a collection of its own in my office with all the Sideshow, etc.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has officially announced Taxi Driver for Blu-ray release on April 5, in a 35th Anniversary edition. This gritty urban drama, written by Paul Schrader, directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Robert De Niro as a man driven to violence by loneliness and desperation, won the 1976 Palme d'Or at Cannes and was nominated to four Academy Awards. In a welcome initiative, SPHE has licensed the use of the original Scorsese/Schrader audio commentary previously only available on the Laserdisc.

As previously reported (see Blu-ray.com, January 27), the film has received a 4K digital restoration from the original negative, which will be presented and screened at the Berlin Film Festival this week.

Special features include:
Commentaries:
Director Martin Scorsese and writer Paul Schrader (recorded in 1986 by The Criterion Collection)
Paul Schrader
Professor Robert Kolker
Interactive Script to Screen
Martin Scorsese on Taxi Driver
God's Lonely Man
Producing Taxi Driver
Influence and Appreciation: A Martin Scorsese Tribute
Taxi Driver Stories
Making Taxi Driver
Travis' New York
Travis' New York Locations
Storyboard to Film Comparisons with Martin Scorsese
Animated Photo Galleries
movieIQ

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5880

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has officially announced TRON: Legacy and the original 1982 movie Tron for Blu-ray release on April 5. Legacy will be presented in several configurations: a 2-Disc BD/DVD Combo Pack; a 4-Disc BD 3D/BD 2D/DVD/Digital Copy Combo Pack; a 5-Disc 2-Movie Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D + DVD + Digital Copy of TRON: Legacy + Blu-ray of TRON: The Original Classic Special Edition) and a Limited Edition Ultimate TRON Experience in collectible Identity Disc packaging.

TRON: Legacy
Visualizing TRON
Installing the Cast
First Look at TRON: Uprising – the Disney XD animated series
The Next Day: Flynn Lives Revealed (BD-exclusive)
Disney Second Screen (BD-exclusive): this feature transforms the movie watching experience by allowing viewers to explore the story behind the film perfectly synched on a second device, like an iPad or laptop, without interrupting their enjoyment of the movie. By simply accessing the Disney Second Screen companion application on their Internet-connected device, consumers are able to dive deeper into the film by engaging with elements including 360-degree vehicle turnarounds, interactive progression reels, and more. Disney Second Screen directions and access codes can be found inside the Blu-ray Disc packaging. Audio synching is powered by TVPLUS.
Launching The Legacy (BD-exclusive)
Disc Roars (BD-exclusive)
Music video: Daft Punk, "Derezzed" (BD-exclusive)

TRON:
Audio Commentary
Photo Tronology (BD-exclusive)
The TRON Phenomenon
The Making of TRON
Development
Digital Imagery
Music
Publicity
Deleted Scenes
Design
Storyboarding
Galleries

18434_front.jpg
Tron-Legacy-Four-Disc-Combo-Blu-ray.jpg

20252_front.jpg

tron-blu-ray-cover-art.jpg

_1296833640.jpg

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5876

Here is a new pic of the Play.com exclusive
It still looks horrendous. A cardboard box with F' all inside
17751755a.jpg

What the hell are they including the soundtrack for? Most Tron fans who this is meant to aimed at, picked that up ages ago

I have got the USA version on Pre-order

It's probably the word TRON that is throwing you off. If you notice, the left upper part of the T hangs over from the rest. Everything else is squared off and lined up.

I wrote Disney,
that "Tron Classic" art is a joke...
THey usually have high standards for their graphic design, but this one is just horrendous...
Anybody with a computer can do a better job than that...
shame on them... :yuck

Can't wait to find out all the deleted scenes that will be on the original SW trilogy Blu-Ray.

