The Avengers: The Motion Picture Discussion Thread- Open SPOILERS -enter at own risk!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Avengers: The Motion Picture Discussion Thread

Just seen this one in IMAX 3D a few hours. Man, I can't tell you how impressive I am with this movie. It's really one of the best (action / group) movies I've ever seen. My highlight: the group dynamics (very clever and snappy dialogues from Whedon). And Mark Ruffalo and Tom Hiddleston (he owns the movie) play really well. Can't wait for the HT Loki figure.

This movie is the one to beat this summer. I can't imagine how Prometheus and the Dark Knight Rises can top this. Everybody see this movie now!

Watching this has only reinforced my view that this and TDKR are absolute worlds apart in the types of movie they aim to be.

The Avengers is the best movie of it's type you could hope to see. DC have close to a decade of catching up to do to match anything like this.

TDKR is completely different animal and I hope for it to be the best of its kind as well, which I believe it will be

Not what they said. What they said was that there wasn't a Hulk film planned and that they realize after the last two failures that they need to be extremely careful with how he's portrayed in the movies. There was definitely a door left open for a Hulk picture. Just nothing on the table as of yet.

I'm sure that people loving Ruffalo's Hulk will burst that door open again but the last that was spoken had any possible Hulk movie down on the totem even after an Avengers sequel. For a while we might have the Hulk fix handled in the Avengers films.

I'm liking the idea of a new Hulk TV Series, i think the character suits the format of an ongoing serial, due the fact that Banner is always on the run It worked before, it can work again. Like a huge, angry, green Lassie.

They've said that a Hulk TV Series wouldn't connect into the film series at all and who knows if Ruffalo would even do it. I have a feeling that if enough people love the Hulk once it fully opens that you'll see the show kind of sliding backwards in favor of another box office romp.

Not sure. The budget on a CG Hulk, the budget needed for practical effects for Hulk damage, etc., would be far too expensive. Ferrigno as Hulk worked in the 70's/80's. Now that they have a CG Hulk, for the show to remotely fly, it'd be far too expensive. And I don't think anybody wants a repeat of the 70's/80's show where it's 90% Banner and 10% Hulk. The lackluster reception of both the individual movies proved everybody's tired of that. People wanna see Hulk smash and that costs $$$$$$.

I have a feeling you'd get the "Smallville" treatment where it's a lot of shadows and implied appearance with Banner taking the forefront with occassional CGI Hulk appearances and that isn't going to really do it for a lot of fans of The Hulk or people who walk out of The Avengers liking this.

I'm sure that people loving Ruffalo's Hulk will burst that door open again but the last that was spoken had any possible Hulk movie down on the totem even after an Avengers sequel. For a while we might have the Hulk fix handled in the Avengers films.

Leaving Hulk to Avengers films would be a very very smart move. You will see why after you watch the film.

just got back from watching the avengers. and i've gotta say, my concerns over the film have been allayed. mostly.

first up, this is one heck of a feat that joss whedon has pulled off, interweaving all the characters into one cohesive, coherent story. so kudos to him for that gargantuan juggling act.

and the humour is hands down the film's best attribute and its secret weapon. no matter how many times you guys may hear about how funny the movie is, trust me, you will be unprepared for some of the moments here. it's almost shocking how explosively and unexpectedly hilarious it can be. i'm talking both verbal witticisms as well as physical comedy.

as many forum members have said, hulk is the show stopper. now, i think marvel's decision to not proceed with any more standalone hulk films (if that is indeed their final choice), is a smart one. this is how hulk should be used. sparingly, in small doses. that way, he is a much more potent force for entertainment and impact --- literally and figuratively speaking.

and now my issues with the film. yes, the avengers is not a perfect movie. and i'm not nitpicking either. the problems i have with it are broad and extensive enough to matter. the first act is kind of weak. i won't go into too much detail but i will say that it's simply exposition overload. it's a testament to whedon's skill for dialogue that he manages to condense what is essentially reams and reams of setup and establishment. in lesser hands , the first act would've been a mess and a total bore, so this isn't a fatal flaw. but still, the film does begin to strain under all that talky stuff.

and then, there is the fear i've had over the handling of loki's character. what i loved so much in thor was that he was never quite a black & white villain. in fact, i never saw him as a villain per se, just a misguided, jealous, tormented brother and son. here however, loki is painted pretty much as a straight-laced villain, whose ambitions are pretty cut & dried. and i found that to be a step backwards from all they'd established before. there is still that sense of sibling resentment and petty vengefulness, but here he seemed to me like a regression. but i suppose in the larger scheme of things, it was simply more practical and expedient to use loki as the big bad. so i can kind of grudgingly accept what they did to the character. besides, tom hiddleston is excellent as usual, so he does imbue some beautifully subtle shades of gray probably not on the page.

and yes, everything (good) you've heard about the spectacular 3rd act showdown is true. it's a balls-out feast of action, well-staged and very well-played out.

that's my two cents. overall, my issues with it weren't major enough to spoil my enjoyment of it. the avengers is one of the best, if not the best, superhero films out there. your move, nolan...

