The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

Oh, they probably will. Do you know how much their license is worth? A crap ton of money!!! Sony will only stand to make more money. The more MS sells their drive with either the console or add-on drive, the more money they get. Win win for Sony. With the HD-DVD movies dead, people will have to buy Blu-Ray for their HD movies. Sony makes a +++++ ton of cash!

I see your point, i guess I was looking at the small picture. I can agree that BR media and drives will always outsell game systems anyway.

Sony isn't the sole owner/maker of Blu-Ray, they are a major contributor but they don't own it. Possibly the reason for Microsoft to be talking with Sony is to get the ability, or maybe to use one of Sony's Blu-Ray drives as the addon---the Xbox HD-DVD addon was actually a Toshiba drive. The drives aren't expensive, you can buy one for the computer right now for $150 so I'm guessing a Blu-Ray addon would be like $170 or so.

It's not up to Sony. The BDA will make that call.

That is true, because Sony was just one of the creators. Here's the complete list of board members that will be able to vote on this decision:

* Apple Inc.
* Dell Inc.
* Hewlett-Packard Company
* Hitachi, Ltd.
* LG Electronics
* Mitsubishi Electric
* Panasonic (Matsu++++a Electric)
* Pioneer Corporation
* Royal Philips Electronics
* Samsung Electronics
* Sharp Corporation
* Sony Corporation
* Sun Microsystems
* TDK Corporation
* Thomson SA
* Twentieth Century Fox
* Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
* Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.

Lots of decision makers in this pile. MS just has to offer them the right price for the license and we got either a Blu-Ray drive internal 360 coming for this holiday season with the 45nm chips, or we will just get the add-on.

Ok I got my Sony BD player today for only $200 brand spankin new! One question though guys why does it come with the old red, yellow, and white cables? That is a little bit of crap but can you tell me what cords are the best to get this thing hooked up to a tv? Maybe a HDMI cable?:confused:

Well, the regular RCA (Red/Yellow/White) cables will usually have some extra conectors--I think another 3 RGB cables--that's for analog (non-digital) high-definition cables. The reason it still has the old standard-definition cables is if you might want to play your movies on a regular TV like if you didn't have those movies on regular DVD.

HDMI is great-one simple connector that carries both HD audio and video, it's digital which means the quality can't be affected by the quality of the cable (don't get suckered into buying expensive cables).

HDDVD_vs_bluray.gif

Anyone have superman the movie on blu-ray? i was wondering how it looks.

thx.

Ok I got my Sony BD player today for only $200 brand spankin new! One question though guys why does it come with the old red, yellow, and white cables? That is a little bit of crap but can you tell me what cords are the best to get this thing hooked up to a tv? Maybe a HDMI cable?:confused:

i bought mine here...top notch/fast shipping and recommended by AVS forum...oh yeah and they are cheap.

https://www.monoprice.com/products/...=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

Nice, cause i noticed it was pretty good on dvd was wondering if it was worth it for the blu-ray pick up!

Does it look good with that? That is a dang good price and also how do you get your player to play through your surrond sound?
Yes they look good. Those $50.00 HDMI cables at Best Buy are bull++++.

Does it look good with that? That is a dang good price and also how do you get your player to play through your surrond sound?

it's the best video cable available, if your t.v. has the plug for it. it also carries the digital sound too(carries video and audio signals) but only to whatever it is plugged into. you would just run it from the ps3 into your stereo receiver and then another cable running from the stereo receiver "hdmi out" to your t.v. and get the best sound and video. this will give you sound from the t.v. and the receiver.

i have the hdmi cable running from my Direct t.v. box to my t.v. so i'm getting the best picture and an optical cable from the Direct t.v. box to the stereo receiver for the sound. i'm not sure, unless you have a really new stereo receiver, you'll be able to tell much difference on the sound side from the sound the HDMI cable is carrying and the sound the optical cable is carrying.

but if your t.v. has HDMI plugs use that cable fo' sho' just for the video quality.

Last edited:

i bought mine here...top notch/fast shipping and recommended by AVS forum...oh yeah and they are cheap.

https://www.monoprice.com/products/...=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

Seconded. Monoprice.com is the way to go, I love those guys. When you deal with a digital signal (such as HDMI) there is no signal loss, therefor no reason to spend insane amounts of money on cables. They offer digital coaxial, and audio optical if you don't have HDMI on your surround.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat147600050717&type=category

An Important Message from
Best Buy for HD DVD Player Owners
For months, there has been much debate surrounding the two competing high-definition video formats: Toshiba's HD DVD and Sony's Blu-ray Disc. Recently, Toshiba announced that they will no longer produce HD DVD players, and movie studios have decided not to release new titles in the HD DVD format.

Exciting news if you bought your HD DVD player from Best Buy
As the owner of an HD DVD player, you may have concerns about these developments. At Best Buy, we are dedicated to making sure you always have the right technology for you. That's why we're offering you a complimentary $50 Best Buy gift card for each HD DVD player you purchased from Best Buy before February 23, 2008. (See details and qualifying models.) Use the gift card to treat yourself to anything you want in our stores or online. Most qualifying customers will automatically receive their complimentary gift card by mail in the coming weeks. If you qualify and haven't received yours by May 1, 2008, please call us at 1-888-BEST-BUY to verify your eligibility (have your receipt handy, if possible).

Good news (even if you didn't buy from us)
Be assured that your HD DVD player will continue to play existing HD DVD titles (and upconvert standard DVDs to near-HD quality) as it always has. If you purchased a Best Buy service plan with your HD DVD player, we will continue to honor it for the life of the plan. If, however, you wish to trade in your HD DVD player and HD DVDs, we offer a convenient way to do so via our Best Buy Trade-In Center. Beginning March 21, visit BestBuyTradeIn.com to get an instant estimate of the value of your HD DVD player and movies. See below for further information, along with additional resources that we hope you'll find helpful as you examine your options.

PS3 BD-Live Update Coming This Month

Sony Computer Entertainment has announced that they will issue a firmware update later this month that will enable the PlayStation 3 (PS3) to playback BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Blu-ray movie discs. BD-Live allows your Blu-ray player (in this case, a PS3) to access additional content via an Internet connection. Some already revealed BD-Live features include downloading related movie trailers, sending a ringtone to your cellphone, and playing interactive online games.

Scott A. Steinberg, vice president, product marketing, SCEA commented, "With Blu-ray established as the high-definition optical disc standard, more consumers are ready to jump in and take advantage of everything the format offers. Whether you want to download movie extras, send ringtones to your phone, or play interactive games, BD-LIVE will offer exciting new ways to enjoy a Blu-ray movie. With these regular firmware updates and future-proofed technology, SCEA is making the 10-year lifecycle of PS3 possible."

In conjunction with the release of this BD-Live upgrade, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release 'Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story' and 'The 6th Day', both of which will feature exclusive BD-Live content to show off the potential of the upgrade. Additionally, films such as Lionsgate's 'War' and 'Saw IV', which were released earlier this year, already have BD-Live features right on the disc.

With this upgrade, the PS3 will become the first available BD-Live Blu-ray player on the market, living up to its position as the ultimate home entertainment system. The first standalone BD-Live Blu-ray player will be the Panasonic DMP-BD50, which is expected to be released this May.

Full Upgrade Details
BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Upgrade
  • "Resume play" will enable PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed. (*1)
  • "Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
  • PS3 system's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.
  • DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
  • "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback. (*2)
*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.
*2 BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.

Back