Tax refund

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jban3786

Freaked Out
Reaction score
So did anyone else blow there tax refund on some sort of collectible?
Just ordered the Project Triforce Geth Pulse Rifle

For some reason, Mr. Green had to write them a check. Maybe that is because Mr. Green made more than before. But still, he's no where near being rich. If all the calculation are correct, at least, he'll be getting $30 refund from state tax, lololol.

For some reason, Mr. Green had to write them a check. Maybe that is because Mr. Green made more than before. But still, he's no where near being rich. If all the calculation are correct, at least, he'll be getting $30 refund from state tax, lololol.

If you're getting something back from the state, I would think you'd get something back from your federal taxes too.

Was out of work for six months in 2014; for that tax year, we got refunded about $3,400 in federal and $1,100 in state taxes.

Back at work full time in 2015 and making slightly above what I formerly made. Refunded $96 in federal and $1,000 in state.

Had a new addition to our family this year (third child) and I adjusted my exemptions accordingly. While it's nice to get a huge refund around tax time, the extra take home pay each month after adjusting federal withholding helps, especially with an 11 year old, 10 year old, and 10 month old.

Like Karamazov, any refund goes towards savings and family expenses. Last year we sprung for new windows (our house had original aluminum windows from 1984. As you can imagine, not very energy efficient), and the year before, a new exterior door.

We've been lucky in that our automobiles have been well maintained with nary a problem. Driving a 2001 Honda Civic and a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. While we would love a new car, not feasible for a family of five with three kids and a mortgage. Civic was paid off in 2005 and the Pathfinder was paid off in 2012. It's been nice not having to pay a car note for the past four years or so. But unfortunately, the Pathfinder is slowly breaking down. The timing chain needs to be replaced. That's $1,900. There are other smaller issues, like the heat works intermittently (actually that's a big issue trying to drive around an infant in the winter). We might be in the market for a minivan. When you're taking a infant/toddler in and out of their car seats, sliding doors are much more convenient than regular doors. Some company should design an SUV with sliding doors, LOL.

Sorry, went on a tangent and off topic there. :lol

Impressive state refunds. I always owe, but that's probably a function of the state I live in. My taxes benefit slightly from paying an ungodly amount to childcare every year. That and the general child tax credits are the primary reasons I get any refunds.

<---tax evader
So long as you derive no benefit from tax funds, I see no problem not paying them. . .

UGH. I've been freelancing for the past 6 months. Gonna owe big time. :mad:

Hoping the place I'm freelancing at now will take me on full time! :pray:

I wait till the last minute to file mine since my refund helps get me through the summer since I'm not paid for 2 months. :(

Huh? Whaddaya do? Not interested in getting a temp job for those two months?

It used to be I'd work summer school but this year it doesn't look like they're going to have it with my age group. It's really hard to get a job for just two months. No one wants to hire you knowing you'll only be with them for around 8 weeks. Plus, I'm a caregiver for my mother so that keeps me busy. I used to have an in-home business with my mother but as of January, that ended. This will be the first year that I'll have NO income at all for that long.

Ah, I see! My wife is a professor and she has her bank account automatically set aside some money per month for a summer fund.

Her school doesn’t do the stretch pay, but that may be only public schools that do that and not universities. However, her school is run by a giant a-hole (like many universities seem to be now), and you wouldn’t want them to do the stretch pay. You see, full time faculty at her school (and I think most universities) are contracted to teach x amount of classes, so technically once class sessions ended, teachers can go on their merry way. Normally classes end in early May, but the teachers are paid through to the end of June (just how payroll does it). So in the past couple of years, the president now wants all faculty to show up to school for all of May and June even though there are no classes to teach. They even come up with seminars that are mandatory for the faculty to attend just to keep them coming in. The administration figures that they are paying the teachers through June, so they should keep coming in til then. So if they did stretch pay, it would mean all teachers would have to be in school 12 months a year even if they didn't have anything to do! But teaching is not like manufacturing or a profession that requires man hours in order to turn a profit. It’s not like having the teachers all present at school is going to yield more “product”. It is simply, and transparently, a way to punish the faculty. Watch a documentary called “Ivory Tower” which talks about how colleges are run like business nowadays. It features my alma mater, Cooper Union.

Sorry for the rant!

So long as you derive no benefit from tax funds, I see no problem not paying them. . .

If they sent me a bill for what benefits I reaped, I'd pay it. I think my traffic tickets pretty much cover my road use.

He is from Maine, they don't make any money so no taxes.

Maine's top bracket (7.95%) starts at $20,900. Maine Revenue Services can get ****ed.

My tax refund is going towards:

Two new toilets (to fix that "you need to hold the handle for the precise amount of time to avoid permaflush")
A new kitchen island
Paying off credit card bills / student loans

I'm officially old.

On the bright side, we got an extra thousand plus for our baby daughter. She's finally starting to pitch in to the household bills.

Back