The best likeness ever in 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All eyes looking at the same face will register the same raw facts, but brains integrate the data differently. Just because of personal subconscious values, different emphasis will fall on different datum. Some things will stand out more than others, so there can be inaccuracies in recollection; memory can be biased.

But, any individual face is of specific measurements at any given moment in time. It is the object of the specific volume that the eyes and spatial centers of the brain identify it as, independently of any help from the subconscious. If people can't do that, I'd say something's broken.

All true, but there is also the anthropological angle, we are all hard wired to search out faces, it's why we see them in clouds, flames, patterns and the moon. But we are all products of our environment and cultural upbringing so we recognise different 'types' of faces with a differing degree with accuracy. Also what our brains actually consider the most memorable and key points of a face can differ wildly from one person to the next. This isn't just evident in how we interpret sculpted portraits, but also 2D paintings, caricatures and it goes part way to explain why when we see someone in the street and say 'hey don't you think that X looks a lot like Y", sometimes the person you are talking to will say "NO, what the hell are you talking about, they are NOTHING alike!"

Ho hum!

At least I'm right all the time... you all just need to get used to it!:cool::D:duh

For me, best 1/6 likeness ever goes to Adam's Joker heads. Beyond incredible.

Coming soon..WIP

4090208336_cb653d6d0d.jpg

4090208712_52a1e9bb46.jpg

Last edited:
joker dx and batman DK dx, look straight into batman eyes and tell me he isn't looking back lol

Seriously... I love the Snipes portrait, I'd go so far as to say it's one of my recent favourites. But I guess we all see different characteristics in a sculpt in our own interpretive ways, it's why this kind of debate goes on.

That's probably true. But i keep looking at the toybiz version and, sure, the outfit/accessories/painting are crappy compared to HT, but the likeness, though improved from the prototype, is really off. When I opened the box, my first reaction was: "who is this guy?"
Once out of the box, sure, there's a liitle likeness, but HT has done much better before... But as you say, people don't always see things in the same way... :D

Blade is a lot closer than Wolverine is.

Two words: NO WAY

Blade IMO is one of the worst sculpts of their latest figures. But if we look closer to all their Marvel figures, not even one of them are dead on. Look at the Batman figures and then look at Tony Stark, Wolverine, Blade.... I think thats a problem with the actors likeness... What do you think? =/

edit: I agree. The Toybiz sculpt is far more accurate than the Hot Toys version. I mean, ONLY in the sculpt... the problem is that the toy biz lack of all the details that Hot Toys put on their head... but the likness is far better in the toy biz figure.

Two words: NO WAY

Blade IMO is one of the worst sculpts of their latest figures. But if we look closer to all their Marvel figures, not even one of them are dead on. Look at the Batman figures and then look at Tony Stark, Wolverine, Blade.... I think thats a problem with the actors likeness... What do you think? =/

edit: I agree. The Toybiz sculpt is far more accurate than the Hot Toys version. I mean, ONLY in the sculpt... the problem is that the toy biz lack of all the details that Hot Toys put on their head... but the likness is far better in the toy biz figure.

Now that you say it, it's true that what HT's been doing with their Marvel line looks less accurate than their DC line, although we may say that the first Joker wasn't very dead on either.
Actually, I think that every company has gems and failures. and the more figures they release, the more obvious it becomes. It's only natural. Sculptors aren't machines and sculpting is submitted to a certain dose of interpretation. The human face and its expressions are so complex that the sculptor has to compromise to get a generic portrait.
That said, I agree with what you say. I love the accessories (and here, Blade ranks among the best figs), but the sculpt is one of their greatest failures.

Seriously... I love the Snipes portrait, I'd go so far as to say it's one of my recent favourites. But I guess we all see different characteristics in a sculpt in our own interpretive ways, it's why this kind of debate goes on.

I agree with the Blade beating out Wolverine. Wolverine can look like Jackman but it isn't blatant, the production, shipped head for Blade is instantly recognizable as Wesley Snipes, you could crop a photo to just the face so the hair wouldn't give away character and you'd still know. If you did that with Wolverine, I think you'get get a mix of who thinks it's Hugh Jackman and who doesn't.

This thread proves beyond doubt that 1/6 is where its at!

PF'ers can suck it :moon

Yeah look at the Anakin Skywalker PF and the 1/6th scale one and tell me the 1/6th is actually better than the PF... HAHAHAHA!

I remain open to both PF and 1/6th, but I'm more a fan of the PF. 1/6th have real hits and misses, depending on who makes them.

HT though.... definitely the cream of the crop in 1/6th. Outstanding quality, though I was disappointed with the change they made to the head on Michael Jackson Thriller. They should have stuck to the first version. :banghead

I agree with the Blade beating out Wolverine. Wolverine can look like Jackman but it isn't blatant, the production, shipped head for Blade is instantly recognizable as Wesley Snipes, you could crop a photo to just the face so the hair wouldn't give away character and you'd still know. If you did that with Wolverine, I think you'get get a mix of who thinks it's Hugh Jackman and who doesn't.

