Tax refund

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they sent me a bill for what benefits I reaped, I'd pay it. I think my traffic tickets pretty much cover my road use.

Maine's top bracket (7.95%) starts at $20,900. Maine Revenue Services can get ****ed.

So the majority of the population lives off of less than $20,900? They lives off the land or something? Mr. Green makes that much decades ago, as a tempt.
At least Mr. Green heard spring water are pure enough to drink, over there.

I had to pay $5,000. You bunch of lucky jerks. :lol

Irish, I've read enough of your posts to gather that you are in the entertainment business; are you considered an independent contractor?

If I didn't have four children to claim as dependents as well as mortgage interest deduction, I'd owe a pretty penny.

In fact, it's fun to use Turbo Tax. I'm entering my W2s (three employers last year, and my wife worked a few months before we had our third child) and it shows me in the red, owing a few thousand. As some as enter the dependents, as well as the mortgage interest deduction, I'm back in the black (cue AC/DC music).

Irish, I've read enough of your posts to gather that you are in the entertainment business; are you considered an independent contractor?
Yes, and no. My Freelance work is done as an Independent Contractor, yes. So I get 1099s, which hurts. But I also have a full-time salaried job as an IT Program Manager. W2s there, but with the 1099s added it really puts me in a rough bracket, especially since I'm Single.

I saved a lot this year toward taxes and was still 5k short. :lol :slap

If I didn't have four children to claim as dependents as well as mortgage interest deduction, I'd owe a pretty penny.
Yeah, I hear ya. I have to Itemize each year, or I would be destroyed. What does suck is that I have 3 kids, but only claim 1 as a Dependent based on my Divorce Agreement years and years ago. Man I wish I'd have negotiated for 2. :lol And the IRS is brutal in that they don't let you write-off Child Support (nor does the recipient have to claim it as income).

Tax Law is so weird and frustrating. :gah:

So the majority of the population lives off of less than $20,900? They lives off the land or something? Mr. Green makes that much decades ago, as a tempt.
At least Mr. Green heard spring water are pure enough to drink, over there.

I make less than that. :lol

And the IRS is brutal in that they don't let you write-off Child Support (nor does the recipient have to claim it as income).
Not to stir up a pseudo-political debate, but the system in general is geared toward the mother in child-related situations (particularly when it comes to custody-related issues). In this case, it seems explicitly punitive toward the father.

Not to stir up a pseudo-political debate, but the system in general is geared toward the mother in child-related situations (particularly when it comes to custody-related issues). In this case, it seems explicitly punitive toward the father.

Indeed. It's especially frustrating considering our Divorce and Parenting Agreement were both uncontested. We agreed on EVERYTHING, it was completely friendly and we even used the same lawyer. And we have Joint Legal Custody. But the court still FORCES someone to pay Child Support, and there is a minimum monthly amount per child based on how much the highest wage earner makes. The scary thing is I could be even worse off in this deal. Thank God we get along. :lol

I wasn't trying to be flippant towards Irish's situation (or any other divorced father, for that matter), but Kara is completely right. If I ever got divorced and had to pay child support for three kids, I'd probably have to move in with my damn parents.

Interestingly enough, I have one small anecdote I'd like to share. Many, many years ago, while in college, I worked as a bank teller. Every month this lady would come in a request a money order/cashier's check in the amount of $600 or so. Come to find out this was a child support check. That last month before the child turned 18 and she came in for the last check, she was happy as can be. Now I don't know if she was the mother of the child and had lost custody and had to pay child support, or if she was getting the money order for her boyfriend/husband who was paying child support on another child, but I found it interesting.

Sorry to hijack the thread, OP.

Do you happen to read Men's Health?

I calculated what I'd owe if I intended to pay this year. $6700 between state and fed. I'll go to jail first.

I guess being poor, I'm not used to these numbers. :lol

Being single with no kids hurts big time when it comes to taxes........and other things.

I calculated what I'd owe if I intended to pay this year. $6700 between state and fed. I'll go to jail first.

Remember to string the soap on your wrist :lecture.

giphy.gif

Back