testors dullcote anomaly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toomanyfigures

Freaked Out
Reaction score
so ive been using dullcote to finish most of my work all with the described desired effect but for some reason on my gentle giant obi wan bust
the dullcote actually finished with a HIGH gloss, even after two applications
i thought at first it was the resin/poly stone material or possibly whatever finish they used, reacted differently, but i already had a qui gon on deck to seal, and it worked just fine, no gloss effect at all

im adding a photo to show dullcote on koto vinyl and also the gg busts and you see how much gloss finish obi has

has anyone come into the problem or can provide a reason

DSC02331.jpg

Dullcote can be tricky sometimes. I've found that if I don't give it a really good shake before use(like for about a minute)that sometimes it'll gloss.Fortunately,my wife gets Mr SuperClear, a Japanese brand that is both thinner and more consistent in application. Unfortunately, it's also more expensive and harder to get.Guess you have pay for quality...PS

interesting about the shaking i did not consider that
mr superclear, i believe ive heard of with use on those eerie japanese dolls, ive seen some tutorials, i will try and hunt a can down to test, money isnt the issue
thanks

I grew up spray painting model cars in my parent's basement in WI, which got pretty cold in winter.

I think I've also had it give glossy applications if sprayed in cold temperatures. So if your can isn't warmed up or you're spraying it outside, it might do this.

I grew up spray painting model cars in my parent's basement in WI, which got pretty cold in winter.

I think I've also had it give glossy applications if sprayed in cold temperatures. So if your can isn't warmed up or you're spraying it outside, it might do this.

thanks as well this was also a factor

If you place the spray-can in hot water for a few minutes, then shake well before use, it works better too. I keep mine in the garage, so I have those issues as well.

We've had the same issue in the studio all the time

We use KrystalClear and the stuff always goes gloss on us if we dont warm the can in hot water then shake for 1-2 minutes

annoying as all heck but the results are always great :)

Doc

Dullcote can be tricky sometimes. I've found that if I don't give it a really good shake before use(like for about a minute)that sometimes it'll gloss.Fortunately,my wife gets Mr SuperClear, a Japanese brand that is both thinner and more consistent in application. Unfortunately, it's also more expensive and harder to get.Guess you have pay for quality...PS

Spot on :lecture

Give it a could shaking and your flat testors dullcote will be just fine. :1-1:

Back