(oh, and this is my 2000th post, so i thought i'd make it count.) :D

just got back from watching the avengers. and i've gotta say, my concerns over the film have been allayed. mostly.

first up, this is one heck of a feat that joss whedon has pulled off, interweaving all the characters into one cohesive, coherent story. so kudos to him for that gargantuan juggling act.

and the humour is hands down the film's best attribute and its secret weapon. no matter how many times you guys may hear about how funny the movie is, trust me, you will be unprepared for some of the moments here. it's almost shocking how explosively and unexpectedly hilarious it can be. i'm talking both verbal witticisms as well as physical comedy.

as many forum members have said, hulk is the show stopper. now, i think marvel's decision to not proceed with any more standalone hulk films (if that is indeed their final choice), is a smart one. this is how hulk should be used. sparingly, in small doses. that way, he is a much more potent force for entertainment and impact --- literally and figuratively speaking.

and now my issues with the film. yes, the avengers is not a perfect movie. and i'm not nitpicking either. the problems i have with it are broad and extensive enough to matter. the first act is kind of weak. i won't go into too much detail but i will say that it's simply exposition overload. it's a testament to whedon's skill for dialogue that he manages to condense what is essentially reams and reams of setup and establishment. in lesser hands , the first act would've been a mess and a total bore, so this isn't a fatal flaw. but still, the film does begin to strain under all that talky stuff.

and then, there is the fear i've had over the handling of loki's character. what i loved so much in thor was that he was never quite a black & white villain. in fact, i never saw him as a villain per se, just a misguided, jealous, tormented brother and son. here however, loki is painted pretty much as a straight-laced villain, whose ambitions are pretty cut & dried. and i found that to be a step backwards from all they'd established before. there is still that sense of sibling resentment and petty vengefulness, but here he seemed to me like a regression. but i suppose in the larger scheme of things, it was simply more practical and expedient to use loki as the big bad. so i can kind of grudgingly accept what they did to the character. besides, tom hiddleston is excellent as usual, so he does imbue some beautifully subtle shades of gray probably not on the page.

and yes, everything (good) you've heard about the spectacular 3rd act showdown is true. it's a balls-out feast of action, well-staged and very well-played out.

that's my two cents. overall, my issues with it weren't major enough to spoil my enjoyment of it. the avengers is one of the best, if not the best, superhero films out there. your move, nolan...

(oh, and this is my 2000th post, so i thought i'd make it count.) :D

Great opinion, gotta give you that.
You´re right with Loki...absolutely...but it doesn´t weigh in on me much...almost zero...so...

I have the feeling that a full movie with Ruffalo With the Leader as the villain, or something like that woulödn´t work...so...building him as the party gag in there...was great...I loved what he did...every second of that.

With that said...I need help.

I just sat 1hrs behind my signature and the board won´t accept it...it´s a beautifully cut out PNG and it doesn´t work.
Any ideas?!
:monkey2

Probably been answered a million times but was this shot in IMAX ?.
Also was it converted to 3D of filmed ?. For anyone that's watched this in 3d did it work well ?.

Probably been answered a million times but was this shot in IMAX ?.
Also was it converted to 3D of filmed ?. For anyone that's watched this in 3d did it work well ?.

Not shot in IMAX.

And post converted to 3D.

The 3D didn't add anything for me - I saw it in IMAX 3D. Would have preferred to see it in IMAX 2D but no option :slap

Could've done with the added brightness

Don't think it was shot in IMAX and the 3D for me was poor. Its a shame IMAX will only show it in 3D.

Not shot in IMAX.

And post converted to 3D.

The 3D didn't add anything for me - I saw it in IMAX 3D. Would have preferred to see it in IMAX 2D but no option :slap

Could've done with the added brightness

Did you see it in the of the Odeon IMAX's in london? What are they like? The new one in Crawley is fantastic.

My local Odeon isn't even showing it in IMAX which is odd. They've shown everything else I've always wanted to see and they're showing Prometheus. I suppose it'll be regular 2d then tomorrow. Thanks guys.

EDIT :

Sorry , they are showing it in IMAX 3D. Not sure which I'll see it in.

EDIT AGAIN :

No they're not. 2D it is. :lol

Did you see it in the of the Odeon IMAX's in london? What are they like? The new one in Crawley is fantastic.

Yeah I saw it in Swiss Cottage. It's not really an IMAX size screen, but its pretty huge so a good experience.

The Waterloo IMAX is FAR better though, and immerses you completely into the image, which this one did not.

The Vue Xtreme screen at Westfields is also pretty much the same size as this Swiss Cottage IMAX.

Good to know. Thanks.

We were going to go to see it at Swiss Cottage but we decided that the cost of the train fares isn't worth it. IMAX at waterloo is definitely impressive. Shame its not digital. The Crawley IMAX is a pretty impressive size and it was definitely good enough. Shame the 3D was so weak. Probably some of the most pointless 3D I've seen actually. Will see it again 2D for sure.

Back