The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

It is about time! :rock:rock:rock
no kidding, such a simple thing but neither BR or HD had that capability.
It's funny 'cause the PSP did that with UMD's and I thought all along, "Why the hell doesn't something as sophisticated as the PS3 do this?". Mine is already doing it though, weird. It happened with I Am Legend BD the other day.

PS3 BD-Live Update Coming This Month

Sony Computer Entertainment has announced that they will issue a firmware update later this month that will enable the PlayStation 3 (PS3) to playback BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Blu-ray movie discs. BD-Live allows your Blu-ray player (in this case, a PS3) to access additional content via an Internet connection. Some already revealed BD-Live features include downloading related movie trailers, sending a ringtone to your cellphone, and playing interactive online games.

Scott A. Steinberg, vice president, product marketing, SCEA commented, "With Blu-ray established as the high-definition optical disc standard, more consumers are ready to jump in and take advantage of everything the format offers. Whether you want to download movie extras, send ringtones to your phone, or play interactive games, BD-LIVE will offer exciting new ways to enjoy a Blu-ray movie. With these regular firmware updates and future-proofed technology, SCEA is making the 10-year lifecycle of PS3 possible."

In conjunction with the release of this BD-Live upgrade, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release 'Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story' and 'The 6th Day', both of which will feature exclusive BD-Live content to show off the potential of the upgrade. Additionally, films such as Lionsgate's 'War' and 'Saw IV', which were released earlier this year, already have BD-Live features right on the disc.

With this upgrade, the PS3 will become the first available BD-Live Blu-ray player on the market, living up to its position as the ultimate home entertainment system. The first standalone BD-Live Blu-ray player will be the Panasonic DMP-BD50, which is expected to be released this May.

Full Upgrade Details
BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Upgrade
  • "Resume play" will enable PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed. (*1)
  • "Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
  • PS3 system's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.
  • DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
  • "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback. (*2)
*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.
*2 BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.

:rock :rock :rock :rock

Ok so everytime I get a new Blu-ray Disc it talks about updating my player. my player is not hooked up to the internet, anyone have any good ideas how I can do that?

Ok so everytime I get a new Blu-ray Disc it talks about updating my player. my player is not hooked up to the internet, anyone have any good ideas how I can do that?

try the website of the BR player's manufacturer. they should have it available to download and burn to disc.

For people who bought their HD-DVD player from Best Buy before February 23rd--you can get a $50 gift card back from them, if you ordered online or used the rewards card at the store you'll automatically get one sent to you, otherwise you have to contact them.

Pretty good deal--plus I still get to keep the player.

PS3 BD-Live Update Coming This Month

Sony Computer Entertainment has announced that they will issue a firmware update later this month that will enable the PlayStation 3 (PS3) to playback BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Blu-ray movie discs. BD-Live allows your Blu-ray player (in this case, a PS3) to access additional content via an Internet connection. Some already revealed BD-Live features include downloading related movie trailers, sending a ringtone to your cellphone, and playing interactive online games.

Scott A. Steinberg, vice president, product marketing, SCEA commented, "With Blu-ray established as the high-definition optical disc standard, more consumers are ready to jump in and take advantage of everything the format offers. Whether you want to download movie extras, send ringtones to your phone, or play interactive games, BD-LIVE will offer exciting new ways to enjoy a Blu-ray movie. With these regular firmware updates and future-proofed technology, SCEA is making the 10-year lifecycle of PS3 possible."

In conjunction with the release of this BD-Live upgrade, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release 'Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story' and 'The 6th Day', both of which will feature exclusive BD-Live content to show off the potential of the upgrade. Additionally, films such as Lionsgate's 'War' and 'Saw IV', which were released earlier this year, already have BD-Live features right on the disc.

With this upgrade, the PS3 will become the first available BD-Live Blu-ray player on the market, living up to its position as the ultimate home entertainment system. The first standalone BD-Live Blu-ray player will be the Panasonic DMP-BD50, which is expected to be released this May.

Full Upgrade Details
BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Upgrade
  • "Resume play" will enable PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed. (*1)
  • "Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
  • PS3 system's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.
  • DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
  • "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback. (*2)
*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.
*2 BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.

