The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol :lol

50C6A810-5271-4D9A-B02C-E8272811EC0D.jpeg

I don't know. Did we all see a tape-masked Riddler in that trailer... or was it dark lighting on a gimp mask after all?

Yeah I think all of us assumed it was tape, but it was some type of bag like mask...to hide his identity and maybe DNA? Perhaps Reeves is going for the Zodiac killer?

awBG5MR_700b.jpg

So, that's the Riddler.... Huh :dunno

This is definitely looking to be another movie I add to my "Comic Book Movies I Will Never Watch" list... :slap

:lol

You will watch it...dont fool yourself.
What else would you moan about if you didnt ....Oh DC is bad Wanda Vision good.

You will watch it...dont fool yourself.
What else would you moan about if you didnt ....Oh DC is bad Wanda Vision good.

Ummmmm, No, I won't.

Haven't seen Joker either.

It's not my fault WB has no good concepts when it comes to their DC properties. They are clueless.

And, yeah. I have marvel pics, so I must be an MCU fanboy... I should have a signature with what I like.

The one thing they had going was an inventive take of the Riddler -- now a serial-killer style trickster.

But it looks like they've ruined that now too. S&M Riddler is not threatening. It will take some amazing direction to get past these mediocre designs.

I wonder if they can pull it off... or if this is destined to become the new Halle Berry Catwoman?

It looks like another failure of the "middle way" approach. We want a comic book movie but we want it 'grounded'. It's a guy in a cape with bat ears, lean into the magical realism! Instead they give us Catwoman in a kitty ski mask and jacket from H&M, a guy with a vinyl haz-mat bag on his head and Batman wearing plastic hockey pads.

At some point maybe just own it and figure out a way to make the costumes work instead of diluting the costumes until they suck?

I'm still holding out hope that the film will transcend these crap designs and be entertaining, but I wouldn't want any of this on my shelf.

You guys should know by now that you were never gonna see Riddler in that classic Frank Gorshin/Jim Carrey costume with the spandex, bowler, suit jacket, tie, etc. ever again. Same deal with Catwoman. They?re never just going to throw her in a catsuit.

I remember in 2004/2005 when Scarecrow was revealed and it was just some dude in a business suit with a potato bag over his head. I was like ?wtf is this?.

A61AB529-08E9-4EFB-AC3F-691CE20A08C8.jpg

That was the start of these lame ?grounded take? designs.

Last time I was wowed by a DC film villain design was with the Joker in The Dark Knight. That was the last great one IMO. I remember expecting some real world BS, but to my surprise, they actually had fun with it and went all out. Couldn?t believe they actually let him have green hair, the purple suit, etc. It was awesome.

Remember seeing this and thinking,

254123C4-9EB1-426B-9C0D-85404FECFE53.jpeg

Oh, that?s not too far from the 60s look.

All the villains since then have sucked visually, they don?t have fun with them.

But yeah, Riddler was cooler when I thought that was tape wrap like the invisible man. The gimp thing is just weird.

Nolan Scarecrow was a real disappointment, part of the reason I find BB a bore. TDK is a masterpiece as far as reinventing the Joker. Its what everyone should think of when they suggest a reboot of something. They should invest as much time and thought into it as Nolan and Ledger did (and anyone else who worked on it, writer, designers, etc).

Clearly that time was not wisely spent on Nolan's Bane and Catwoman. Both very rudimentary and obvious sketches without much thought. But as I said, his Scarecrow shows where his talents truly lay... in the Joker, he got very lucky with Ledger, and also I believe there were some other people influencing designs that helped turn Joker into the icon that he is. Clearly it is not easy to do.

I don't know why I ever expected this movie to be something special. It has no one attached that guarantees it will be good. And now the let-down with the Riddler. For a time there, it looked like we might have the next great re-invented Batman Villain... but it just can't happened in a gimp mask no matter how good Dano might be.

At this point, I go into this movie already disappointed.

Personally I don't have a problem with "realistic" ie Tacticool designs. When it fits, anyhow. The problem is that these "realistic" designs aren't Tacticool, they're just "lmao, it's like, an actual person's, like, wardrobe and whatever" trash. It's not even realistic in any practical sense. Have these people ever worn real leather? It's not exactly the most stretchy material. But instead of embracing how campy all these things are, we get "dood, it's, like, da Zodiac and it's seriouz". I have no problem with a "down to Earth" Batman. But you need a heightened sense of magical realism, you need an aesthetic. And these are not aesthetic at all. I've seen fanmade projects that look better.

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't need Cyclops in his yellow undies and Jean in her skirt and whateve the Hell that mask was. But if I'm getting "realistic" designs, I want something aesthetic, distinct and personalized, like either the Ultimate or Morrison suits. If I'm getting Fincher/Refn-Copy Batman, then I want a set and unique "look" and "feel" throughout the world. None of this is realistic. Batman would've broken his knees some months into it. He wouldn't be able to carry the armour and do parkour. And that's not even getting into him being enough of a physical and mental specimen to have the potential to even do those things. Just have fun with the property. It's not a hard concept, but those Hollywood people sure struggle with it. There's already fanart though...

nwsd6l93pej51.jpg

Dano will still deliver a great performance, I think, and I get that this isn't that kind of Riddler, but I was expecting more "flair" out of it all. Honestly, Catwoman's the one I dislike the most. Her design is just lazy. Riddler I can deal with, and Batman I genuinely like. Pattinson's jaw and cheecks with the added weird bulb-like cowl make him look like a creepy, gaunt, skeleton. It's the gauntlets that don't do it for me.

Honestly, what gets me is everyone tying to just make a crime drama with capes, and it just doesn't work. It'd work with Punisher, some Rorschach spinoff or whatever. But for Batman you need that underlying craziness to it all. You need something more than just another "dark" crime hook.

I've no problem with the look of the movie and characters so far.
I prefer this over green spandex...
But I do agree that not enough thought goes into these things. You either go all out comic-book camp like Schumacher, or you put some real thought into it. In that respect, I think Snyder's versions of the costumes are probably among the best in delivering a good balance between "practicality" and "aesthetics".

In any case, the mask does look creepy.

I?m surprised so many people thought it was tape on his face?

It?s always looked like a highly stylized US military extreme cold weather mask. Probably military surplus, just like his jacket looks like.

Back