SW: 12" or 1/4 PF?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what would you choose?

• Total voters
Ah, got it. Boy, nothing gets past me, huh? ;) :D

Seriously though, I thought the numbers for the 12" would be AT LEAST double that of the PF.

Tom, I agree regarding the stand. Still, you have to give SS credit for making a stand in the first place that matches the quality of the figure it goes with. I remember when I was collecting the Hasbro 12" line, and I had to try and find nice stands for over 150 figures. Not fun.

Last edited:
I just don't look at the 12" figures as toys. I guess that's because I'm not playing with mine. I treat it as any other high end collectible set it up and display it as I want. Then leave it. Both formats kick ass IMO.

If it's nae 1/4 PF it's crap! :D

"pic edited by Dave - we just don't need to see that!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if 1/6 figures cost $300, I would still want them to be the same size and still have posability. It's not about money for me. It's about size and posability. So of course I want as much detail as what is possible in the 1/6 format.

I also don't view the 1/6 as 'toy's. I certainly would never give a 1/6 figure to any child to be bashed around and abused. I see them as high quality representations of the characters. 1/6, for me, is the perfect balance between size and detail.

I didn't consider my Hasbro 3 3/4 collection toys either, nor did I consider my massive 12" collection toys; but, no matter what I considered them they were. Now, I just consider them junk taking up room in my garage. ;)

The SS 1/6 action figures are nice, and I won't knock'em. If they were the focus of my collection, they would be displayed in cases and I would treat them with nothing but care; but, in the end, they are still very much a toy.

hands down, no question in my mind - 1/4 PF's. people who come over to my house, who don't care for this type of hobby, always stare at them and point out the detail without me saying anything. the ability to pose is nice but the stand takes away from it. i will buy figures from each that i like but will buy the 12" because they are inexpensive(are do look amazing) but if it came down to it i would not buy any and save up for the PF's.

I think Pre-PF (before I received my first PF figure) I would have voted for the 12" figures, but now that I'm Post-PF....

Seriously, there's no going back. I had NO idea how nice these things were. I can't help but look at every other representation of these characters as vastly inferior. Now, in all honesty, everything else just looks and feels like cheap crap to me. I look at other pieces in my collection and wonder what the hell I was thinking when I bought them.

PF all the way.

:D

Is your Exclusive 12" Jedi Luke cheap crap? If so, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for ya ;)

JustinLuck said:
Is your Exclusive 12" Jedi Luke cheap crap? If so, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for ya ;)

Actually....

It is when I place it next to my PF figures. Seriously, it just looks like a funky-bodied little goofball. :D The clothing looks too bulky and thick, and the body proportions look odd. It's not the fault of Sideshow since there is only so much you can do with clothing at that scale. I think the 1/4 scale mark is the perfect point where fabric begins to fold, wrinkle, drape and lay realistically. Plus, Greg Mowry is a miniature costuming GOD!! His work brings a tear to my eye. :monkey2

Also, you need to remember that the bodies for the PF line are created from the ground up, so the proportions and pose are designed specifically for each character. I also love the presence of the 1/4 scale. It's enough to give any other toy a serious inferiority complex...

SCvader136.jpg

Yummy goodness. :monkey5

Don't get me wrong, I still like my 12" Luke, but Sideshow has spoiled my enthusiasm for the 12" collection with one of their very own product lines.

Damn you, Sideshow......!

It's all good. At least we have two stellar choices!

:)

I have to admit I am surprised the 12" line is winning. Maybe it's the price of the PF's that scare people away. I just see ther 12" line more as a toy and the PF as a true display piece that's so far above in quality.

No offense to ther 12" line as Iam buyingthe Jedi and plan the buy the Sith, but to me the PF's are just so amazing.

KitFisto said:
I have to admit I am surprised the 12" line is winning. Maybe it's the price of the PF's that scare people away. I just see ther 12" line more as a toy and the PF as a true display piece that's so far above in quality.

No offense to ther 12" line as Iam buyingthe Jedi and plan the buy the Sith, but to me the PF's are just so amazing.

Actually, I'm surprised to see that it's as close as it is. The 12" is pretty darn accessible and affordable, thus very popular.

Fortunately, both lines are VERY successful and sell out quickly EVERY time.

:)

Hi all. I am a first time poster (long time lurker). I think the PF are great if you have the space available. The thing that puts the 1/6 line over the PF for me is that at least you can let your imagination run wild with the different posing options you have... Not so, with the PF.

It's true that the current bodies do have odd proportions, but that is because of design and not limitations of the 1/6 scale. If the forearms were shortened, the wrists were improved, and the limbs thickened (especially the thighs), their bodies wouldn't look bad at all.

You mention that Sideshow builds PF bodies from the ground up to ensure good proportions. But to me, they could improve greatly in this department. I understand that there isn't any detail on the bodies because they are meant to be displayed with clothes on. But body thickness and muscle structure does show through with clothing and I think it is very relevant when building a mixed media statue.

For example, I know Mark Hamill was skinny. But he wasn't anorexic...

SClukebody1.jpg

Jumping back to the stand issue...I've gotten pretty good at hiding it for the ones that need a stand at all. Currently I have R. Lee Ermey, Lincoln, and Washington displayed without stands. I leave my Bond figures with a stand because I'm afraid they fall my cat might eat the guns or other tiny things they are displayed with. However, mostly I cover the stand with the jacket, it bulges in the back, but they're up on a shelf and only viewed from the front so you can't tell. Sometimes it is possible to position the arms so that it hides the stand, for instance my Dr. No Bond is holding his shot glass at waist level blocking at least one half of the clip.

To put this post back on track at least a little I do like that the PF's are kinda sorta attached to the base negating the need for a stand and allowing for a nicer base.

I agree that it only needs to be emphasized on certain characters. But it should still at least be there in one form or another. Looking at Luke, there is not even a hint of bicep, tricep, or pectoral muscles.

That's because with the clothes on even if they were there you couldn't see that hint of bicep tricep or pectoral muscle. And in the movie when were any of those muscles visible through his clothing anyways?

Back