Update is available NOW!!

Downloading as I type..

https://www.aintitcool.com/node/36102

Coming to BluRay....MONSTER SQUAD :rock:rock:rock

That would be awesome.

Waht interests me more is the talk on Night of the Creeps. About 4 years ago, I was watching the movie channels late one night and fell in love with the movie. I immediately went online to see where I could buy it, and was immediately dissapointed. Things don't look any better, but it's interesting to see what the problem was.

Best Buy cuts select Blu-ray movie titles to $19.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Mar 27th 2008 12:58PM by Brian White
Filed under: Products and services, Amazon.com (AMZN), Best Buy (BBY)

Not only is Best Buy, Inc. (NYSE: BBY) moving swiftly to kick out the dead HD DVD format from its store shelves, but now the largest consumer electronics retailer in the U.S. is starting to aggressively price the victor format of the next-generation DVD -- Blu-ray.

Although there is now just one next-generation DVD format available, consumers still haven't ponied up tons of cash to buy Blu-ray hardware players and accompanying $29,99 Blu-ray movie titles. Why? Standard DVD is good enough for most of us.

That is, until the prices come down on the players and the movies themselves. Blu-ray players are still pricey at $399 and up in most cases, but Best Buy is taking the sting out of some movie prices by cutting many popular titles to $19.99 each. Psychologically, that gets Blu-ray pricing on some level of parity with normal $14.99 and $16.99 DVD prices. Even some new releases on standard DVD start at $19.99 as well.

And not only that, online competitor Amazon.com (NASDAQ: AMZN) started offering more than 100 Blu-ray titles this week at up to 47% off. Is this the start of aggressive Blu-ray movie pricing meant to finally spur sales of the new DVD format? Now that the competing HD DVD format is out of the way, the path becomes much easier for retailers. Perhaps aggressive movie titles will actually cause the more expensive hardware to move faster off shelves.

Universal Releases Blu-ray Plans

It's a nice start, now all we need is for Paramount to get on the ball. :tap
Blu-Ray.com said:
Universal Releases Blu-ray Plans

Posted April 17, 2008 08:12 AM by Josh

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has released their plans for shifting their high definition focus from the defunct HD DVD format to Blu-ray. Beginning in July, Universal plans to release all new home video releases on Blu-ray day-and-date with their DVD releases. The first title receiving such treatment will be the Neil Marshall film 'Doomsday'.

That title will be followed by a slew of upcoming films, including 'The Incredible Hulk', 'Wanted', 'Hellboy II: The Golden Army', 'Mamma Mia!', and 'The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor'. You will notice that these films have not yet been released theatrically, meaning dates for their home video release are still a ways off.

On the catalog front, the first three Universal titles will be 'The Mummy', 'The Mummy Returns', and 'The Scorpion King', all which have been given a release date of July 22nd. No specs have been announced for these titles, nor any indication if they would be direct ports from the HD DVD or receive new transfers.

Also on slate for 2008 will be 'American Gangster', 'Knocked Up', 'The 40 Year Old Virgin', 'Miami Vice'*, 'End of Days', 'U-571', and 'Land of the Dead'. More catalog releases are planned, but were not announced at this time.
*For you Bagels! ;)

Now if only Paramount would release Sweeney Todd and Cloverfield on Blu-Ray.

Now that you mention Cloverfield, I keep seeing the release commercial, but it only talks about "Get it on DVD". They usually always say get it on DVD and HD-DVD and/or BLu-Ray today or Next Tuesday. But Cloverfield has not at all mentioned getting it on either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, which worries me that we will not be getting any version of it in HD for awhile.

Now that you mention Cloverfield, I keep seeing the release commercial, but it only talks about "Get it on DVD". They usually always say get it on DVD and HD-DVD and/or BLu-Ray today or Next Tuesday. But Cloverfield has not at all mentioned getting it on either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, which worries me that we will not be getting any version of it in HD for awhile.

It's a Paramount release, it was planned as an HD-DVD exclusive but the format change happened before they announced and so they had to scrap the release plan so it is only released on regular DVD too. Same for Sweeney Todd, except they had that announced as an HD-DVD exclusive and canceled it shortly afterward.

Back