Superman Returns - SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that the "Clark Kent" identity is his way of being around people and being treated like a normal person. I mean, if your next door neighbor was Superman, wouldn't you be bugging him to do you favors all the time? Being a superhero is a thankless job, and the work never ends. It would be a very lonely and isolated life. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to find a way to retreat from all of the expectations every now and then and just be a nobody for a while.

tomandshell said:
I think that the "Clark Kent" identity is his way of being around people and being treated like a normal person. I mean, if your next door neighbor was Superman, wouldn't you be bugging him to do you favors all the time? Being a superhero is a thankless job, and the work never ends. It would be a very lonely and isolated life. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to find a way to retreat from all of the expectations every now and then and just be a nobody for a while.

Exactly! I feel the same way. I mean, if he was superman all the time... he'd probably lose his mind, and the values that he is so well known for would eventually slip... :monkey2

tomandshell said:
Being a superhero is a thankless job, and the work never ends.

I know ... indeed it does get tough.

funny__10.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

tomandshell said:

Clark's vulnerability was always great. The fact that he's trying to fit in made it like he was trying to be human. Now, he's a parent, so that dynamic will be lost. It will all be about his kid trying to fit in. That's what turned me against this film, as great as it was up until that point.

On another note, I always enjoyed the polar opposites of Superman/Batman. Clark Kent is Superman, but Bruce Wayne isn't Batman, Batman is Batman, he just does the Bruce Wayne thing when he has to. If Batman had it his way, he'd be Batman all the time.

KLAUDER said:
Clark's vulnerability was always great. The fact that he's trying to fit in made it like he was trying to be human. Now, he's a parent, so that dynamic will be lost. It will all be about his kid trying to fit in. That's what turned me against this film, as great as it was up until that point.

On another note, I always enjoyed the polar opposites of Superman/Batman. Clark Kent is Superman, but Bruce Wayne isn't Batman, Batman is Batman, he just does the Bruce Wayne thing when he has to. If Batman had it his way, he'd be Batman all the time.

Hmmm... well yes, totally agree Batman does Bruce when he has to and that's great about the character, but Superman does Clark because he has to IMO. He is, after all, an Alien with human qualities and was raised that way, he knows he was 'sent here for a reason", knows his name is Kal-el and knows the teachings of his father Jorel, so he has no choice except to be Clark because he has to.. in the end he is Clark, Kal-El and Superman...

The kid thing: don't think we'll be seeing much of the kid in the next Movie, maybe a few scenes to check in, but now that the franchise has been rebooted, Superman is free to kick ass again. And we will see a much different Lois, one who will have a completely different disposition.

Being a parent? Well, Lois is raising her kid and we still don't know with whom, but she will protect him from others so I doubt he'll know who his real father is for a while. Clark will want to be involved at some point down the line as his child's powers become more pronounced...

Don't know if we'll see a trip to the Fortress with kid and Dad in the next film but I can sort of see that coming at some point as well...

Last edited:
:lol
SideshowDusty said:
Overall - I give it 2.5/5 stars.

,..thankfully,.. you ain't a movie critic and work on a collectible company,...:monkey5 :lol would you share this opinion in public if sideshow had the dc license and were working on superman returns merchandise? just curious,..but i really don't think so ;)

...by the way,..i liked this movie a whole lot,.. :chew :chew :chew i give it 5 stars out of 5 :google :google :google

Saw it and..........................................F$#KING AWESOME! I loved it! Routh really nailed Superman esp with really conveing the sense of lonelyness the last son of Krypton must of felt.
What I really liked about this film it really showed how powerful of being he really was. How hard would it be to not use that power (absolute power corrupts?) to dominate the world, to make the world see things your way. To me it really showed how strong he was in strength but in character also to withstand doing that to the world.

BUT I guess the thing I really enjoyed (I guess I am the only one) is the ending with him in his son's room just looking down at him. Routh did such a excellent job in this scene. It was like all the pain that Superman felt with having his entire home world and parents destroyed being the only one that survived just vanish from his face. Replaced with the look that he is no longer alone, that this child was part of him. I don't know I just thought it was a really cool scene.

KLAUDER said:
• He had a rocket with a kryptonite payload in the war head. I totally thought that he was going to put that rocket right into Superman's chest. Instead, he just shoots it into the water.

Yeah, um... instead he made KRYPTONITE LACED LAND! Thus, killing two birds with one stone. (Superman is powerless and he has tons of land to sell.)

