Student Goes Off At Teacher About Education

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, regardless of possible benefits, I'm pretty against the idea of privatizing schools. Making money will be the main goal, which shouldn't be.

My wife worked at a private school in Nova Scotia that, on the surface, anyway, was supposed to be for kids with autism and special needs. I won't get into the details but it was a total fleece job on the parents, but maintains a legitimate and even somewhat upscale image.

I'm sure there are plenty of good private schools out there, but of course, it'll be the wealthy that benefit... No, I don't see any good coming from an all-private school system. It's not the answer.

I'm sure there are plenty of good private schools out there, but of course, it'll be the wealthy that benefit... No, I don't see any good coming from an all-private school system. It's not the answer.

There is little good that would come of it. Sadly, the experience your wife had is what would happen here more often than not.

Well, regardless of possible benefits, I'm pretty against the idea of privatizing schools. Making money will be the main goal, which shouldn't be.

My wife worked at a private school in Nova Scotia that, on the surface, anyway, was supposed to be for kids with autism and special needs. I won't get into the details but it was a total fleece job on the parents, but maintains a legitimate and even somewhat upscale image.

I agree. We had that happen with some charter schools close to us. The kids didn't learn a thing and a few people made a ton of money.

I agree. We had that happen with some charter schools close to us. The kids didn't learn a thing and a few people made a ton of money.

Amen. I taught at a school for 13 years that then decided to go charter. I transferred out because i could never imagine the admins in charge running a school by themselves. Of the original 130 teachers that where there when i left, there are only 20 left, many replaced by new CHEAP rookie teachers. The principal was Kicked out for money scamming and the school is now over 1 million in debt. They took a perfectly good public school and destroyed it for greed.

Australia has an excellent private schooling system. It is not wholly private but subsidised by the state and federal governments. Around 35% of all Australian school students attend private schools - including my two. People who can afford to send their kids to private schools often do so because public education in general suffers from the widespread perception that it does not instil proper values and discipline in students.

There is plenty of accountability and these schools know that when they stop performing and achieving good results, then parents will go elsewhere. Public schooling in this country is full of 'every child's a winner even when they're undeserving' mentality, whereas private schools instil a greater sense of personal responsibility and mutual obligation.

Australia has an excellent private schooling system. It is not wholly private but subsidised by the state and federal governments. Around 35% of all Australian school students attend private schools - including my two. People who can afford to send their kids to private schools often do so because public education in general suffers from the widespread perception that it does not instil proper values and discipline in students.

There is plenty of accountability and these schools know that when they stop performing and achieving good results, then parents will go elsewhere. Public schooling in this country is full of 'every child's a winner even when they're undeserving' mentality, whereas private schools instil a greater sense of personal responsibility and mutual obligation.

Here you either have state run schools, or private. The private schools don't get anything from the government here except if you send your child to a private school, you get some tax breaks.

Most people here can't afford private schools.

Prog is right on. Participation in financing the public school system should be voluntary, but that will never happen. The greed of people who can't afford to educate their kids has too much representation in the government, and the greed of school employees who feel entitled to be able to teach kids who can't pay them is one of the most rabidly powerful special interests in the country.

People who send their kids to private schools should be exempt from the taxation that finances the schools their kids do not attend, but we all know that the money they earn, which the schools depend on, and which would not exist without them, is not legally their own property. They have no right to it. Children have 'needs', so the livestock have to pay...or else.

Prog is right on. Participation in financing the public school system should be voluntary, but that will never happen. The greed of people who can't afford to educate their kids has too much representation in the government, and the greed of school employees who feel entitled to be able to teach kids who can't pay them is one of the most rabidly powerful special interests in the country.

People who send their kids to private schools should be exempt from the taxation that finances the schools their kids do not attend, but we all know that the money they earn, which the schools depend on, and which would not exist without them, is not legally their own property. They have no right to it. Children have 'needs', so the livestock have to pay...or else.

All I can say I totally disagree with you. I respect ya but I know better than to get into a back and forth. :lol

I really don't think there is greed in people wanting their children educated. I can also assure you most teachers aren't in it for greed. I'm sure as hell not. Next year I'll make 39k for teaching some of the worst kids in the school district. If I was in it for greed I'd be getting a whole lot more money.

I pretty much feel like that paying taxes. If the beneficiaries were so bereft of greed, they'd have a whole lot less interest in other people's money. I understand your position. You want to help. Most want to help. But this is ultimately no different from the medical bill panhandlers' thread. People need, and they consider their need to be a claim on the lives of those who have the means to fulfill the needs they cannot. They resent the notion that people who have more than them will not share. It's not even jealousy. It's envy, which I'm not really certain is more morally admirable than the pure, ambitious, hard-working and self-interested pursuit of money.

I'd even be inclined to call them opposite ends of the moral spectrum, and the low road is not the one paying the lion's share of taxes.

I think most people look at public education and any taxes used for it are money put into something for the better of us all. Now, the money is not always used the way it should but that's a different story all together. All, I can say for me is I love teaching and trying to help kids. I want them to have even the most basic skills so they can not totally suck at life. I won't lie that I wish I was paid a whole lot more but I never went into this because I knew I'd get rich.

One of the lowest paid degreed jobs there is. Very few people want to do it. You only make decent money when you have a Master's Degree and even then when you compare it to alot of jobs, it's still lower pay than most.

Here, the only people who pay taxes that goes to schools are property owners and if they send their kids to private schools, they can write it off.

I'm pursuing a degree with a teaching certification at the secondary level. I'd prefer to teach at a community college or something down the line, but you have to start somewhere.

I have nothing against the desire to teach. I consider it to be one of the highest callings. But, the problems inherent in the public school system are a result of the fact that it's a public system.

It doesn't have to be, nor should it be.

Prog is right on. Participation in financing the public school system should be voluntary, but that will never happen.

It's not voluntary here, but the government funds both private and public sector schools on a fairly equitable per-student basis. The rationale being that, while parents of private school students still pay tax towards the school system, they are at least getting a return that is delivered in the form of funding for their private-school educated child. These parents then pay the remainder of the fees. It's not an ideal or elegant funding model, but it does recognise the choices parents wish to make with respect to their child's education.

Back