The Criterion Collection has announced a record seven titles for Blu-ray release in May. On May 3, it will release Fat Girl (À ma soeur; Catherine Breillat, 2001) and Smiles of a Summer Night (Sommarnattens leende; Ingmar Bergman, 1955). A week later, it will release Something Wild (Jonathan Demme, 1986). On May 17, the studio will put out Diabolique (Les diaboliques; Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1954) and Pale Flower (Kawaita Hana; Masahiro Shinoda, 1964). And last but not least, May 24 will see BD releases for The Great Dictator (Charles Chaplin, 1940) and Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972).

The transfer of Fat Girl has been director approved. Something Wild is approved by director of photography Tak Fujimoto.

Diabolique:
Selected-scene commentary by French-film scholar Kelley Conway
New video interview with Serge Bromberg, codirector of Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno
New video interview with horror film expert Kim Newman
New and improved English subtitle translation
A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty

Fat Girl:
Behind-the-scenes footage from the making of Fat Girl
Two interviews with director Catherine Breillat, one conducted the night after the film's world premiere at the 2001 Berlin Film Festival, the other a look back at the film's production and alternate ending
French and U.S. theatrical trailers
A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau, a 2001 interview with Breillat, and a piece by Breillat on the title

The Great Dictator:
New audio commentary by Charlie Chaplin historians Dan Kamin and Hooman Mehran
The Tramp and the Dictator (2001), a documentary narrated by filmmaker Kenneth Branagh and featuring interviews with author Ray Bradbury, director Sidney Lumet, historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr., screenwriter Budd Schulberg, and a host of others
Two new visual essays, by Chaplin archivist Cecilia Cenciarelli and Chaplin biographer Jeffrey Vance
On-set, color production footage shot by Chaplin's half-brother, Sydney
Deleted scene from Chaplin's 1919 film Sunnyside
Theatrical trailer
A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Wood and a 1940 article by Chaplin on the film

Pale Flower:
New video interview with director Masahiro Shinoda
Selected-scene audio commentary by film scholar Peter Grilli, coproducer of Music for the Movies: Toru Takemitsu
Original theatrical trailer
New and improved English subtitle translation
A new essay by film critic Chuck Stephens

Smiles of a Summer Night:
Video introduction to the film by director Ingmar Bergman
Video conversation between Bergman scholar Peter Cowie and writer Jörn Donner, executive producer of Fanny and Alexander
A booklet featuring an essay by theater and film critic John Simon and a 1961 review by film critic Pauline Kael

Solaris:
Audio essay by Andrei Tarkovsky scholars Vida Johnson and Graham Petrie, coauthors of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue
Nine deleted and alternate scenes
Video interviews with actress Natalya Bondarchuk, cinematographer Vadim Yusov, art director Mikhail Romadin, and composer Eduard Artemyev
Excerpt from a documentary about Stanislaw Lem, the author of the film's source novel
A booklet featuring an essay by critic Phillip Lopate and an appreciation by director Akira Kurosawa

Something Wild:
New video interviews with Demme and writer E. Max Frye
A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic David Thompson

35_BD_box_348x490.jpg

259_BD_box_348x490.jpg

565_BD_box_348x490.jpg

564_BD_box_348x490.jpg

237_BD_box_348x490.jpg

164_BD_box_348x490.jpg

563_BD_box_348x490.jpg

That's the French version but i think the US version will be the same, they just havnt announced it yet. Either way, it will be Region Free :) But it's not up yet at Amazon.fr or fnac.

Awesome thank you!

I actually love my Clockwork Orange blu ray, I thought the transfer was amazing!

Awesome thank you!

I actually love my Clockwork Orange blu ray, I thought the transfer was amazing!

Speak of the devil :lol

Warner Home Video Celebrates Four Decades of Visionary Filmmaker on May 31

A Clockwork Orange 40th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray™

Stanley Kubrick: Limited Edition Collection

9-Film Blu-ray Collection Includes Blu-ray Debuts, Premium Packaging, New Bonus Features & Hard Cover Book

Stanley Kubrick: The Essential Collection

9-Film DVD Collection includes 40-Page Book

Burbank, Calif., February 14, 2011 – Stanley Kubrick was one of the great filmmakers of our time and his profound influence on motion pictures continues to this day. His 1971 film, A Clockwork Orange, starring Malcolm McDowell, portrayed an oppressive lawless society where man was reduced to little more than a machine. This was a powerful film made by a director at the height of his artistry and its impact generated worldwide controversy.

