SW: 12" or 1/4 PF?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what would you choose?

• Total voters
Anakin said:
,..both the gentle giant and attakus pieces looks far from mark.h.,...the attakus is a proto,..not final yet,...i had the gentle giant bust and it looks even worse in person,..the profile is simply terrible... :sick :sick :sick

luke_skywalker_popup_3.jpg

I don't have this piece and haven't seen it in person so I bow to Anakin's experienced opinion. That profile just looks a little off to me.

tomandshell said:
I don't have this piece and haven't seen it in person so I bow to Anakin's experienced opinion. That profile just looks a little off to me.

,..a little off is beeing generous,..:lol actually, the pic you showed looks much better than the bust in person,..this bust reminds me that saturday night actor,..the buh-bye guy,..forgot his name...

,..i think the pf 1/4 luke is the best luke we have available right now,...

A little off?? I can't make out any similarities to Hamill on that profile. The nose is way out of proportion for one thing. The ROTJ 1/6 Luke looks the best to me so far. Let's hope they can use that as a stepping stone to an even better looking ANH 1/6 Luke. I'm sorry guys, but I just don't see Hamill very much in that PF.

Let's not even talk about the Attakus piece :horror

I'm with ya tom. While the comparison between the SS 1/6 Luke and the GG minibust are certainly debatable, there is no comparison to the 1/4 Luke. And, yeah, that Attakus Luke is just aweful. They just can't seem to get humans right. Like I said, the SS action figure is nice (even for a toy) but seeing the two next to each other, in my daughter's collection, GG has captured the likeness a little better.

I have both the 1/4 Luke and the Gentle Giant bust and I can definitely see more or Mark Hamill in the bust. The 1/4 Luke's face is too long and I can't get over the sickly look. That doesn't mean I think Gentle Giant's is perfect, but it's definitely better than the 1/4 Luke.

The front view of the GG bust looks pretty good even if it's a bit off in profile. But I do think that PF Luke and 1/6 RotJ Luke are better likenesses though.

Man, if I thought my old GG Luke minibust had a better likeness than the SS 1/4 Luke, the 1/4 Luke would be on ebay in a heartbeat. CF, you have any pics of the two compared? I'll get a couple too when my daughter gets back from spring break.

Collector Freak said:
but it's definitely better than the 1/4 Luke.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
,...kind of late for aprils fool!
,...the gg luke likeness it's a joke compared with the far superior luke 1/4 pf.,.. sorry,.. but i own ,,own'd both,... there's no comparison,..one looks like mark,..the other not,..

Last edited:
I actually have 1/4 PF Luke, SS 12" Luke and the GG Luke bust. I think the PF Luke is the best, followed by (extremely narrow margin) 12" Luke. Of course I like the GG Luke... gotta love the helmet he carries. I just like Luke I guess. :D

As much as I love the PF line, and I do, just the sheer size of these alone would become difficult.

Since Star Wars has a multitude of characters that are varied, the 12" scale is better suited - that, and the price is sweet. As much as I would love 3-4 PF versions a year, I would rather have 10 1:6 scalers! That, and they are just much easier to store and I do love articulation for poses.

I'd have to go with ther 12" Luke having the best likeness, the 1/4 scale Luke next, and the GG Bust last which from straight in is pretty good but not so much from the profile.

jlcmsu said:
I'd have to go with ther 12" Luke having the best likeness, the 1/4 scale Luke next, and the GG Bust last which from straight in is pretty good but not so much from the profile.

Josh, I think you abosutely nailed the right order !!! I'm with you on this. Youre right Josh..... 1/6 Luke has the best likeness... Mat Falls has sculpt the best luke ever( forget about the expression or the paint guys, just think about the sculpt) IF this sculpt was on the PF luke everybody would say its the greatest Luke ever !!!!! But High end collectors dont want to see a 12'' with a better sculpt than a PF. Admit it guys.... :monkey5 .Anyway, Matt, is one of the greatest sculptor on this planet....

And hey..PFers...your getting your ass kicked by the 12incher...

I just wanted to add, I prefer 1/6 scale figures because they are relatively portable. You can place them almost anywhere.

It is also easier for the figures to 'interact' with each other by posing them in different ways.

Andy's sculpt on the 1/4 scale from what was shown in the blog was outstanding but the paint apps I think has hurt that one.

Shaihulud said:
But High end collectors dont want to see a 12'' with a better sculpt than a PF. Admit it guys....

Well, that's a rather vacuous comment. It's the equivalent of PF collector's saying "1/6 scale collector's will say the 12 inchers have better likenesses because it's all they can afford."

Was there really any question that there are more 12" action figure collector's than 1/4 Premium Format collector's? Hence the higher production runs on the 1/6 line. I honestly expected the PF number on the poll to be about 1/10 of what the 1/6 number is. I didn't think it would be that close. :)

Shaihulud said:

Mini...actually this was pure sarcasm..... Trying to give the pfers a boost here...I love pf nearly as much as 12'' and can afford both....

Mini-Rock said:
Was there really any question that there are more 12" action figure collector's than 1/4 Premium Format collector's? Hence the higher production runs on the 1/6 line. I honestly expected the PF number on the poll to be about 1/10 of what the 1/6 number is. I didn't think it would be that close. :)

I agree. I am surprised that the PF crowd represents 40% of the poll. I expected more like 10-15% for the large and costly statues.

I am on the lookout for the largest and most visually impressive display pieces that I can get, which is the PF line. The 12" figures look like the finest toys ever made, but still look like toys. I am less interested in playing/posing than I am in having a nice piece to display. (I have had fun playing with Luke, and even more fun staring at Obi-Wan and Vader.)

The one thing that I think hurts the display value of the 12" line is the reliance upon the stand, with the big clip wrapping around the waist and interfering visually with the costume. I think that it's just a big visual reminder that it's a toy. If I thought the 12 inchers were more visually impressive on display then I would have voted for them instead.

If money is an issue then you can argue that the 12" line gives you the best bang for your buck, but if you can afford the PFs I personally feel that they are the more dynamic display pieces.

Back