You see I agree with this comment.
That's why I could not agree on the Wolverine sculpt being a failure.

I'd give it to HT Godfather being just a tad better EB Jack Bauer...the only reason being the JB head being detached from the neck detracts from the last degree of realism.

I could not agree on the Wolverine sculpt being a failure.

Consider this. This thread is about who you consider to be the best likeness ever in 1/6th. Who you consider is an open variable, but in this thread there isn't anyone who has submitted Wolverine as being one of the best likenesses, and this thread has been open long enough and with enough posts that someone would have mentioned him by now.

Instead we get more conjecture leaning toward the open variable. The sculpt is a good one, but HT chose to market it as being " with authentic likeness of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine", which to me, being the open variable, only has a marginal likeness. Had HT omitted that one questionable point, you could say, cool HT Wolverine, or if it had been a more accurate sculpt, cool, it even looks just like Jackman.

Consider this. This thread is about who you consider to be the best likeness ever in 1/6th. Who you consider is an open variable, but in this thread there isn't anyone who has submitted Wolverine as being one of the best likenesses, and this thread has been open long enough and with enough posts that someone would have mentioned him by now.

Instead we get more conjecture leaning toward the open variable. The sculpt is a good one, but HT chose to market it as being " with authentic likeness of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine", which to me, being the open variable, only has a marginal likeness. Had HT omitted that one questionable point, you could say, cool HT Wolverine, or if it had been a more accurate sculpt, cool, it even looks just like Jackman.

I think you are misunderstanding me.
I never said Wolverine was the best sculpt, that would be crazy.
Even I look at it and think to myself it could have been a better likeness, but I would not say it's a failure.
When I position it with the head looking down, or look at the side profile I can see Jackman, but there is room for improvement.
A failure in likeness to me, is something like the Rambo PF.

For me its not even a discussion..the Enterbay ones are by far the best likenesses. I dont think you can argue with masked or highly makeup'd figures like joker...that hides quite a bit. The Bauer is pretty freaky looking on how real..the Godfather is close behind, and the Conner is pretty damn near on.

The Connor is a very lifelike painted sculpt, but in terms of a Bale likeness, it misses the mark, definitely wouldn't even put it in top 5 likenesses among 1/6 portraits, probably not even top 10.

Of the figures I own, my favourite sculpt is Stormtrooper Han. It's got a really cool faux-innocence about the grin. It just cries out to be posed with arms out in a "Who? Me?" way!

The product pictures I've seen of the Mech Test Tony Stark have impressed me no end too. I hope the end product is as good.

And I remember seeing what was either a repaint or re-sculpt of the 12" Aragorn and it blew me away. Viggo seems to be a nightmare to capture.

The most disappointing sculpts I have are the EPIV and EPV Han Solos. Neither look quite right.

Man so many to choose from...
1. HT Godfather Brando
2. HT John Connor
3. EB Jack Bauer
4. HT Joker DX
5. EB Bruce Lee.

most of HT's sculpts have AMAZING likeness' to the actors. NOT dead on, but very very close to them that when you or anyone else walks by, right away you can tell who it's supposed to be.

i believe sculptors like yulli, kojun and many others CAN sculpt a dead on likeness of the actors, but choose not to. what they do, so far from what i've seen is, they choose to leave out the actors facial imperfections, i.e. bale's mole, snipes large forehead.

we all know the human face is asymmetrical. if you took one side of your face and placed a mirror to create a whole face, it'll look different. only some people's faces are perfectly even, but it's rare.

basically, what the sculptors do, in my opinion, is that they sculpt the faces of the actors too perfect. they leave out the 'imperfection' of these actors because they want us to have the 'romantic' representation of them.

granted, some sculpts such as wolvie are off. maybe kojun's sculpting ability just isn't on the level of yulli or the dude that sculpted JB. is he still a fine sculptor? sure. but in terms of capturing the likeness', imperfect of perfect, he still needs work.

oh i also wanted to add...

if you look at kojun's bale sculpt...it looks like bale, but it's off. why is that? because his face doesn't look skinny enough. his bale looks too healthy, and not the 'sickly' version we saw in the movie. i've seen others attempts at sculpting bale from salvation, and while it looks like him as well, but because they captured his imperfections, to me, it looked off.

anyway, this is all of course my opinion on the matter. people are always going to complain on this issue of likeness. NO ONE will be satisfied.

Last edited:
The Connor is a very lifelike painted sculpt, but in terms of a Bale likeness, it misses the mark, definitely wouldn't even put it in top 5 likenesses among 1/6 portraits, probably not even top 10.

The sculpt greatly resembles Bale IMO. Everyone I showed it to new exactly who it was. Not even in the top ten? Harsh!

Back