Sunohc's sculpts and repaints and customs.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last 10 posts or so got me in the mood for The Departed :)

I think Fengs sculpt totally captures the part where Frank is unsure of Leo, he interogates him on the pool table by smashing his boot across his hand. I really see Fengs sculpt i think he has done a smack on job!

Love it when he then comes out the room

Who let this IRA mutha f__ka in my bar? Just kidding hows your mother?

Aww she's on her way out

We all are act accordingly!

Got my McClane and Norton heads today, Daniel. Thanks so much. Great work.

Got my Norton, Eli today. I also just ordered a vest and Jolie!

Thanks,
Rob

Btw the vest isn't for Jolie... :lol

as there are two threads now, don't know why ^^, I'm posting also here what I've said in the other thread:

i appreciate your work on this sculpt dan and i can see some improvements on the cheek-area. but I have to agree with elvis, the nose throws the sculpt now completely off :( it's too big, too wide and the left nosewing is also bigger then the other one. from the side it's definitely Leo, it's really dead-on, but from the front-side the nose irritates the overall-look. when I'm hiding the nose for example with my finger, i can see Leo in there and when i remove my finger and i can see the nose with the sculpt, i can't see Leo anymore. So you are very very close to get the likeness and I think it's only the nose which needs to be renewed. I hope you won't take my advices as a critic. I'm only saying it to give you some more advices to improve yourself and make this sculpt to a perfect-looking sculpt. and i hope you won't give up :) and like i said before, take your time. maybe you need a bit distance from this sculpt. when you're working too much on something you might not see the errors for yourself. so take your time, i would also wait until next year for it.

It's great work but I agree with this, nose is still throwing it off

Hang in there Daniel, when a hobby becomes a job it's almost more stressful then a job thats NOT a hobby. I know better than anyone.

For the record I don't think you have many "shortcomings" as an artist, but that's just me.

Personal stresses can get in a lot of ways of things, just do what makes you happy. With or without the support of family the truth is that when you do what you are best at, you embrace it... your personal interests and hobbies fuel you and atually make you sucessfull in life. I feel sorry for those who judge others for taking unconvetional roads in life, its usually just stemming form their own fear or bitterness that they never took a walk off the straight line and got off the easy safe or logical path in life. No one ever hits it big by playing it safe.

I for one hope you never give this up because you've got a lot more to offer us.

I for one appreciate the passion for perfection you obviously put into each sculpt, Daniel. I'm sorry to hear about you troubles, I don't know how anyone could look upon the amazing talent that you have negatively. About those Deviant art comments and Trevor Grove...I've said it before and I'll say it again, next to Trevor grove you are definitely one of my favorite sculptors.

Am i missing something, has Dan been getting a hard time of it? Can't see anything

I think people are being way to harsh on both the Inception heads and the Will Ferrell one. Your DiCaprio is the best likness of him I've seen and I was happy with it when you posted first pics. After the tweaks it's damn near perfect. The speed with which you turn these out is astonishing. You have a great talent and it can only get better if you keep at it, which you most definately should.

I for one appreciate the passion for perfection you obviously put into each sculpt, Daniel. I'm sorry to hear about you troubles, I don't know how anyone could look upon the amazing talent that you have negatively. About those Deviant art comments and Trevor Grove...I've said it before and I'll say it again, next to Trevor grove you are definitely one of my favorite sculptors.

I second that. You seem to be one of the few sculptors that can nail the likness almost every time.

hey guys thanks for the comments.

on Toy Anxiety's ron burgundy thread I made a long comment regarding some comments regarding my latests pieces.
I'm not particular irked by critiques of my work regarding likeness
but I felt like my artistic integrity was being questioned (eg.rushing sculpts off) :(

However, I do appreciate Ray's comment since it does serve as a cautious reminder.

I appreciate all of your encouraging words,
I did finish "narrowing" the Leo nose, but haven't had the time to upload those pics properly.

I'm also trying to get this last Morpheus done before I start packing :)

here are some in prog pics of it:
img6232h.jpg

I read that post and i feel super sorry for you!

I cant imagine your integrity as an artist being brought into question to be honest, your a wonderful talent and i think your sculpts are awesome!

Damn, this is Daniel at his best!!!

I have nothing here which i could say it's wrong. Can't wait to see him finished. It's spot on mate! :)

And like others, I feel also a bit sorry for giving you a hard time. It's not great to hear all the times some critics, but I really didn't mean it in a negative way. I'm respecting you so much, as a sculptor/artist and as a person. When I gave you some critics, it was only some advices, to improve your work, but if I hurt you in any way, I'm sorry Daniel!

Daniel, that Morpheous rough sculpt is a perfect example of when pictures speak louder than words.

Hot Toys, who many consider the best 1/6th company, are always getting likenesses off. But when they get it right, they certainly get it right. It's the same with you bud, I think. At your best you are awesome! Sometimes the likenesses are a tiny bit off but who cares. Looking at the big picture your sculpts are awesome.

