Superman line from Mattel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Superman line from Mattel?

so all this time I thought the Mattel's Zod costume was wrong thinking the shiny part should be Black instead of Red...well while watching The Richard Donner Cut today I noticed something that made feel sooo much better about this Mattel's Zod

SAM_1304.jpg

SAM_1306.jpg

the shiny parts ARE in fact RED!

I'm sorry if this has been said, but this is news to me

Yeah. I actually left the costume as is. I think the lighting just turns the red into black.

so all this time I thought the Mattel's Zod costume was wrong thinking the shiny part should be Black instead of Red...well while watching The Richard Donner Cut today I noticed something that made feel sooo much better about this Mattel's Zod

SAM_1304.jpg

SAM_1306.jpg

the shiny parts ARE in fact RED!

I'm sorry if this has been said, but this is news to me

:slap This has been discussed ad nauseum since the beginning of this thread since Zod was the starting figure for this line. Doesn't anyone read the threads anymore? :lol

:slap This has been discussed ad nauseum since the beginning of this thread since Zod was the starting figure for this line. Doesn't anyone read the threads anymore? :lol

yep I was here at the beginning of this thread, but I didn't remember reading it nor seeing pics saying that it was red, which is why I posted it and apologized for it, if it was already discussed.

Last edited:

Not everybody has the time or inclination to plough through umpteen pages of this stuff. I found this interesting even though I already knew the trim was red. I still think Mattel should have made it black as that's how it looks in the movies.

Yes it does indeed look pretty red in that screen grab and there are photos of the actual costume showing conclusively that the trim is red. No doubt about it. However it's a pity that in the other 99.9% of the movie it looks black. Mattel might have been safer at least going for a darker red.

not for nothing but after getting a side by side comparison I think the mattel sculpt is pretty good after all,with a professional paint job I think it would look great,also check out these pics of the Les Walker nicely painted head on a DCU body,I thnk it's still the best likeness yet,thats my opinion.Now I wish I would have got mine neckless and put it on a TT body.
mattelsupsfigure.jpg

chrisReevesupermancustom4.jpg

chrisReevesupermancustom3.jpg

Here's my original Mattel Superman with a repaint

JMKsChristopherReeveSuperman42resized.jpg

JMKsChristopherReeveSuperman41resized.jpg

JMKsChristopherReeveSuperman49resized.jpg

I think he looks quite a bit better.

lookin' good Mr. Fusion! :rock

and great comparison shot silverprelude!

I think when I get mine, I'm going to resculpt the eyebrows bringing them down some as well as blend the hairline in a bit more so it's not so flesh then hair, plus as repaint, then I think it will be good to go!

oh and define the neck and collar bone area.

heres my attempt at fixing up the mattel superman ,as i dont have a lot of bodies at hand i stripped the outfit ,thanks for the heads up on the velcro ,and double thanks for the tip on putting a waste strip of velcro on top of the costumes velcro ,it worked like a charm ,not one snag thanks :),i wraped the waist section and hips with some very thin foam rubber put on a old body suit ,with the neck and arms cut out ,as these were the parts that were big enough and i wanted to fill out legs waist hips and ribcage to balance him out ,any way redressed him ,and it certainly made the boots look and fit better ,
DSC06002.jpg
DSC06004.jpg
DSC06003.jpg
just on a side note the pictures look like he has one side bigger than the other ,its not its just the way i stood him ,stupid me ,id like to improve the soles of the boots at some point but over all i think this is a great figure ,is it perfect no ,im i glad i got him ,you bet i am :lol

not for nothing but after getting a side by side comparison I think the mattel sculpt is pretty good after all,with a professional paint job I think it would look great,also check out these pics of the Les Walker nicely painted head on a DCU body,I thnk it's still the best likeness yet,thats my opinion.Now I wish I would have got mine neckless and put it on a TT body.
mattelsupsfigure.jpg

chrisReevesupermancustom4.jpg

chrisReevesupermancustom3.jpg
Erick Sosas´s is the best Reeve head sciulpt out there, no doubt, I believe.

IMO the Mattel versions are a little pricey at 60$. And what's with the crap boots?

Good mod, Libby. padding those thin thighs really helped out a lot. it made the difference between the upper body and legs less noticeable.

Big improvement, this is the best mod I've so far. Great job streamlining the body.

I just received mine yesterday and I'm very happy with him. I'm still going to try to get the Hot Toys version, but I'm glad I didn't pass on this one.

Just like a lot of people have posted, pictures really don't do this figure justice, and he's a cheaper alternative to people who can't afford a more expensive figure.

Big improvement, this is the best mod I've so far. Great job streamlining the body.

I just received mine yesterday and I'm very happy with him. I'm still going to try to get the Hot Toys version, but I'm glad I didn't pass on this one.

Just like a lot of people have posted, pictures really don't do this figure justice, and he's a cheaper alternative to people who can't afford a more expensive figure.

Good mod, Libby. padding those thin thighs really helped out a lot. it made the difference between the upper body and legs less noticeable.

The Mattel Supes looks much better. I love the boots on that custom!
hey thanks for the kind words ,i too think this is a fantasic figure for the price point ,and just wanted to see if the body could be improved on to the point that i wouldnt need a replacement body or new boots ,got to do something about those soles,and im glad some of you guys agree ,that while hes not perfect ,hes far from the train wreck he could have been ,cough proto pictures skinny,:) the bootsi got from a great guy called kris meadows back around 1997 ,the boots were just socks and made of a strech vinyl or vinyl spandex ,they were nice but kinda sock looking i think it bothered him too as he used to hide the feet as you can see in the link ,https://www.supermania78.com/2010/12/...it-figure.html ,as for the boots all i did was put inner soles to give a more boot like shape a rubber outer sole glued on to keep that shape ,there not unlike the mattel boots which i like a lot better now they are more filled out ,i look forward to seeing some repainted heads in this thread soon :) cheers chris

Erick Sosas´s is the best Reeve head sciulpt out there, no doubt, I believe.

Hi Leo! That is my figure from Les Walker with his great head sculpt. But right now he's putting it on a better body for me. I hope to get it soon. As you can see I took those pictures of it on the DC Direct body back in 2008. The "Classic Superman" DC Direct body was way too big, and the neck was too long, as you can see in my picture. I hope to have a much better body from Les, that looks more like Reeve's lean muscular build. The way it should be. :wave

Back