On May 31, Warner Home Video will honor Kubrick with A Clockwork Orange 40th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray ($34.99 SRP). The two-disc release includes two newly-produced bonus features: Turning Like Clockwork, a 25 minute documentary about the film’s “Ultra-violence” and its cultural impact, and a short documentary where Malcolm McDowell reminiscences on closely working with legendary director Stanley Kubrick. This two disc Edition will also include the feature-length documentaries: Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures and O Lucky Malcolm! The 40th Anniversary Edition will be packaged in a 40-page Blu-ray Book with rare photos, production notes and more.

A Clockwork Orange introduced into popular culture the concept of “ultra-violence,” as singing-, tap-dancing-, derby-topped hooligan Alex (McDowell) has a “good time” – at the tragic expense of others. His journey from amoral punk to brainwashed proper citizen and back again forms the dynamic arc of Kubrick’s future-shock vision of Anthony Burgess’ novel. 40 years later, the world is a different place but the film’s power still entices, shocks and mesmerizes today.

A Clockwork Orange 40th Anniversary Edition is also available On Demand and for Download from iTunes™, including bonus iTunes™ extra content. Additionally,Lolita, Barry Lyndon, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut will be available On Demand and for Download.

On the same day, continuing the celebration, WHV will release the Stanley Kubrick: Limited Edition Collection on Blu-ray ($148.95 SRP) -- an unprecedented 9-film, 10-disc collection, which contains every film the director made since1960. The collection features the film and bonus content from A Clockwork Orange 40thAnniversary Edition, the Blu-ray debuts of Lolita and Barry Lyndon, as well as the feature films Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut. The Blu-ray collection will be elegantly boxed in new book-style premium packaging and will include a 40-page hard-cover book that explores the breadth of genres and themes in Kubrick’s work. The same group of films will be available on DVD in Stanley Kubrick: The Essential Collection ($74.92 SRP), which includes a 40-page soft-cover book.

About Stanley Kubrick

Recognized as one of the most accomplished, innovative, and influential directors in film history, Stanley Kubrick was a perfectionist who maintained complete artistic control and privacy during the shooting, and even the subsequent marketing of his movies. Many of Kubrick’s acclaimed works were received as controversial and provocative, yet still regarded as brilliant and visionary. Kubrick’s films earned 19 Oscar® nominations including three for Best Picture (Dr. Strangelove/1964, A Clockwork Orange/1971 and Barry Lyndon/1975) and

four for Directing (Dr. Strangelove/1964, 2001: A Space Odyssey/1968, A Clockwork Orange/1971 and Barry Lyndon/1975). In 1960 under the direction of Stanley Kubrick, Spartacus won four Oscars® (Actor in a Supporting Role, Art Direction, Cinematography and Costume Design). In 1968 Stanley Kubrick won the Oscar® for Special Visual Effects for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Kubrick was born on July 26, 1928 in New York City and grew up in the Bronx where his father was a physician. At the age of 13, Kubrick became interested in photography and began to self-teach himself the art of photography. Prior to graduating high school, Kubrick had sold two picture stories and a photograph of a news vendor noting in all of their headlines the death of President Franklin D. Roosevelt with a sad image of him. Look selected the photograph for a series about FDR as the final picture of the series. Look shortly thereafter hired him as an apprentice photographer and within six months at age 17, he became one of their youngest-ever staff photographers.

After creating a photo story on boxer Walter Cartier for the magazine, Kubrick then directed an impressive, gritty short documentary film, Day of the Fight (1950), based on his pictorial titled “Prize Fighter.”

