Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - IDW, Mirage, Image, Archie, DC, etc.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawpaw

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thought they needed their own thread. I love the 2011-current IDW run going on. I'll post my read-order list sometime to show how I chronologically read the series.

Anyone have the original 1984 issues? I'm starting to collect these. I didn't realize how many of issue #1 were modded and reproduced and yet still graded by cgc! It's really hard to find a first printing that's authentic so far. I just learned what to look for.

Anyways, look forward to discussion any TMNT comics with you guys. I'm patienly waiting to get issue #55 from IDW. Thoughts on what Old hob is up to?

I started collecting the original Mirage run back in '85. I think #4 was the first issue I bought. Around that time I bought a copy of issue 2 at a con in NYC for $2.00 because it had tape on the cover. I had Eastman and Laird sign it right across the isle from where I bought it. That same day they were giving away signed proof covers (covers that were never put on the comics) and I still have issue 1 and I think 2 copies of 5 I might have Fugitoid too. I have most of the Mirage issues. I also have few sketches from Eastman and Laird that I've gotten over the years. I have most of the IDW run too. I'm missing maybe 4 or 5 issues. Its a great book that more people should read. Consistently good month after month... TMNT/Batman has been really good so far too. As for Hob... Hes trying to start a war.

Hmm, have been contemplating picking up a Turtles comic. Would prefer to stick to one, this IDW run is recommended?

It's definitely a good grown up version of tmnt. Issue #44 and #50 are amazing! I've liked the artists for the most part. Dan Duncan's work is OK but I really enjoy this series. I'm a huge Turtles fan but I'm very happy with what IDw is doing. The Batman crossover is fun! I didn't care as much for the ghostbusters crossover.

I made a document with all of the variant covers and issues. I'm being stupid and trying to ammase as many as possible.

I only have issue #4 first printing. Definitely trying to find the other originals.

Last edited:
I agree about the Turtles IDW run. I've only read through I think issue 26 or so but I loved what I read. I only stopped because my finances won't allow me to keep collecting, toys, movies, and comics all at once. I cut down on my movies significantly and I basically only buy hot toys(and the occasional six inch figure for toys). Comics i'm down to only two titles, Vader and star wars but I'd like to get back into Buffy/Angel and Turtles.

The only turtle comic I've read recently was maybe a year ago when they offed one of them. That was...disturbing to say the least. Maybe when bills aren't as rough, I can get back into them and catch up.

Shawpaw, would you say the recent issues are as good as the first 20 or so?

I would say that issues 40-50 are insanely stressful but addicting. They are about to transition into another story arc. I'd suggest catching up on them via TPB or comixology (when they have big sales). It's some of the better writing right now. I'm surprised DC hasn't tried to poach a few of the IDW folks.

I got into this series fairly recently and now I'm hooked. I bought the hardback book which has the first 12 issues I believe and it's awesome. I really like the origin of them in this interpretation. I haven't read any more because I want to read them in order. So now I'm trying to track down every issue, I think I'm missing about 15 or so from the 55 issue run.

I got into this series fairly recently and now I'm hooked. I bought the hardback book which has the first 12 issues I believe and it's awesome. I really like the origin of them in this interpretation. I haven't read any more because I want to read them in order. So now I'm trying to track down every issue, I think I'm missing about 15 or so from the 55 issue run.

I thougjt the origin was really neat too. The character development has been phenomenal. I like how they use Old Hob in this series. There's a new "greatest hits" $1.00 issue that just came out and it has a chronological flow chart of how to read all the Canon, microseries, and crossovers. I put the new Batman/TMNT issues behind the regular IDW #38 issue for continuity reasons. IDW nailed this series and it feels much more like the 1984 run. They do some great stuff.

I collect at least two variant covers for each issue. I love the Kevin Eastman covers

I have an extra IDW #1 Cover B of anyone is interested.

Awesome man, I'll have to check out that issue. I've only read the current Tmnt and Batman issue's since I read the hardcover all the other ones I'm waiting on. The Batman crossover has been great so far. I really wish I started these since the beginning, I just counted and I'm officially missing 20 issue's. Is the 1B cover the Donatello cover? I only have the Leo cover.

Awesome man, I'll have to check out that issue. I've only read the current Tmnt and Batman issue's since I read the hardcover all the other ones I'm waiting on. The Batman crossover has been great so far. I really wish I started these since the beginning, I just counted and I'm officially missing 20 issue's. Is the 1B cover the Donatello cover? I only have the Leo cover.

Yes I have a spare 1B Donatello. I also got these today for $80. IMG_20160303_182802313.jpg

Been reading this series (IDW) since day 1. When I heard they were restarting TMNT and Eastman would co-write, i made sure to have my LCS add it to my pull list. I honestly think of I has to cancel my file and could keep collecting only one series, it would be this one. I wasn't a fan of the April/Casey mini series and I couldn't stand Ross Campbell's art style. Other than that everything is awesome.

Oh I agree on both counts. I liked what April and Casey's story brought to the universe. But total bore. I feel like they are starting to misuse Casey like the Nickelodeon show. I'm glad Mateus is coming back for #56

Yeah, it was most definitely boring but the introduction was at least nice. So at least there's that. It's definitely odd though what they're doing with April and Casey now. Casey's basically a giant ****** now. But not normal ****** but rather super ******. I get the feeling that he's gonna be leaving soon. Going out on some soul searching trip and that could be the next micro series.

I saw some dad at a local store with his kid. His kid was there to grb his comics. Dad walks over to pick up the Batman / TMNT crossover, looks it over, and grabs all issues for himself. Haha

His son asked if he was getting those and he said yes. I just thought it was funny as he probably didnt read comics but had to check out TMNT and Batman.

IDW TMNT: Deviations is a decent read. There's more violence in that one issue than most of the series combined haha. Story was cool but felt a little rushed at the end

Back