The absence of HT and SS from NY Comicon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine it's because SDCC is much easier for SSC to attend since they're based in California.

they gave out giftcards in 2007 when I went.. I landed a few including a 100 giftcard that I used to buy a Hellboy Struzan signed poster

Attendance at NYCC has been increasing by by nearly 20K each year for the past three or four years. This year's attendance estimate was north of 115,000.

I would expect to see SOME kind of presence in the coming years if that trend keeps up. It'll be too big to ignore.

EDIT: Especially since SDCC's attendance numbers are generally in the 130,000 range (which is max capacity for the SD convention center). NYCC is coming on strong.

Last edited:
Attendance at NYCC has been increasing by by nearly 20K each year for the past three or four years. This year's attendance estimate was north of 115,000.

I would expect to see SOME kind of presence in the coming years if that trend keeps up. It'll be too big to ignore.

I hope your right because its very frustrating that San Diego..gets the attention that NY does not. I spoke with a vendor whom also does the San Diego show and he told me that the attendance is very much similar to that of the Calif. He also thought it had to do with the travel but. again this was one vendor so...Hot Toys and sideshow if your reading this please do the courtesy of visiting our show on the east coast!!!!

I thought it was obvious. New York is not cool enough for Sideshow to bother with.

You didn't know?

:)

SSC represents the West Coast. They don't get down with the East Coast ever since they killed 2Pac, who was a sculptor at SSC. HT rolls with Sideshow. They're all crips. It's some serious gangsta **** behind all these toys. Trill talk.

SSC represents the West Coast. They don't get down with the East Coast ever since they killed 2Pac, who was a sculptor at SSC. HT rolls with Sideshow. They're all crips. It's some serious gangsta **** behind all these toys. Trill talk.
Except the only thing 2Pac ever sculpted would get blazed.

EDIT: Especially since SDCC's attendance numbers are generally in the 130,000 range (which is max capacity for the SD convention center). NYCC is coming on strong.
If you had any idea the cost for them to attend sdcc you would know why they aren't going to NY which could could cost them as much as double what they pay for sdcc. No flights, people can come down for day or two( not something your doing with that long of a flight.) only have to ship stuff couple hundred miles ect...

Your forgetting the convention center is expanding something like 40-50%

NY is a major market . They should have been there . or least have their biggest East Coast vendor representing them. cost should not be a factor since I'm sure they have funds delegated for promotional purposes . lets not forget that its not only NY residents in attendance .NY is the Capital of the World . There was vendors who attended from across the pond. iI seen Japanese TV doing interviews .

As someone who goes to sdcc there are more than 130k people there every year now.

NY is a major market . They should have been there . or least have their biggest East Coast vendor representing them. cost should not be a factor since I'm sure they have funds delegated for promotional purposes . lets not forget that its not only NY residents in attendance .NY is the Capital of the World . There was vendors who attended from across the pond. iI seen Japanese TV doing interviews .

NY is a major market but as has been said cost for them to bring their sdcc setup would cost a fortune. Yes, I'm sure they have funds for this kind of thing but it ain't cheap for them to do sdcc which is in their back yard. Maybe have a vendor use part of their booth to show off some items would be the best bet.

because sideshow makes no money and it will cost to much to set up a display come on what a croc of s##t. they are a multi million dollar business, I'm pretty sure they can spend a couple thousand dollars to show up and market their product.

It would cost Sideshow way more than just a couple thousand to setup at NYCC like they do at SDCC. One of the big reasons they probably don't go is to keep their staff focused on product development and release dates instead of marketing. They get plenty of exposure to their customer base through the weekly newsletter, online events, and SDCC.

a ton of other vendors who are not from the NY area show up for NYCC to display. SS & Hot Toys dont have to bring there entire inventory but mabey a representative or 2 and about a dozen figures to display wouldnt be that hard. a few plane tickets, a couple insured and protected boxes wouldnt be that hard to come by.

NYCC attendance is amping up though, it was so packed this year.

because sideshow makes no money and it will cost to much to set up a display come on what a croc of s##t. they are a multi million dollar business, I'm pretty sure they can spend a couple thousand dollars to show up and market their product.

Why should they when they can show off their stuff at SDCC and let the internet do the marketing for them? What does SSC gain by flying all the way to NY to show off the same stuff they already showed at SDCC?

Back