Paths of Glory (1957), starring Kirk Douglas and set in World War I, was one of the most uncompromising anti-war films in movie history. Douglas subsequently hired Kubrick to direct Spartacus (1960), the most intelligent of the then “epic” films. It was the only film on which Kubrick did not have absolute control. All of Kubrick’s subsequent films are presented in these two new collections (see below for film details).

Kubrick immigrated to England in 1961, where he found more autonomy and greater control as a filmmaker. Stanley Kubrick died peacefully at his home in England Sunday, March 7, 1999. He is survived by a wife and three daughters and has left the cinema with an enduring legacy.

More About A Clockwork Orange 40TH Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray

Causing major controversy when first released, the film garnered four Academy Award® nominations – Best Picture, Best Director, Best Film Editing and Best Screenplay – and is #4 on AFI’s Top 10 List of Best Science Fiction films of All Time.

Disc 1:

· Feature Film

· New Bonus Features

o Malcolm McDowell Looks Back: Malcolm McDowell reflects on his experience working with legendary director Stanley Kubrick on one of the seminal films of the 1970s

o Turning like Clockwork Considers the Film’s Ultra-violence and its Cultural Impact

· Plus

o Commentary by Malcolm McDowell and historian Nick Redman

o Documentary Still Tickin’: The Return of Clockwork Orange

o Great Bolshy Yarblockos!: Making A Clockwork Orange

o Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2:

· Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures (Produced and directed by Jan Harlan the brother of Christiane Kubrick, Stanley Kubrick's widow). Kubrick’s career comes into sharp focus in this compelling documentary narrated by Tom Cruise. Fascinating footage glimpses Kubrick in his early years, at work on film sets and at home, augmented by candid commentary from collaborators, colleagues and family.

· O Lucky Malcolm! Documentary about the life and career of actor Malcolm McDowell produced and directed by Jan Harlan.

About The Other Films in the Collection

Bonus features are included in the Stanley Kubrick: Limited Edition Blu-ray Collection.

The Stanley Kubrick: The Essential Collection on DVD includes the films only.

Spartacus (1960)

This genre-defining epic is the legendary tale of a bold gladiator (Kirk Douglas) who led a triumphant Roman slave revolt. Filmed in glorious Technicolor, the action-packed spectacle won four Academy Awards® including Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Cinematography Costume Design and Art Direction. This is the first time the film has been included in a Warner Bros. Kubrick Collection.

Lolita (1962) NEW ON BLU-RAY!

Humbert, a divorced British professor of French literature, travels to small-town America for a teaching position. He allows himself to be swept into a relationship with Charlotte Haze, his widowed and sexually famished landlady, whom he marries in order that he might pursue the woman's 14-year-old flirtatious daughter, Lolita, with whom he has fallen hopelessly in love, but whose affections shall be thwarted by a devious trickster named Clare Quilty.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

The cold war satire is a chilling dark comedy about a psychotic Air Force General unleashing an ingenious, foolproof and irrevocable scheme sending bombers to attack Russia, as the U.S. President works with the Soviet premier in a desperate effort to save the world. The film stars Peter Sellers, in multiple roles, George C. Scott, and Sterling Hayden.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Stanley Kubrick’s dazzling, Academy Award®-winning achievement (Special Visual Effects) is an allegorical puzzle on the evolution of man and a compelling drama of man vs. machine. Featuring a stunning meld of music and motion, the film was also Oscar®-nominated for Best Director, Art Direction and Writing. Kubrick (who co-wrote the screenplay with Arthur C. Clarke) first visits the prehistoric age-ancestry past, then leaps millennia (via one of the most mind-blowing jump cuts ever) into colonized space, and ultimately whisks astronaut Bowman (Keir Dullea) into uncharted space, perhaps even into immortality.

Special Features:

· Commentary by Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood

· Documentary 2001: The Making of a Myth

· Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001

· Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001

· 2001: A Space Odyssey – A Look Behind the Future and What Is Out There?

· 2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork

· Look: Stanley Kubrick!

