The Avengers: The Motion Picture Discussion Thread- Open SPOILERS -enter at own risk!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Avengers: Discussion Thread

Could anyone possibly fathom a HOT TOYS CAPTAIN AMERICA?

My nuts would explode!

Marvel did a great Hulk. That convinces me that they can do any of the Marvel characters justice in a movie. Even characters like Speedball, Dazzler...and Ant-Man.

I am all for an Ant-Man movie. But I think I would like to see something like a Henry Pym movie with a little Ant-Man and a little Giant Man thrown in.

Here is rumor that is going around that states that Cap's cameo wasn't included because they aren't using The Incredible Hulk to introduce Cap but that he had already been found by this point. Here is the picture evidence that Leterrier is referencing as well.

The good news is that so much fuss has been raised about this scene that Louis and the studio are gonna be releasing it on the Intrawebs any day now. No need to wait for the DVD extras for this one!

But what about Monsieur Leterrier’s insistence that the person of Captain America still makes a cameo appearance in the Hulk movie as released? That’s an easy one, pilgrims! If you carefully watch the scene in which General Ross enters the cryogenic chamber to fetch up a dose of Professor Rienstien’s Super Soldier serum, you’ll note that to the right is a mortuary cold chamber door. Guess who’s on the slab in there? Well it’s not Aunt May, Tiger. So there you go, True Believers! Another mystery solved, another magnificent Marvel milestone un-maligned! No need to thank me. Keeping the Faith is what I do!

Hulk_cap_cameo.jpg

Some stuff from Leterrier as of July 21st:

"The Incredible Hulk" has still yet to open in certain countries, including France where director Louis Leterrier is currently doing a promo tour for the superhero flick.

'Matthieu' was in attendance at a screening in Saint Quentin-en-Yvelines last week and filed this report of what went down at the Q&A session afterwards:

"Regarding the sequel, he does not think there would be one, as the movie was not a huge success at the box office, and because he thought you could not tell the same story of "Hulk's anger management issues" too many times. But he's sure that Hulk will make a comeback in the Avengers movie, even if Edward Norton is definitely not contractually bound to do it.

Regarding the existence of a director's cut of the movie, he said he was happy with the current movie and that the 40 minutes of deleted scenes will not be included directly in the movie (but he did not rule this out completely as he later talked about the possibility of seeing all of the scenes in seamless branching). More interesting was the fact that two main scenes had been cut from the movie:

- The first one happens in the beginning of the movie, in Antarctica, where we see Edward Norton trying to kill himself with a gun. This was cut due to the "R" status of this scene. When I mentioned the rumours that Captain America was supposed to have a cameo in this scene, he replied that this was just more a glimpse of his presence than a real cameo itself.

- The second one, with a clock time of 20 minutes, involves Ty Burrell's character, and happens in Liv Tyler's house, where Dr. Lennord Samson tries to understand the duality of Bruce Banner's psychology. This scene was cut because it dragged down/slowed down the movie too much.

Finally, he told us that, as a Frenchman, he could not understand why Marvel was making "Captain America", until he was shown details of the project and became enthusiastic about it, even asking if he could direct it, but Marvel refused. He said he could not tell us which director or main actor were involved, but it seemed these were settled issues."

From Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios:

Dr. Doom won't be in the Avengers movie since he's part of the 20th Century Fox contract with Marvel, though he couldn't say whether he might be in future "Avengers" sequel. (Of course, this all depends on whether Marvel ever gets those characters back from Fox.)

Also:

Feige also affirmed that The Incredible Hulk lived up to their expectations and the response from the audience was generally good, and he said that the Hulk will certainly return.

Seems kinda relevant to this thread. Mark Millar will be writing a major upcoming Ultimate universe book. Some of what he says in this interview has me stoked...

NRAMA: What's the scope of the project you're coming back to work on?

MM: It's the biggest, most ambitious Ultimate project so far and even ties in with what Zak Penn is doing on The Avengers movie. He and I have been talking about this because he and Kevin [Feige] and the guys have always said they're essentially doing the Ultimates, right down to Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. This thing is mega and anyone with even an iota of interest in the movies of the comics will be creaming their pants when they see what's planned here. This is my one and only Marvel project between the current stuff and 2010 so I'm putting everything into it. Everything else I'm doing next year is creator-owned from Kick-Ass 2 to Olympus with Bryan Hitch and all the new stuff you don't know about yet.

NRAMA: Any teases of some of the characters you'll be using?

MM: Ultimate Cap, Ultimate Iron Man, Ultimate Blade, Ultimate Punisher, Ultimate Ghost Rider, Ultimate Spidey. You won't believe what I have planned here and this just touches on what's coming up

NRAMA: Finally, and to give you one last chance for a vague-ish but exuberant tease, is the artist someone you've worked with before?

