The Apple thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it took almost 3 hours to update my wife's iPhone 4S OTA (over the air - WiFi), matching Dino's time pretty closely. A lot longer for every stage than doing it with a cabled device via iTunes. The download took a long time, then the uncompressing and preparing, then the installing and reboots. The phone was still completely usable during the download and uncompressing/prep phases, but I wouldn't recommend OTA for the full OS unless you know you're not going to need your iPhone for a few hours, just to be safe.

Anyone try out any of the new third party keyboards or widgets?

Last edited:
Yeah, not having access to my phone for three hours wasn't a biggie as I had other things I needed to get and care of.

RE my phone's storage, I have my entire music library and whole bunch of photos and numerous apps that my kids play with. I could stand to clean it up and delete unnecessary stuff.

I can't wait until my phone arrives tomorrow so that I can give it and ios8 a spin. This iPhone 4 gets retired ASAP! It's new assignment will be that of video camera to monitor my son in his crib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats man (for the new phone and the baby LOL) from another VA resident (I'm in NOVA). Would have loved to upgrade for me and my wife but I've been out of work since June, and putting food on the table for my kids is more of a priority. Looks like I'll be staying with the 5 for the foreseeable future.

So, apple didn't apply my giftcards and billed my CC the full $400+ tax....

Called them this morning, they reimbursed the difference and applied the GC and also gave me a free (overpriced) leather case (apple branded) for my iPhone 6.

Never asked for it. I was truly amazed by the level of professionalism of the CSR. Not just for the freebie (that happens to be a very nice gesture).

Congrats man (for the new phone and the baby LOL) from another VA resident (I'm in NOVA). Would have loved to upgrade for me and my wife but I've been out of work since June, and putting food on the table for my kids is more of a priority. Looks like I'll be staying with the 5 for the foreseeable future.

Hey.. thanks man. You definitely have to keep your priorities in order. At least the 5 is still a nice, fast phone and it can run ios8. ios8 will breathe some new life into it. I had the 5 but because of that priority non-sense (lol) I sold it to take care of some bills and went back to the iphone 4 that I had sitting around. Cant wait to dump this thing lol

So, apple didn't apply my giftcards and billed my CC the full $400+ tax....

Called them this morning, they reimbursed the difference and applied the GC and also gave me a free (overpriced) leather case (apple branded) for my iPhone 6.

Never asked for it. I was truly amazed by the level of professionalism of the CSR. Not just for the freebie (that happens to be a very nice gesture).

Hooray for free ****!!

The iPhone 4 is such a classic design that I won't sell it when I move to a new phone. I'd really like to grab a couple of old Newtons and an original 2007 iPhone to mount together in a window-box frame.

Last edited:
I can't wait until my phone arrives tomorrow so that I can give it and ios8 a spin. This iPhone 4 gets retired ASAP! It's new assignment will be that of video camera to monitor my son in his crib.

Looking forward to coming home to mess with it and see the changes up close. I don't have anything to review but I may have to drag something out and do one anyway give the improved camera a try.

The iPhone 4 is such a classic design that I won't sell it when I move to a new phone. I'd really like to grab a couple of old Newtons and an original 2007 iPhone to mount together in a window-box frame.

Its kinda heavy though for current standard.

Im using 4s and 5s right now, and after seeing the iphone 6, I dont think its the phone for me due to the size. I prefer my phone as compact and as light as possible. I hardly find the motivation to buy a new phone, even though I do like the new tech that comes with it. All my iphones are a gift from my wife, reason she got me a 5s was because the wifi feature on my 4s broke last year. The last phone I bought was 2010, a blackberry which I still use till this day. :lol

I dl ios 8 last night for both of my iphones, as Im in the middle of the dl, I saw an article that says ios8 for the 4s isnt recommended as the hardware cant support it. But this morning when I tried it, it works fine. Not too much of a difference than the last software, the only feature which I think is an improvement is the texting thing. Asides that, the music title thingy, camera timer were features that were available from 3rd parties for a long time.

Download Launcher in the App Store. The greatest app for iOS8 period. You won't be sorry.

Download Launcher in the App Store. The greatest app for iOS8 period. You won't be sorry.

Im outside now, so I wont waste my bandwidth checking it on the app store until I go home and get on the wifi.

But does it work with 4s or 5s or is it strictly for iPHone 6?

I read about Launcher. I will definitely be downloading that when I get my phone tonight ..estimated delivery 8pm :-(

I'm happy to see that Apple is allowing flexibility in the widgets. Now I wish they would have left 3 pages for the notification center because people are going to flood the Today tab with widgets. There should be an additional tab just for widgets.

picking up my Iphone 6 plus in a few hours time...opted for the 64GB, strange why Apple removed their 32GB or is it just good business acumen? :dunno

Back