The Avengers- Earth's Mightiest Heroes Animated Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched this show and thought it was really cool. I accidentally watched them in reverse order however. I thought it was pretty great that Lance Henriksen did a voice for the show and when I heard him I immediately thought, "Hey, it's Bishop!". I didn't really hear any kind of hillbilly, Larry the Cable Guy vibe from Iron Man's voice. It pretty much sounded like a guy trying to impersonate Robert Downey, Jr. to me.

I'll be looking forward to watching this show more often. It'd be great if they did the Captain America beating the crap out of Giant Man for abusing Wasp storyline from Ultimates, but I don't see that happening anytime on Disney XD.

I've been watching this show since the premier and I like it. I love the story and characters, I'm hoping Hulk rejoins, but I like the animation for Superhero Squad much better. I like the character design much better for Superhero Squad. Avengers seems to be setting up some big end of season story arch. The writing is great.

Karamazov, you deleted you post. I was born in 1985, so I'm more of a child of the 90s and read comics from that era into the 2000s, so I don't have as much familiarity with the classics from the 70s and 80s, although I wish I did. Perhaps I'll pick up some of those collections the next time I go the a comic con. I've been out of the comic reading hobby for awhile now other than The Walking Dead.

Yeah, I deleted it because I didn't mean to imply that you weren't familiar with the older Avengers stories :peace

But yeah, the YellowJacket abuse of Wasp was originally from the 616 Universe and was one of the more memorable Avengers moments from that era. I've recently been reading some of the earlier Avengers stuff from the late-60s/early-70s, and it is quite fun stuff for the most part. If you can pick up the Masterworks or cheap black and white reprints, you probably won't regret it. Personally, I think much of that stuff blows away some of the more "sophisticated," "post-modern" stuff that gets pumped out nowadays.

Yeah, I deleted it because I didn't mean to imply that you weren't familiar with the older Avengers stories :peace

But yeah, the YellowJacket abuse of Wasp was originally from the 616 Universe and was one of the more memorable Avengers moments from that era. I've recently been reading some of the earlier Avengers stuff from the late-60s/early-70s, and it is quite fun stuff for the most part. If you can pick up the Masterworks or cheap black and white reprints, you probably won't regret it. Personally, I think much of that stuff blows away some of the more "sophisticated," "post-modern" stuff that gets pumped out nowadays.

No problem. I'll be sure to check it out. I'll be going the C2E2 comic convention in March, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for some of those masterworks that you mentioned. A lot of the booths have pretty good deals on trades and such, so I'll try to pick up some of the stuff from the 60s/70s.

The very earliest issues of Avengers are actually really funny and bizarre. Way ahead of their time, and far, far, far better than what DC was producing at the time.

The storylines with Cap's thawing, Zemo, Enchantress and Executioner, and Black Widow's "betrayal" (to name a few) are all early Avengers stuff that I'm glad to see in the new cartoon.

You're right on the money there. You are getting Marvel stories here that have never been in any other form then the comics. It's about time the great Avengers stories of the past are getting their due.
It's about time, there have been like 3 X-Men shows and multiple Fantastic Four shows and they've had their best sagas on the little screen but really nothing for the Avengers except that aweful show from the late 90's.

The very earliest issues of Avengers are actually really funny and bizarre. Way ahead of their time, and far, far, far better than what DC was producing at the time.

This is cool to hear. During a great deal of my time reading comics, DC was way better than Marvel in a lot of ways. In fact, about the time that I got out of reading, the only comics from Marvel that I really enjoyed were some of the Ultimates storylines and Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men. It would be cool to read some of these Avengers stories that are bizarre and humorous. I need to earn the right to own my classic Thor PF.

From the late-70s on, I would say that both companies have had periods where they bested the other, and both have had some great writers and artists working. It is hard to overstate how revolutionary Stan Lee was on the industry, though, and you see it if you read an early Justice League comic and compare it to an early Avengers comic. He is single-handedly responsible for comics being what they are today, in my opinion. If they all stayed as formulaic and tiresome as what DC was pumping out before Marvel came along, I doubt seriously that comics would have remained a viable force through that decade and would have influenced generations as they have since then.

The early Spiderman, X-Men, and Fantastic Four comics were also very good (though it is a bit creepy seeing old man Professor X fawning over his high school student Jean Grey :lol ).

Man, you've really got me excited about these comics. You'll definitely have to give me a few tips on some of your favorites to pick up before I go to the convention.

I want to give these stories a try and get some exposure to the classics even though my love for Venom and leather jacket, utility belt wearing X-Men from the '90s is something that will always be a part of me.

Now I want to buy a new Marvel PF. I'd love to have Captain America if he wasn't so damn expensive.

Of course, this is just my opinion and you might completely disagree once you read them, but I only started discovering the classic stuff a couple years ago and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

I've grown up with the characters one way or another since I was a kid so I think it'll be cool to read the older stuff. Heck, I can still remember how excited me and my brother were when we found the very first X-Men toys put out by Toy Biz at the local mall that's long since closed down. I got brown wolverine with the pop out claws and he got the Nightcrawler with the sticky hands. That was a cool day.

They certainly have, but back then they were freaking amazing. I had the Magneto with the little magnetic pieces that would stick to his chest and hands and I thought he rocked the house.

The Venom I had came with this spider shaped squirt bottle that shot black goo out of his chest. Pretty weird.

eIp0.jpg

Back