Summer of 2012 has really had it out for me.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear this but try to stay positive if he's going to be able to have an operation, and more importantly stay positive for the time you have to spend with him now. Even if your not it will make a differance for him to know your going to be ok. Make it count.

I've lost three uncles to it in 9 years. Only one of them over 60, and he was 61, same as my dad. My dad's older brother went in '03, his cousin and my mom's brother-in-law in '04, and my mom's little brother last October. Right now her younger sister is fighting multiple myeloma.

Cancer seems to have it out for the baby boomers.

Sorry to hear about your Dad Eli.My Uncle died of a Brain Tumor 4 years ago.He never did the surgery because the risk was too high for the doctors to take any chances.
He died after 2 years.

Best advice would be that appreciate every single moment you have left with your father.Make it count more than anything else you have done in your life.

Sorry to hear this but try to stay positive if he's going to be able to have an operation, and more importantly stay positive for the time you have to spend with him now. Even if your not it will make a differance for him to know your going to be ok. Make it count.

This is good advice. Stay positive whenever you are around him. If you have to cry or get upset walk out and collect yourself. The goal is to make him comfortable and you don't want him worrying about you.

I love my dad to it in '97. :(

I'm so sorry, Jamie! I hope that treatments will help him. One of the guys at our school was diagnosed with a brain tumor and at first they said they couldn't do anything for him. But he then had surgery and follow up radiation and he's doing fine now. That was 5 years ago. He has to have MRI quite often and the did find a teeny spot that they zapped with some kind of special laser to take care of it. Just make sure they have checked all their options and do research on it. At the time of my father's diagnosis, I didn't yet own a computer and I wish now I did, not that I could've saved him, but I sure would've done things differently.

Hugs and prayers. :1-1:

Eli, just a friendly reminder, try not to neglect your own health bro.

I know what it's like not being able to get sleep or function normally when you've got this terrible news forever in your head 24/7.

Do your best to stay on a normal diet. Exercise could help as well.

Regarding the treatment approach for your father, be sure to ask his oncologist of the possible options.

With my father, chemotherapy gave him another year. His doctors were surprised that he had exceeded their expectations.

Ultimately, you want to try everything you possibly can to help slow the progression of the cancer.

All the prayers with you, your father, and family. :pray:

Sorry to hear the news Eli. My dad passed away over 12 years ago and he was only 60. He slip and fell at his home. 3 days later he passed away. :( Hope you get the support from family and friends to go with this tough time of yours

so sorry to hear this, eli. it's not hard to see from your posts that you're a good guy and a generally positive dude, so it's even harder to see you go through this. stay strong.

Good chat last night Eli... I'm glad I was able to take your mind off of all of this for a few hours at least. I'm truly sorry that this is happening to you and your Dad. Just try to savor every moment you can get with him, and know that we are all here for you. :(

I wish you and your family the best possible remaining time with your father. I will pray for him, Eli. I am so sorry to hear this news :(

Eli as I said on Facebook I and my family send our thoughts and prayers to you. If you need something and I can help just let me know.

My father's surgery last Thursday was a success (they removed most of his brain tumor), so it should buy him a bit more time and improve his quality of life.

He finally is regaining movement from the left side of his body. He had experienced a bout of paralysis from that part of his body, which led to the cat scan that showed he had Cancer spread through out his entire body. He called me earlier this past Thursday inviting me out to the family Cabin. He doesn't live in the same city as me, but is an hour away. He said he will be talking to the family about the potential of chemo therapy. One of the doctors believe they can extend his life. The thought is it should buy him some more time, but problem is he'll be sick and this may just mean he lives longer, yes, but at what cost? A diminishing quality of life, one that pretty much is, what it is.

We're both 50/50 either way, but in the end it's his decision. I just hope it becomes the right one.

Anyway, that is what the update on the situation is.

Last edited:
If you have any contact with his doctor, you should ask about thalidomide treatments. If the metastases are too extensive, it may not help, but you never know.

My father's surgery last Thursday was a success (they removed most of his brain tumor), so it should buy him a bit more time and improve his quality of life.

He finally is regaining movement from the left side of his body. He had experienced a bout of paralysis from that part of his body, which led to the cat scan that showed he had Cancer spread through out his entire body. He called me earlier this past Thursday inviting me out to the family Cabin. He doesn't live in the same city as me, but is an hour away. He said he will be talking to the family about the potential of chemo therapy. One of the doctors believe they can extend his life. The thought is it should buy him some more time, but problem is he'll be sick and this may just mean he lives longer, yes, but at what cost? A diminishing quality of life, one that pretty much is, what it is.

We're both 50/50 either way, but in the end it's his decision. I just hope it becomes the right one.

Anyway, that is what the update on the situation is.

Sorry to hear about this. My dad was sick for many years as well and always refused therapy. QoL is very important for sure, my dad was suffering at the last part and just wanted it to end. See him as much as you can while he's lucid. I missed some opportunities because I was overseas and wish I had spent more time by his side.

Back