The Avengers: The Motion Picture Discussion Thread- Open SPOILERS -enter at own risk!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Avengers: Discussion Thread

I wonder why Terrence Howard is not Rhode anymore.

Hmmm..."biggest"...Fin Fang Foom?

The only thing about the Skrulls is that it would be too much money, especially for the first movie. They'd have to pay for the special effects of them shape-shifting, and even the regular prosthetics to render them in their normal state. Not to mention the fact that they're aliens, so you have to deal with ships, etc.

True, unless they play it close to the Ultimates series and have the Skrulls/Chitari appear in their human forms during most of the scenes.

Another thought is that if they end up not doing that second Hulk film, then they could pick up the Leader with gamma mutated creatures plotline.

It's probable that no matter what they do, the film will be so anticipated and expectations will be so unrealisticly high, that unless Jesus Christ's second-coming happens on the screen, people will ^^^^^ and whine that the movie "sucked" :rolleyes:

Ultron? Possible. I'd love to see this personally, or at least show him in the beginning phase in order to bring him in as the main villian in Avengers 2. Although he may be saved for the Antman film.

This is highly possible simply because of the Hank Pym connection and the fact that Ultron gave the Avengers some of the biggest battles they've faced..

Skrulls? Most likely. Plenty of cannon fodder. Huge threat to the whole planet, warrenting the formation of the Avengers to begin with. And since it's been said multiple times that they're loosely following the plot of the Ultimates, this seems the most likely choice.

The Skrulls would be easy because you'd have a couple of them who'd need to shape shift to show the ability then you could keep the rest in one form or the other for the majority of the film. Not to mention it'd be interesting if we got some Skrull cameos of heroes that cannot be used at present time since their Skrull incarnation with green skin and ridged chin is technically outside of the realm of licensing.

Not to mention Marvel knows how an Avengers film is already set up to fail with so many high caliber characters all coming together and the kind of budget needed to do it right, this stopped any JLA big screen incarnation....so that being said I think they know this and they'll be throwing as much money at it as possible to give it a fighting chance. I wouldn't hold funds as a reasoning why it couldn't be done.

Something else, and this is way in advance to be thinking about, but I wonder if Fox will try to swipe The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver for their X stuff (they are Magneto's kids). Or if Marvel will keep them for any future Avengers films. Obviously I'd rather they be put in the Avengers films, since they are more important to the Avengers mythos.

It will depend on whether or not they were already included. Marvel said that unless the characters were already "purchased" they wouldn't be licensing out any more of their characters. I have a feeling they weren't since Magneto made no reference to any kind of family throughout the X-Men trilogy.

I think we all know what this movie needs...

2008-08-05-americangladiator.jpg

The guy is an American Gladiator :rotfl

He definately looks the part but can he act? The new wave of comic adapted movies is to get real actors RDJ, Bale and Norton.

Steve R is a skinny fellow until the super soldier formula then he blows up. A solid actor can play the part and digitally re-make him into Cap.

Talks with Samuel L. Jackson have broken down--sounds like Marvel is being stingy.

Maybe they will replace him with Terrence Howard...

See my post in the Iron Man 2 thread.

I'm still pulling for Vladimir Kulich for Thor. ( Kulich IMDB page)

Brad Pitt can be the puny Dr. Donald Blake, but there should be two actors playing the different rolls.

Just reading this now (where have I been????) and I'd have to agree. He was great in The 13th Warrior and he definitely conveys a nobility (and his voice would rock as well with that accent).

Article by Brian Kronner
'Avengers' Movie to Make Marvel Cohesive?

Marvel’s head of marketing Doug Finberg was in Burbank Wednesday to accept Saturn Award on behalf of Iron Man, which won for BEST SCI-FI MOVIE.

Finberg confirmed the working title of the Captain America film is The First Avenger: Captain America. It will both introduce Cap and lead into the concept of The Avengers. The Avenger movie will then have to link Cap not only to the upcoming Thor movie, but also both Iron Man projects.

Avengers screenwriter Zak Penn told an audience at the L.A. Film Festival this week that he is running around between Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America production offices to make sure his script coordinates with the introduction of key superheroes. Thank God. It’s good to see they are double checking things to make sure everything fits together.

That gives us only 3 of the founding members, meaning that the Hulk could be included as well. Also Penn could introduce new supporting superheroes in the Avengers film itself. IE: Wasp, Ant Man, Hawkeye, ect.

After some contractual hiccups, Samuel L. Jackson signed on to continue playing Nick Fury in the Marvel films. Expect him to play a major role in the upcoming films as we’ve already seen him approach Tony Stark about the team.

Penn has a task ahead of him since Kenneth Branagh is heading up Thor, and is sure to have a unique style for the character. Penn will have to meld the character Branagh creates there with Downey’s Stark and whomever they get to play the Cap. As if those 3 wont demand enough screen-time he’ll also have Fury, whichever other character they introduce, and a villain who will have to be developed. To do it right, this movie is going to have to push 3 hours I think…

While I admittedly was never a big reader of the Avenger comics, I am extremely excited for this movie because of what it represents. It’s a step away from FOX and Joel Schumacher. It’s a step towards doing things the right way.

