Suspicious ebayer and auctions?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, it looks okay.
Although his previous transactions are archived they are all for purchases rather than sales. Looking through the list of dealers he has worked with, there are a lot I recognise that sell a great deal of LOTR Collectables and are good established quality sellers, some of whom are even members here.

The only thing I would mention is the use of stock photos, if you are considering buying any of these I personally would ask for photographs of the item and the edition/item number(if applicable).

Shell
x :D

I was interested in some of his items and asked about the condition of the statues.

His answer was "All of my pieces are in mint condition and have the original boxes that Sideshow Weta sent them to me in. If you require actual pics I would be happy to send them to you."

I didn't request any pictures, but it seems as if he would be willing to send them.

His listings do indeed include a lot of high-priced items, but I see it this way: If I would decide to sell my entire collection, it would probably look about the same and people could get suspicious because I haven't sold on Ebay before and all my feedback would come from buying.

Just my 2 cents.

d

Did anyone receive any actual pics from this seller?
he refused to send them for several reasons ..
very suspicious...:sick that's what my feeling says

Hmmm...pick-up is allowed, but only if you paypal first. Asked if I could pay in cash, said no. Doesn't sound right...

Hey, don't make me nervous... I have two bids in and am still the highest bidder :horror

Please somebody, outbid me! :thwak

I have doubts, when in doubt....

I emailed this person and he told me that he has just received all these statues from SSW. Some have been sold out for ages.

I am suspicious, look feedback, not many feedbacks, I must stay away.

:horror

Daveyjaro said:
I have doubts, when in doubt....

I emailed this person and he told me that he has just received all these statues from SSW. Some have been sold out for ages.

I am suspicious, look feedback, not many feedbacks, I must stay away.

:horror

I almost placed a bid, but now that makes it all clear. Thx

I won Sam and Bill,

What should I do now? Should I pay him? Please help an inexperienced e bayer
:confused:
Cheers
Liam

Last edited:
Be very careful, this could be a hijacked account!
If you've won an auction make sure to ONLY pay via paypal using your credit card only! That way you have coverage if the guy is a fraud. Best of luck!

If I pay by paypal and don't recieve item then what happens? What can I do and what are the chances of getting my money back?

DO NOT use instant transfer. If you do decide to go through with the auction I would first send an email to Ebay's fraud department and ask them to check out the account for possible hijacking. With a history of not selling this type of stuff combined with the lies and missinformation you have reason to be wary. IF you did get it for a cheap enough price to risk it, fund your purchase with a major credit card that you have had for a while. The longer you have been with them and the more money you use on it the more willing they are to make sure you are a happy customer. Luckily Discover has taken care of every single issue I have ever had. Good luck to you but at $800+ I would never chance it, maybe for $500 or less......

He does have feedback from several sellers of LOTR merchendise but things about your guy's communications with him gives me cause for suspicion.

Look at his feedback one use of Ebay in the last 15 months....... something smells rotton.

My first step would be to request his contact info from Ebay then I would check with Mike or Bob who have both sold him stuff in the past to verify that the information hasen't changed.

Jesse

Last edited:
Yogie Bear said:
I won Sam and Bill,

What should I do now? Should I pay him? Please help an inexperienced e bayer
:confused:
Cheers
Liam

1) Request actual pics first, with the date and your hand-written name.
i think he will hardly send it.

2)his fb is not enough for paypal buyer protection. it means
you won't get money back easily, if he is IT. you should have to struggle...

3) why don't you wait till ohter buyers leave fb? he can't blame you for
delayed payment when there's no actual pics provided,me think

The fact that he/she won't send pictures of the actual item is sketchy.
But then again, we can't assume everyone has moved to the digital camera age.

But the fact that a user does choose paypal is a good thing. Two times, I bought/paid for items (too good to be true at that price items) from two sellers on eBay and paid via paypal. One seller, was questionable, and I filed with paypal. after awhile and no contact from the seller to me or paypal(nomore than 2-3 weeks), my money was fully refunded. Again, with the other one, the seller responded by giving me back the money via paypal.

Doesn't mean this particular seller is more trustable but still.

The others have a point. Get him checked out by ebay. They sometimes have real-time communication, i think... might be able to get an answer there.

However, since most of his items end in 2 hrs or so from now, waiting til you see someone leave feedback is fruitless.

Their feedback is 100%, though all are from sellers, like someone else said. And have been a member for more than a year with the same user ID. I've got a 100% feedback at 218, but i've never sold anything on eBay. Sounds good, but be cautious.

Last edited:
Well the part that would concern me is that he has used Ebay only one time in the past 15 months and then all at once he has dam near one of every SS LOTR piece to sell. Inactive accounts are the easiest to hijack.

Dont get to cought up with Paypal the allmighty either, if there is no money left in the account when the disputes are filed then all you'll get is a "you were right but sorry your money is gone" letter. Happened to me twice, luckily I used my CC which promptly kicked Paypals ass and had my money to me in less then a week. I had to open a new Paypal account but I wasn't out any money.

Again all this could be for not and he could be legit, but even if he is these types of pieces are not something I would buy from someone that has never sold on Ebay before. No offence to anyone that has a million positives for buying. Until it's proven that you can safely package something or take care of the customer if there is a problem I will look elswhere. My loss I am sure but better safe then sorry.

Jesse

After all, I am happy that I was outbid on the items I was bidding on...

I have now checked the bidding history of the items I was bidding on and have noticed that on two of them, bids were retracted:

Moria Orc Archer History

Withcking History

which only makes these autions seem more suspicious to me. I hope for the winners that everything turns out fine. Any other members here (bsides Yogie Bear) that have won one of his auctions?

I was oogling the Stone Trolls, but something didn't seem right. :google

Back