MM: No, but I've dreamed about it. He's probably the biggest artist in the industry. This guy is a superstar and Marvel is really stepping up to the plate with this revamp. It's exciting times.

Even tho I grew up reading Marvel, for some reason the Ultimate and Movie universes appeal to me more so than the 616 stuff these past few years.

Oooh, cool. I like the Ultimate Universe because I was able to get in on the ground floor. The 616 universe is so daunting, even though I find myself getting more and more in to it, I just feel like there's alot I'm still missing.

Wonder who will be the villian, since they can't use Doom...Ultron, perhaps? Red Skull? Kleiser from Ultimates, or is that to much?

Avengers Rumor
Posted at 2:53 PM Oct 10, 2008

• The biggest news is the rumor that the foe in the Avengers movie will actually be the Hulk, according to the screenwriters of Iron Man 2. This makes a great deal of sense to me, as the Avengers fought the Hulk in their first issue (despite him being a founding member), and it worked out great for the first half of The Ultimates as well—I don't know why anyone would change that. But I very much hope that, like The Ultimates, they fight the Hulk in the first half, and fight a real villain in the second. I think it'd be kind of lame if they only fought the Hulk, since it's not like either of them would actually lose. The Avengers are badass enough to fight real big bad guys—the Hulk would be a great appetizer, but don't skip the main course.

Fighting Hulk would be cool. I always thought he was better as a reluctant instinct driven bad guy.

Great news!

https://www.aintitcool.com/node/38902

Jon Favreau officially Directing IRON MAN & Producing THE AVENGERS - & Don Cheadle is stepping in for Terrence Howard!

Hey folks, Harry here - The other day I was reading the New York Times - and came across a paragraph that gave me pause. They were talking about Obama's closing speech in Ohio - that he gave yesterday, and how Obama's chief speechwriter Jon Favreau was hard at work crafting it. Now, I realize there's probably many different Jon Favreau's of the world, but then I thought - well Orson Welles worked with FDR... It is possible. But I wrote Jon to see if he was moonlighting as the best speech writer in politics today - and he confirmed that he was in Bora Bora - and absolutely not the same Jon Favreau writing Obama's speeches.

Well - damn - I think everyone in America that wants to have a better year, should evidently change their name to Jon Favreau - cuz the geek Jon, knocked IRON MAN out of the park, just got his deal for IRON MAN 2 and is Executive Producing THE AVENGERS. And the Obama Jon - well, he's been speechifying real damn good at a word processor.

ANYWAY - here's the latest news from MARVEL. My opinion on the Cheadle/Howard switch? Well - I love both actors, but I wish continuity would have solidified. Don will be fantastic, as he always is, I just wish the switch wasn't an apparent necessity.

MARVEL STUDIOS PRODUCTION UPDATE

ROBERT DOWNEY JR. AND JON FAVREAU SUIT UP FOR MARVEL STUDIOS' THE AVENGERS AND IRON MAN 2

As part of his four picture deal with Marvel Studios, Robert Downey Jr. is appearing as Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS motion picture, as well as reprising his starring role as the larger-than-life leading character in IRON MAN 2. Jon Favreau will return to direct the sequel to the blockbuster IRON MAN, which to date has grossed over $578 million worldwide, as well as executive produce THE AVENGERS.

Academy Award® nominee Downey was most recently seen in the summer comedy blockbuster TROPIC THUNDER starring opposite Ben Stiller and Jack Black. Before Iron Man, he was best known for his film roles in KISS KISS BANG BANG, WONDER BOYS and CHAPLIN, the film for which he was nominated for an Oscar®.

In addition to directing the first IRON MAN, Favreau has previously directed ELF, ZATHURA: A SPACE ADVENTURE and MADE. He is also well known for writing and starring in SWINGERS. He will next be seen acting in FOUR CHRISTMASES, I LOVE YOU MAN and COUPLES RETREAT.

DON CHEADLE WILL STAR AS RHODEY IN IRON MAN 2

Marvel Studios is pleased today to confirm that an agreement has been finalized with award-winning actor Don Cheadle to take on the role of Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes in Marvel's IRON MAN 2 due in theaters on May 7, 2010. In casting Cheadle, Marvel replaces Terrence Howard who appeared in the role of Rhodey in IRON MAN.
Cheadle is also signed on to perform the same role in THE AVENGERS and subsequent installments of the IRON MAN franchise.

"We are very excited about working with the extraordinarily talented Don Cheadle as we expand the role of Rhodey in Iron Man 2. It has already become apparent as we prep the movie for production, that the dynamic between Robert and Don will take Iron Man 2 to new heights," said Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios.

Cheadle is best known for his Oscar® nominated lead performance in HOTEL RWANDA as well as his role as Basher Tarr in the OCEAN'S franchise, CRASH and SWORDFISH.