Can't wait to own the Morpheous sculpt man, it's a beauty.

I can see how it would sting to have someone suggest you were rushing. Especially when you put so much time into things and its still not going you're way. But in the end that's what makes you better if everything came easy then things would never reach their full potential. challenging hurdles are the best thing for a creative.

unfortunatley and fortunately sometimes art is a business and that balance is hard to achieve. I'm in the business where my work is always, always compromised due to schedule and budget constraints.

My comments in the Ron Burgendy thread actually were more serving, in twofold. One was to try and encourage and inspire the extra mile to be strived for (not to serve the opposite function), secondly it was maybe more something ive been observing with Sunhoc's situation and annoyance to all the board members who bombard a sculptor or a painter with requests and then they feel pressure to deliver. They get overwhelmed and back off of customs I've seen it happen again and again. Can't say I'm not guilty of contributing that to from time to time for those guys who are a victim of their own talent... But I'm just afraid that's going to happen and I DO NOT want it too because I think Daniel is one of the top sculptors we have to do these things.

I don't think it's made everything suffer.. The John Marston was great and Morpheus so far looks amazing.

I am a HUGE fan... really I'm in awe of your skill and will buy you're sculpts and support you time after time. It really sucks when you have outside pressures that infringe on what you like to do, keep faith that you have talent and there are lots out there who are going to support that!

Daniel,
As a customer who privately commisioned a sculpt from you last winter and someone who has been following your career and growth as an artist since you first popped up on OSW and the proud owner of one of your very first Michael Ironside sculpts, I just want to tell you not to let them get to you. Resemblances are a very subjective thing. One person can see a resemblance between two relatives and another person will say they look nothing at all alike. I have seen some people rave over a sculpt that I think looks nothing at all like who it is supposed to represent and I have seen people crap all over a sculpt I think perfectly represents the person it is supposed to.
And since everyone sees a resemblance differently, ruling by committee is a bad idea. You will get a dozen different suggestions on what is wrong with a given sculpt and just as many people saying it is perfect. It was said in another post that when a willing sculptor comes along we have a tendency to gang up on him like sharks in a school of fish or kids at an ice cream truck. And since we are all individuals with dozens of different dream projects you can't make everyone happy. You are an very talented artist and I, for one, would hate to see a few negative comments make you go away. I have just skimmed this thread and the Inception thread but I have seen far more supporters than detractors so please don't let the few "negative nellys" get to you. Even hot Toys with teams of artists and support people do not knock every one out of the park. Just look at the latest HT Beuce Lee threads do see how divided opinions can become.
I don't think you should quit or even take a long break. You are an artist and have to follow your art. That being said, some likenesses are easier to nail than others. You know that better than anyone. Some faces have distinctive characteristics and shapes and are easier to sketch out. Others are more generic and it is the sum of all the features that give the individual likeness. Miss one of those features by a hair and the likeness is a little off. That doesn't mean you have failed as an artist it just speaks to the difficulty of the art form you have taken on.
Also, as someone who likes to custom build his own figures from parts, I know that some projects are just harder than others. Maybe you find out you aren't as interested in the subject matter as you thought you were, maybe the mood isn't right, maybe your heart just isn't in it. Look at your Bruce Willis sculpts. You did those because you wanted to and they are the best BW sculpts out there. Others maybe you weren't so sure about but you did them at someone else's suggestion. But I think there were some really unfair comments in the Inception thread that were supposed to be passed off as constructive crticism that you need to completely ignore. Sure constructive criticism is great and we all need it to grow as people as well as artists but telling someone that you had two completely finished figures waiting for heads and that those figures will now be going in to a drawer because the heads aren't good enough is just nonsense. I challenge that person to try and do better himself.
Cheer up, Daniel. You have lots of fans and friends out here. Learn from the stuff that is instructive and just forget about the rest.
Mike

I haven't posted on the board much, but I've been following your sculpts, and i honestly think that some people have impossible expectations. I have never seen a sculpt from you that didn't look spot on.

Don't let them get to you, your work is insane and I'm sure all the people on the board would love to have that talent :)

Dan I didn't mean to take a jab at you or your work, if I felt it was truely suffering all around, I wouldn't have bought a Tyler, McClane or continue to want to be on the Morpheus project.

But I felt like regardless of how many hours are put into something, it shouldn't be finished until you are happy, and it seemed like you and several others had pointed out a few things on Cobb where as the majority of people weilding Inception sigs just wanted the heads ASAP. Thats why it seemed to be rushed to me. Knowing just how much work you did put into them, actually makes me feel the same however, in that as I said, they are very close to being perfect but IMO need some refinement, and I'd just hate to see them released ahead of time because of pressure here. I'd happily wait another week or two if it means perfection. I do look forward to seeing Cobb's new nose.

No hard feelings. :duff

If I'm not mistaken Daniel's birthday is in 4 days. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY man! :p . Free headsculpts for everyone yaaaay!

Back