Superman Red Son Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure the Batman variant is the modern version that's been revealed a few weeks ago, only Supes and WW are getting the Red son treatment.

I'd be shocked if they actually went ahead and done a Batmankoff variant.

2a8px6s.jpg

Alex confirmed they are doing Batman Red Son and it's a new sculpt

There are other Batman and Superman versions I am more interested in than these. I wish Sideshow would close some edition sizes and get to that Aquaman PF before all these variants.

Still never even heard of red son. I google them and still have no info on these at all. Are they evil? Did the red son team face the justice league?

Nah-the story takes place in the alternate DC universe-I read the story years ago and loved it-right up there with The Dark Knight Returns. Premise of the story is Superman is raised in Russia not the USA (infant rocket ship crash lands in the USSR)-the usual suspects are involved in the story -Lex Luthor, Batman, Wonder Woman-but with a twist-you should check it out-I am considering getting these because I always liked the outfits in it-especially Supes-think it's bad-ass. As someone else mentioned, some people might have a problem displaying statues with Russian propaganda, but to me, it's in the context of the story. I have the Darkness PF displayed because I love the Film LEGEND-not because I am a devil worshipper-lol
Still never even heard of red son. I google them and still have no info on these at all. Are they evil? Did the red son team face the justice league?

Nah-the story takes place in the alternate DC universe-I read the story years ago and loved it-right up there with The Dark Knight Returns. Premise of the story is Superman is raised in Russia not the USA (infant rocket ship crash lands in the USSR)-the usual suspects are involved in the story -Lex Luthor, Batman, Wonder Woman-but with a twist-you should check it out-I am considering getting these because I always liked the outfits in it-especially Supes-think it's bad-ass. As someone else mentioned, some people might have a problem displaying statues with Russian propaganda, but to me, it's in the context of the story. I have the Darkness PF displayed because I love the Film LEGEND-not because I am a devil worshipper-lol

Cool story! Thanks for the fill in. Wonder why I never seen it before. So what happen in the end? Did they become evil and had to be stopped? Or did they become heroes? I still can't see myself buying these with how much space each of these takes. I will never say never because I've bought a few that I say no to before. I do have a feeling these will no be top sellers. So it would be cool variants for those who likes the story lines. As for the flags, I can careless what flag displays. To me it represents the character and that's what's cool.

I get the impression only a small minority of collectors will be willing to fork out $400+ on this, kinda annoyed that this variant takes up a DC PF slot this year, how about some new characters instead of multiple variants.

I agree. This seems lazy when you have characters like Robin, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Supergirl, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Red Hood, Aquaman (yes, I know he is going to be previewed soon), Black Manta, Cyborg, Starfire, Guy Gardner, Carol Ferris, etc. (and this doesn't even include a ton of villains). I don't have any interest in these 3 variants and will save my money on the characters we truly need.

Cool story! Thanks for the fill in. Wonder why I never seen it before. So what happen in the end? Did they become evil and had to be stopped? Or did they become heroes? I still can't see myself buying these with how much space each of these takes. I will never say never because I've bought a few that I say no to before. I do have a feeling these will no be top sellers. So it would be cool variants for those who likes the story lines. As for the flags, I can careless what flag displays. To me it represents the character and that's what's cool.
I agree-don't think these will move quickly unless they have an ultra low ES (I'm kind of hoping for that). I passed on the original trinity PF's-think they are beautiful, but my collection has enough representations of the classic look.
There is a lot of twists and turns in the story along with a heavy dose of politics and Superman essentially running a police state-Batman is recruited to take Superman down, but ultimately fails-don't want to give too many spoilers in case you want to read it-if you don't care about spoilers, here is a link to the full story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Red_Son
I'm a big fan of DC one off stories that are in the Elseworlds universe-Kingdom Come is another that you should check out if you haven't done so already.

You know, this piece right here is kind of indicative of what is going on/wrong at SS these days. Not a knock on the piece itself, but when Igo says this is the FIRST Superman story he ever read...how is that even possible? Of the thousands upon thousands of Superman stories spanning multiple generations, this is the intro?

When you wonder how they get some of this stuff wrong, well there is your answer. They don't have the history, knowledge, love, of some of this that the collectors do, and it shows in the art direction. It's just a business.

Pretty sure the Batman variant is the modern version that's been revealed a few weeks ago, only Supes and WW are getting the Red son treatment.

I'd be shocked if they actually went ahead and done a Batmankoff variant.

2a8px6s.jpg

Under the preview pic at SS site since Thursday:

Sideshow Collectibles Superman: Red Son Premium Format™ Figure line will feature Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman. Pre-Orders begin on Thursday, May 14 for the Superman – Red Son Statue with the rest of the Justice League trinity following in the future!

I agree. This seems lazy when you have characters like Robin, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Supergirl, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Red Hood, Aquaman (yes, I know he is going to be previewed soon), Black Manta, Cyborg, Starfire, Guy Gardner, Carol Ferris, etc. (and this doesn't even include a ton of villains). I don't have any interest in these 3 variants and will save my money on the characters we truly need.

The argument of "laziness" is not the issue...let's be honest...it's all about maximizing profits. Somebody in Sideshow's accounting department has crafted financial projections that indicate they will make more more manufacturing variants of the Big Three than addressing some of the characters you mentioned.

Don't get me wrong...there are several other DC heroes and villains I wish SS would address rather than variants of the Big Three.

The argument of "laziness" is not the issue...let's be honest...it's all about maximizing profits. Somebody in Sideshow's accounting department has crafted financial projections that indicate they will make more more manufacturing variants of the Big Three than addressing some of the characters you mentioned.

Don't get me wrong...there are several other DC heroes and villains I wish SS would address rather than variants of the Big Three.

If you are going to make a varient that even just uses the body of the original you make the varient rightaway while the moles are still set up and ready to go. You don't dismantle them, put them aside, risk damaging them, and then pull them out years later. The only variants that I can think of that they would do that for are ones that have significant changes to the sculpt and need entirely new molds. The Grey and Green original Hulks were made at the same time. Also, they have all the experts on putting these together right at the plants right now. Tailors and painters are there so there should be luttle to no learning curve. So you use the experience.

Finally, from a simple cost benefit point of view this is probably the only way a RedSon line was going to get done. These things are not cheap to design and put the R&D into for a smaller set of statues that has a niche market but such a huge licensing fee. These would probably not get made ANY other way.

I was thinking about them today and was curious if they would get a new base design. I was never happy with the size and quality on the original designs. Some cool industrial bases could get my interest

Back