Iron Man 2 is due out May 7, 2010. Thor is next, on May 20, 2011. Then Captain America on July 22, 2011, and The Avengers on May 4, 2012.

Marvel Prez Leaks Avengers Movie Details
By Graeme McMillan, 7:00 AM on Sun Aug 23 2009

It's still three years away, but that isn't stopping Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige from dropping hints about who and what to expect from the big superhero mash-up movie The Avengers when it eventually comes out.

Talking to Comic Book Resources, Feige admitted that Samuel L. Jackson's nine movie deal with Marvel is indeed a clue as to how the Avengers are going to get toegther:

At the end of the first [Iron Man], for the people who were patient enough to wait through the end credits, they met this guy named Nick Fury. They or Tony had no idea who he was. In this movie, he opens that door a little bit more for Tony and invites him to walk through it. Tony may or may not do that in this movie. But Nick Fury is the conduit through which all the characters will connect.

When asked whether the Hulk would feature in the Avengers movie, Feige replied,

I think so. In the comics, he has.

Another character we can expect to see in Avengers is Scarlett Johannsen's Black Widow; Feige was asked whether fans could expect to see her in that movie or her own spin-off, and he said,

She's signed on for all of those should we be lucky enough to have an audience that wants to see them.

So now we know at least six characters who'll be appearing in the movie: Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Nick Fury and Black Widow. Given that Iron Man 2 is also introducing well-known Avengers character Hawkeye, it's a fair bet to assume he'll be a seventh... and we have a line-up that should be very familiar not only to fans of Marvel's early Avengers comics, but also Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch's Ultimates rebooted version. With Avengers screenwriter Zak Penn having previously said that Ultimates was a big influence on how he approaches this material, is it too early to assume that the first Avengers movie will be an adaptation of that particular series?

Wow, that could be alot of heroes in one movie. I wonder if it may be too many.

who's playing Captain America!?...I hope it's not that guy from Supernatural!
onion_msn_smilies-04.gif

So now we know at least six characters who'll be appearing in the movie: Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Nick Fury and Black Widow. Given that Iron Man 2 is also introducing well-known Avengers character Hawkeye, it's a fair bet to assume he'll be a seventh...

IM2 is introducing Hawkeye, eh? Sweet! :rock :rock :rock

???....That's the first I'm hearing of Hawkeye being in this.....???

Exclusive: Jeremy Renner Talks Hawkeye!
Source:Edward Douglas November 30, 2009

jeremyrenner669201.jpg

We just got back from the Independent Film Gotham Awards where Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker won awards for Best Ensemble Performance and for Best Feature, putting it well into the running for Best Picture at the Oscars. It was a wild and crazy night, but we couldn't leave without getting a few moments in with one of the film's stars, Jeremy Renner, who was all over the internet this weekend when Empire magazine broke the news that he has had talks about possibly playing the role of Hawkeye in Marvel Studios' The Avengers movie.

Anyone who has seen The Hurt Locker knows how great Renner is as a hotshot bomb expert in Iraq, exemplifying the perfect attitude to bring to the Avengers' hotshot archery expert Hawkeye. The first thing we wanted to know was whether there'd been any more news since doing that interview with Empire. "I haven't heard anything since I talked to them three weeks ago," he admitted. "The last I knew is that they still have to find their director for 'The Avengers,' that's where he's really going to show up. They were just talking, 'Like maybe we should consider maybe hiring Hawkeye now' but there's no director on 'Avengers' so they don't really want to force-feed the director, 'Here's the whole cast.' It's a big role so they didn't want to do that to the director, so I think they might wait. I know they're interested, I'm interested, so we'll see if it works out."

We told him how excited SuperHeroHype readers--at least the ones who've seen The Hurt Locker--were about his possible casting in the role, and how hopefully those who haven't seen the movie will try and check it out. "They sold me on the idea, too, because I love the idea that Hawkeye's really not a superhero," Jeremy told us. "He's just a man with a high skill set, so I can relate to (that). The Marvel guys are great for how they made Iron Man to be, 'Oh, that's actually plausible' so I bought it and I love that. They're really, really smart guys and I'd love to work for 'em, and we'll see if it works out."

When we asked him if he's started reading up on his Hawkeye comic book history just in case he gets the role, he gave us a possible hint of what the character might look like in the movie compared to the comics: "Yeah, but it's going to be modernized, it's not going to be the guy with the big purple (mask), it's not going to be a guy in tights. It's going to be a guy in sunglasses and a vest. He's going to be more modernized and I'm gonna say, 'A cooler-looking version' and not the big weird costume he had on. I don't think they're going that route."

So while some people keep busy rooting for Jeremy's Oscar chances, let's all of us here at SuperHeroHype keep rooting for his Hawkeye chances!

Back