Based on Marvel's iconic Super Hero, IRON MAN 2 continues the story of this summer's box office blockbuster IRON MAN, the first feature film produced independently by Marvel Studios. IRON MAN 2 will be produced by Marvel Studios' President, Kevin Feige, and executive produced by Louis D'Esposito, Jon Favreau, Stan Lee, David Maisel and Denis Stewart.

In a movie event, THE AVENGERS will bring together the super hero team of Marvel Comics characters for the first time ever, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and more, as they are forced to band together to battle the biggest foe they've ever faced.

The highly anticipated sequel to IRON MAN will be released in theatres on May 7, 2010 and THE AVENGERS will be released July 15, 2011. Both films will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Cheadle is represented by UTA. Downey and Favreau are represented by CAA.

Another site confirmation:

Robert Downey Jr. and Don Cheadle have officially signed on to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers, the Marvel Studios project that will unite several of its superhero properties:

In addition to starring in "Iron Man 2," Downey has agreed to return as billionaire Tony Stark and his crime-fighting alter ego in "The Avengers" and a third "Iron Man" installment, guaranteeing the thesp a superhero-sized payday and his own ongoing franchise as part of a four-picture deal with the comicbook company.
Company confirmed that Don Cheadle will replace Terrence Howard as Col. James Rhodes in the "Iron Man" sequels. Cheadle will also appear in "The Avengers."

This should finally shoot down all those rumors that Marvel was going to cast big-name actors in several superhero film franchises, allude to their eventual merging with cross-over characters and mention of forming the Avengers team, then suddenly re-cast all the parts with actors from community theaters and failed CW shows. Phew!

Robert Downey Jr. and Don Cheadle have officially signed on to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers, the Marvel Studios project that will unite several of its superhero properties:

In addition to starring in "Iron Man 2," Downey has agreed to return as billionaire Tony Stark and his crime-fighting alter ego in "The Avengers" and a third "Iron Man" installment, guaranteeing the thesp a superhero-sized payday and his own ongoing franchise as part of a four-picture deal with the comicbook company.
Company confirmed that Don Cheadle will replace Terrence Howard as Col. James Rhodes in the "Iron Man" sequels. Cheadle will also appear in "The Avengers."

:joy :joy :joy ! ! !

In case anyone don't know who's Don Cheadle... attached is his pic. :D

He has acted in:

Ocean's Eleven (2001)
Ocean's Twelve (2004)
Ocean's Thirteen (2007)...etc

This should finally shoot down all those rumors that Marvel was going to cast big-name actors in several superhero film franchises, allude to their eventual merging with cross-over characters and mention of forming the Avengers team, then suddenly re-cast all the parts with actors from community theaters and failed CW shows. Phew!

:joy :joy :joy :joy :joy

I'm getting more and more pumped for Iron Man sequels, Thor, Cap and The Avengers everytime a new update comes up.

I'm curious to see how they pull off Thor without him looking absolutely ridiculous.

In a movie event, THE AVENGERS will bring together the super hero team of Marvel Comics characters for the first time ever, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and more, as they are forced to band together to battle the biggest foe they've ever faced.

Hmmm...let the sepeculation on who the Baddie(s) are begin.

Since Hulk is "forced to band together" with the others, it looks like an Avengers vs Hulk battle would be in the first half of the film, leaving the final battle scene open to someone else.

Loki? Maybe. But will probably have been dealt with in Thor.

Kang? Unlikely. A time travel plot would be too much for the first film.

Masters of Evil? Unlikely. Too many supervillian origins to deal with.

Red Skull? Unlikely. Probably will be dealt with in the Cap film.

Hydra? Maybe. Lots of cannon fodder for the heroes, plus the threat of a global terrorist organization for SHEILD to deal with, but ultimately not enough of a danger to warrent a group of such powerful heroes.

A.I.M.? Maybe. See above.

Ultron? Possible. I'd love to see this personally, or at least show him in the beginning phase in order to bring him in as the main villian in Avengers 2. Although he may be saved for the Antman film.

Skrulls? Most likely. Plenty of cannon fodder. Huge threat to the whole planet, warrenting the formation of the Avengers to begin with. And since it's been said multiple times that they're loosely following the plot of the Ultimates, this seems the most likely choice.

The only thing about the Skrulls is that it would be too much money, especially for the first movie. They'd have to pay for the special effects of them shape-shifting, and even the regular prosthetics to render them in their normal state. Not to mention the fact that they're aliens, so you have to deal with ships, etc.

I think you were on to something with Hydra. It's just people in uniforms. It's a little more grounded in reality. All they'd have to do is create a threat that spans the globe and separates the team. Hydra-made "natural" disasters? Cities under attack? Lots of rescues to do for the heroes!

Then part 2 could be Ultron, and part 3 could raise the stakes and finally unleash the Skrulls! They would have 2 Box Office hits to warrant the larger budget.

Back