· Audio-Only Bonus: 1966 Kubrick Interview Conducted by Jeremy Bernstein

Barry Lyndon (1975) NEW ON BLU-RAY!

Redmond Barry (Ryan O’Neal) is a young, roguish Irishman who's determined, in any way, to make a life for himself as a wealthy nobleman. Enlisting in the British Army and fighting in Europe’s Seven Years War, Barry deserts, then joins the Prussian army, gets promoted to the rank of a spy, and becomes a pupil to a Chevalier and con artist/gambler. Barry then lies, dupes, duels and seduces his way up the social ladder, entering into a lustful but loveless marriage to a wealthy countess named Lady Lyndon. He takes the name of Barry Lyndon, settles in England with wealth and power beyond his wildest dreams, before eventually falling into ruin.

The Shining (1980)

From a script he co-adapted from the Stephen King novel, Kubrick melds vivid performances, menacing settings, dreamlike tracking shots and shock after shock into a milestone of the macabre. The Shining is the director’s epic tale of a man in a snowbound hotel descending into murderous delusions. In a signature role, Jack Nicholson (“Heeeere’s Johnny!”) stars as Jack Torrance, who’s come to the elegant, isolated Overlook Hotel as off-season caretaker with his wife (Shelley Duvall) and son (Danny Lloyd).

Special Features:

· Commentary by Steadicam inventor/operator Garrett Brown and historian John Baxter

· Vivian Kubrick’s Documentary The Making of the Shining with Optional Commentary

· View from the Overlook: Crafting The Shining

· The Visions of Stanley Kubrick and Wendy Carlos, Composer

Full Metal Jacket (1987)

A superb ensemble falls in for Stanley Kubrick’s brilliant saga about the Vietnam War and the dehumanizing process that turns people into trained killers. The scathing indictment of a film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Screenplay. Joker (Matthew Modine), Animal Mother (Adam Baldwin), Gomer (Vincent D’Onofrio), Eightball (Dorian Harewood) and Cowboy (Arliss Howard) are some of the Marine recruits experiencing boot-camp hell under the punishing command of the foul-mouthed Sergeant Hartman (R. Lee Ermy). The action is savage, the story unsparing, and the dialogue is spiked with scathing humor.

Special Features:

· Commentary by Adam Baldwin, Vincent D’Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey and critic/screenwriter Jay Cocks

· Full Metal Jacket: Between Good and Evil

Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Kubrick’s daring and controversial last film is a bracing psychosexual journey through a haunting dreamscape, a riveting suspense tale and a career milestone for stars Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. Cruise plays a doctor who plunges into an erotic foray that threatens his marriage – and may ensnare him in a murder mystery – after his wife’s (Kidman) admission of sexual longings. As the story sweeps from doubt and fear to self-discovery and reconciliation, Kubrick orchestrates it with masterful flourishes. His graceful tracking shots, rich colors and startling images are some of the bravura traits that show Kubrick as a filmmaker for the ages.

Special Features:

· Three-Part Documentary: The Last Movie: Stanley Kubrick and Eyes Wide Shut

o The Haven/Mission Control,

o Artificial Intelligence or The Writer as Robot

o EWS: A Film by Stanley Kubrick

· Lost Kubrick: The Unfinished Films of Stanley Kubrick

· Interview Gallery Featuring Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman and Steven Spielberg

· Kubrick’s 1998 Directors Guild of America D.W. Griffith Award Acceptance Speech

Stanley Kubrick Promotion Releases

Street Date: May 31, 2011
Order Due Date: April 26, 2011

A Clockwork Orange 40th Anniversary Blu-ray Book
$34.99 SRP
Catalog # 1000169336
UPC # 883929157761

Stanley Kubrick: Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$148.95 SRP
Catalog # 1000175414
UPC # 883929165834

Stanley Kubrick: The Essential Collection (DVD)
$74.92 SRP
Catalog # 1000175413
UPC # 883929165827

Back