Sorry, you're just not cut out for the whole evil genius thing. :monkey2

Anakin said:

,..thankfully,.. you ain't a movie critic and work on a collectible company,...:monkey5 :lol would you share this opinion in public if sideshow had the dc license and were working on superman returns merchandise? just curious,..but i really don't think so ;)

...by the way,..i liked this movie a whole lot,.. :chew :chew :chew i give it 5 stars out of 5 :google :google :google

Rotten Tomatoes:
170 Reviews
130 Positive

Here's a link to Newsweek's Review by David Ansen, who can be particularly harsh, I think you'll find it more to your liking...

https://msnbc.msn.com/id/13389957/site/newsweek

If Jean Cocteau had directed $200 million action movies, they might have looked a little like this. Next to Singer's champagne, most recent superhero adventure movies are barely sparkling cider.

Dang! I wouldn't mind getting a review like that if I were Bryan Singer...

tomandshell said:
Dang! I wouldn't mind getting a review like that if I were Bryan Singer...

Ansen is hard to please, believe me, I read it through and he echoes my feelings, especially the emotional side of it,

which IS the Movie IMO.

"Singer aroused a feeling that I, as a victim of Chronic Summer Superhero Fatigue Syndrome, wasn't expecting: I felt happy to have Superman back, as if I'd actually missed the guy. You know that you are in the presence of kitsch of a very high order when a comic-book romance can actually produce a lump in your throat."

is it just me, or was the film very dark? not dark in content, but dark as in low lighting? a lot of times, even in perry white's office, it was so dark i was expecting batman to step out of the shadows.

i know superman did a lot of night flying, but richard donner still found a way to make superman visible. in a lot of the night flying scenes, i had trouble seeing bryan singer's superman. very frustrating since the flying is the best part.

maybe if his cape was red instead of maroon, he would be more visible?

and the line "the father becomes the son"......what does that mean? i didn't understand that in 1978 and still don't.

as for the sequal....as lex would say......."BRING IT ON!!!!"

captain sack said:
and the line "the father becomes the son"......what does that mean? i didn't understand that in 1978 and still don't.

Until the new film I dismissed this as part of the whole father-son-holy-ghost thing they had going on.

But now I think that's it's really about how deep an impression a father figure has on a son (the son becomes the father) and how, in turn, raising a son changes the dad (the father becomes the son). So in essence Superman is saying to his son that he will change as much by knowing his son as his son will change by knowing his dad.

"You will travel far, my little Kal-El. But we will never leave you... even in the face of our deaths... the richness of our lives shall be yours. All that I have, all that I've learned, everything I feel... all this, and more... I bequeath you, my son. You will carry me inside you all the days of your life. You will make my strength your own, and see my life through your own eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father, and the father becomes the son. This is all I can send you, Kal-El."

pjam said:
Ansen is hard to please, believe me, I read it through and he echoes my feelings, especially the emotional side of it,

which IS the Movie IMO.

"Singer aroused a feeling that I, as a victim of Chronic Summer Superhero Fatigue Syndrome, wasn't expecting: I felt happy to have Superman back, as if I'd actually missed the guy. You know that you are in the presence of kitsch of a very high order when a comic-book romance can actually produce a lump in your throat."

I agree 100%.... This movie was one that I sat through with a smile on my face. I felt the exact same way the entire way through.

"You will travel far, my little Kal-El. But we will never leave you... even in the face of our deaths... the richness of our lives shall be yours. All that I have, all that I've learned, everything I feel... all this, and more... I bequeath you, my son. You will carry me inside you all the days of your life. You will make my strength your own, and see my life through your own eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father, and the father becomes the son. This is all I can send you, Kal-El."

:monkey2
Brings a tear to my eye...
INCREDIBLE MOVIE!

Thanks for postin the above.

!ss!

Anakin said:

I don't think the fact that Sideshow doesn't have the license influences Dusty's opinion. Sideshow has the Marvel license, and is shipping maquettes from X 3, and Dusty ripped that apart in her review.

I enjoyed it more the second time I saw it.

However, one thing is still confusing to me...

When the plane carrying the space shuttle is rocketing dangerously away into the upper reaches of the earth's atmosphere, the camera cuts to the typical scene of people crowding together on the sidewalk watching the drama unfold on a bunch of televisions in a store window conveniently located next to the bar that Superman is walking out of. My question: Where is the camera located that is capturing that live footage???

:confused:

tomandshell said:
I enjoyed it more the second time I saw it. However, one thing is still confusing to me...My question: Where is the camera located that is capturing that live footage???

:confused:
Skywalker Ranch :lol

KLAUDER said:
I don't think the fact that Sideshow doesn't have the license influences Dusty's opinion. Sideshow has the Marvel license, and is shipping maquettes from X 3, and Dusty ripped that apart in her review.

Totally agree there Klauder

Back