The 5 Year Anniversary of ROTS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely for me the best of the prequels. There was less bad dialogue (still there, but less), and less goofy slapstick (still there, but less). So it was more tolerable to get through to the action sequences, which were all top notch.

The whole moment where Anakin officially "turns" was terrible though. Truly a missed opportunity. And I mentioned this in another thread, but Palpatine fighting the Jedi knights that came to arrest him was horribly laughable. In the behind the scenes, the stunt coordinator had planned out an elaborate fight with the stuntmen. But the day of the shooting Lucas came in and said he wanted Ian to do the whole sequence because he wanted to focus on him. The stunt coordinator tried to insist, but of course ended up doing what he was told. He had to try and teach Ian some of the choreography and if you watch that behind the scenes, it's really painful to watch since Ian is not a spring chicken and is being asked to do all sorts of moderately complicated physical movements. In the final film, it looks like adults are playing SW with a toddler and pretend that what the toddler does really hurts them, when all the toddler does is barely move the lightsaber in their general direction. Especially the way he takes out the first 2 jedi. It's like they're just waiting to be struck. Terrible.

What is beyond stupid is that they could have totally filmed it with a stuntman with old man make-up, so it wouldn't have really mattered.

Interesting... the sequence were the Jedi's go out like a couple of punks is pretty disappointing. Makes sense that it was intended to be a more intense battle.

For some reason ROTS seemed hollow to me, I enjoy it and it has some of the best parts of the prequels, but at the same time TPM felt more like a SW movie to me than ROTS did.

But, my guess is most of us can agree that AOTC is the worst.

The whole moment where Anakin officially "turns" was terrible though. Truly a missed opportunity. And I mentioned this in another thread, but Palpatine fighting the Jedi knights that came to arrest him was horribly laughable. In the behind the scenes, the stunt coordinator had planned out an elaborate fight with the stuntmen. But the day of the shooting Lucas came in and said he wanted Ian to do the whole sequence because he wanted to focus on him. The stunt coordinator tried to insist, but of course ended up doing what he was told. He had to try and teach Ian some of the choreography and if you watch that behind the scenes, it's really painful to watch since Ian is not a spring chicken and is being asked to do all sorts of moderately complicated physical movements. In the final film, it looks like adults are playing SW with a toddler and pretend that what the toddler does really hurts them, when all the toddler does is barely move the lightsaber in their general direction. Especially the way he takes out the first 2 jedi. It's like they're just waiting to be struck. Terrible.

That scene NEVER felt right to me. That's depressing to hear that a cool fight was planned out but Lucas axed it. He really did let his success go to his head and we got a movie that wasn't as good as it could have been (well, three of them) as a result.

Interesting... the sequence were the Jedi's go out like a couple of punks is pretty disappointing. Makes sense that it was intended to be a more intense battle.

For some reason ROTS seemed hollow to me, I enjoy it and it has some of the best parts of the prequels, but at the same time TPM felt more like a SW movie to me than ROTS did.

But, my guess is most of us can agree that AOTC is the worst.

no, actually I quite like AOTC better than TPM. I really like the fight scene on Kamino, it was interesting to see Jango Fett with his son Boba... I liked Geonosis too, especially the battle at the end where the clones show up for the first time. Sure, it wasn't as good as say, ESB or ROTJ, but it's my favorite among the prequels. ROTS is a close second, and TPM is my least favorite SW movie of all time (not including the CW movie!)

Yay, let's celebrate the five year anniversary of the legacy of Star Wars being stomped into the ground.

:joy

Yesterday, I celebrated "International Star Wars Day"… by watching the best STAR WARS movie since 1983: J.J. Abrams' STAR TREK.

:lecture

Could be said for the 2009 as well as The Wrath of Kahn. Although I'd say TWOK is on par with the OT... just an awesome movie. The rest; not so much :lol

I'll agree with the "reboot" but let's not forget it's a reboot/redo of the franchise (the original wasn't so good and there was no excuse as that was post- Star Wars :lol). Someone would need to reboot/redo Star Wars (ANH) for a fair comparison. As for Wrath, I didn't like that movie. Still trying to figure out who the bigger overactor in that flick was, Ricardo or William. :lol

How can you not like TWOK? Its an awesome movie... and that's not overacting; its pure quality :lecture
:)monkey3)

And that is true about the reboot being a semi-unfair comparison. But even it has its groan moments, but the overall film is very tight. The same cannot be said for "The Motion Picture"... that movie is hard to get through :lol

And don't get me started on Generations or Final Frontier :gah:

How can you not like TWOK? Its an awesome movie... and that's not overacting; its pure quality :lecture
:)monkey3)

And that is true about the reboot being a semi-unfair comparison. But even it has its groan moments, but the overall film is very tight. The same cannot be said for "The Motion Picture"... that movie is hard to get through :lol

And don't get me started on Generations or Final Frontier :gah:

Uh.... rubber chest piece. 'nuff said. :lol

Uh.... rubber chest piece. 'nuff said. :lol

It actually wasn't a rubber chest piece like most believe. Apparently he really did keep in shape as a form of physical therapy for an injury he had. There is an article somewhere with a producer, I think, going on record about it.

"During the filming of the 1951 film, Across the Wide Missouri, Montalbán was thrown from his horse, knocked unconscious, and trampled by another horse, resulting in a painful back injury that never healed."

"Another of his well-known roles was that of Khan Noonien Singh in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, in which he reprised a role that he had originated in the 1967 episode of Star Trek titled "Space Seed". There were some questions initially as to whether Montalbán had had prosthetic muscles applied to his chest during filming of Star Trek II to make him appear more muscular; director Nicholas Meyer replied that even in his sixties Montalbán was "one strong cookie" and that his real chest was seen on film; Khan's costume was specifically designed to display Montalbán's physique. "

Last edited:
Back