Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is that if SSC announced a 1/6 Threepio this week, it would be in the $225+ range.

Over a year ago, IG-88 (only slightly more complex) was $175 - and that pricepoint would have been set in 2011. I mean how much would a snowtrooper have been if it came out two years ago? $110 instead of $150 (if you want to go ancient to 2009, it would be $90 instead of $150 like stormie.)

So the reality is that if - when - SSC does their Threepio, say mid next year to give the Tama 3PO a wide berth (probably contractual) it will likely be in the $250 range, given the endless price rises. Amiami is/was selling the Tama version for approx US$285. HLJ is a bit more, $325.

That's only a $35 (or $75 if amiami is indeed sold out) price difference for a 90% metal figure (yes, you pay a HUGE premium for shipping, but its METAL) that has articulated elbows which a plastic 3PO cannot have.

Too much math! TOO MUCH MATH! :google

That's only a $35 (or $75 if amiami is indeed sold out) price difference for a 90% metal figure (yes, you pay a HUGE premium for shipping, but its METAL) that has articulated elbows which a plastic 3PO cannot have.

You're so right. there is no way a plastic 3P0 could have articulated elbows.

Same thing with battle droids

and general grievous
and Ig88.

no way any of those, if made in 1/6th scale, in plastic, could possibly have articulated elbows.

:peace

sarcasam aside.

Yes, it can, and probobly will.

Seriously though, will any of you guys who just dropped $350-$400 on this beautiful figure buy a future Sideshow version? If not, would there be anything in that future release that could sway you to buy a second Threepio made of plastic?

There will never be another Threepio that I will need. For the $400 I am paying guarantees that for me. In my eyes there is nothing that can be improved upon to warrant a purchase of an upgrade. Too much is right with this one. ONE and DONE:yess:

Those sliding pistons would be quite a trick to pull off in plastic - even if they could manage the tolerances it'd be very fragile and prone to breakage.

not really that hard to do. either

A) do them in metal

or

B) just make the fragile

they've done metal accessories in the past they've also done more intricate work as well.

my point is, people need to have mroe faith in sideshow, after all

they've been at this a while.

I disagree that this couldn't be done in plastic. Hot Toys does intricate plastic pistons all the time. Are they fragile? Yes. Do they impede articulation? No. Will they break if man handled? What won't break?

The Iron Monger, the Terminator droids and the Iron Man Marks all have intricate pistons and hinges. I don't see why a sliding hinge would be anymore difficult.

Now if the question is, "Can Sideshow do a plastic version as articulated as this?" My answer is probably leaning toward no.

General Grevious anyone?!?!

medicom is a poor example. they tend to take shortcuts with smaller parts and accessories. producing " hasbroish" soft sculpts. no surprise their 3P0 did not have elbows. medi can't do that type of work.

Here's a question for those who have this in hand already.
What are the dimensions of the base?
Just a little curious to see if it would fit in an acrylic case I have.

Just order my C-3PO from sideshow can't wait. Does anybody know when they will annonce the R2d2?

Yeah, I'm hoping Tamashii reveals an update on their R2. The finish on the dome can certainly be improved. The scale, which happens to be too small in comparison to their C-3PO, is probably a little more costly to improve. :(

I hope I'm wrong and R2 is also a homerun.

Back