Student Goes Off At Teacher About Education

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent several years in NYC public schools, and I can say that many of the teachers are just lazy, and lack the drive to do anything worthwhile in the classrooms. In addition, after teaching for a certain number of years, they become tenured and have their positions for life.

I admire this kid for standing up for himself. I was one of the top students in my high school, and even I was subjected to having classes where the teachers just handed out packets, and didn't teach a damn thing. It was a complete waste of my time.

I've read some of the comments here about how this kid was out of line and should have "respected his elder". But, I'd have to say that respect is something that should be eared, not something that's just given to someone because they happen to be older. I wish I had his bravery when I was younger.

it is one thing to respect your elders, but it is another to never question them or their actions.
It is true that maybe the kid should have not raised his voice at the teacher and make such a big deal,
but at the same time he never cursed once. Which is a lot more than I can say for people today. I was actually surprised he didn't curse at all.

I've been teaching for 22 years and my wife for 24 years. Obviously we don't know the whole story here. We only know what we are shown. I will say, that I have known many teachers over the years who rely on packets. We call them "ditto doers". It is the laziest, way to teach. Actually, no teaching goes on in these classes. There is no lesson planning, no creativity, no higher order/critical thinking skills being developed, no student engagement, etc. As the quality of education continues to deteriorate, so does the students active engagement in their own education, yet their entitlement continues to increase. The parents are making education much less of a priority, and many of the teachers are there only for a paycheck.

Finally, straight out of a teachers mouth.

I don't know about your schools, but I don't know of any teachers who use packets or are allowed to eat in their rooms, listen to the radio or do the things that many are talking about here. I guess it has to do with what the principals are allowing. The only thing that I've noticed in our school system that I don't like is the lack of discipline simply because the administration doesn't like dealing with irate parents. The teachers have lost some control in their rooms because of this. Parents rule the schools here. They are always right.

I hate when threads like this turn into a bashing thread because just like in the police threads, there are good and bad ones but most are good. You only hear about the bad.

My junior high had a kid named Matt.

Matt had bladder issues.

Matt asked teacher to go to the bathroom.

Teacher said no.

Matt pees on floor.

Teacher excuses him to get a mop to clean it up.

Matt tells teacher to **** off and clean it up himself.

Teacher take Matt's advice, picks him up, and wipes the floor with Matt.

Matt goes home early.

Teacher does not come to school the next day.

Teacher, in fact, never comes to that school ever again.

True story. :lecture

I don't know about your schools, but I don't know of any teachers who use packets or are allowed to eat in their rooms, listen to the radio or do the things that many are talking about here. I guess it has to do with what the principals are allowing. The only thing that I've noticed in our school system that I don't like is the lack of discipline simply because the administration doesn't like dealing with irate parents. The teachers have lost some control in their rooms because of this. Parents rule the schools here. They are always right.

I hate when threads like this turn into a bashing thread because just like in the police threads, there are good and bad ones but most are good. You only hear about the bad.

:lecture We've all been students so many are inclined to think that we can all be experts on education and teaching. Far fewer of us have been teachers. A teacher has one employer but many 'bosses': education department... principal.... students... parents...

I take my hat off to those doing a job I couldn't tolerate for more than 5 years. Timely repost I think:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WIv7Xk8BjA[/ame]

:lecture We've all been students so many are inclined to think that we can all be experts on education and teaching. Far fewer of us have been teachers. A teacher has one employer but many 'bosses': education department... principal.... students... parents...

It really depends on where you teach, though. Like I mentioned before, many of the teachers in the NYC public school system become tenured after they've been employed for a certain number of years, and as long as they regurgitate the regents curriculum from the state, they can afford to become lazy without fear of losing their jobs. It's like that with a lot of other cities in the U.S as well.

The teachers in independent schools have it A LOT tougher. They have to get their contracts renewed annually, and can easily have the hammer thrown to them by parents, principals, etc.

Wow, I just see a bunch of idiots who seem to think that just because they've sat in a classroom, they magically know what it's like to be a teacher and even know the terms of teacher contracts. That's like me saying because I've been in hospitals my entire life, I know everything there is to know about being a doctor. :cuckoo:

I really think a basic training/boot camp approach to the education of teenage boys is the way to go...

Sounds draconian to many, I know, but having gone through this (mind you, I wasn't in my teens) I do know first-hand that you learn a LOT about responsibility, teamwork, fitness, etc... Almost everyone who has gone through boot camp comes out a better person, by their own admission. Add in some classes to that, and you'll reach these little shets, and they'll burn off steam in the process. :)

Not to mention, "obesity epidemic" = gone.

I really think a basic training/boot camp approach to the education of teenage boys is the way to go...

Sounds draconian to many, I know, but having gone through this (mind you, I wasn't in my teens) I do know first-hand that you learn a LOT about responsibility, teamwork, fitness, etc... Almost everyone who has gone through boot camp comes out a better person, by their own admission. Add in some classes to that, and you'll reach these little shets, and they'll burn off steam in the process. :)

Weren't they introducing yellow-card "timeouts" to bootcamp? :monkey1

Wow, I just see a bunch of idiots who seem to think that just because they've sat in a classroom, they magically know what it's like to be a teacher and even know the terms of teacher contracts. That's like me saying because I've been in hospitals my entire life, I know everything there is to know about being a doctor. :cuckoo:

My father is high school teacher, and taught at both public and private schools in NYC. So, I do know what it's like to live with a teacher, and I'd think that I'm pretty knowledgeable on how their contract systems operate.

By the way, nice to see you posting again, Nam. Haven't seen you around in a while :lol.

Yeah, let's just ship all of the kids in this country off to China :monkey1

Meh. Not everyone needs to be treated like hamburger meat to know how to interact in society.

When I was growing up my brother 3 years older and 60lbs heavier than me tried to whip me into shape for stupid **** like not combing my hair or not cowtowing to every whim of his. It didn't make me feel anything but resentful. I'm certainly not a better man for it.

Putting amatuer psycologists, ahem I mean teachers, into roles where they literally control and correct every minutae from how they wear their cloths to spelling mistakes with repremands isn't going to solve anything...and no offense to people with experience in the military but there are a LOT of people at every level of the Armed Services that act as an example of who not to grow up into, that I wouldn't trust that system either. Patreus, Krusinski, on down to service men committing homicide, domestic violence, etc. I'm not lumping everyone in with them, just saying that getting one's *** kicked in basic training isn't a better cleansing process than anything else. My brother was a ********* before BT and he's the same ********* 20 years afterwards.

If you really want better teachers you have to make it a career choice where the competition to be a teacher is so high that you can eliminate bad ones.

What I would do is privatize the whole damn system. No more public schools. The only taxes that go to education is subsidies for poor kids. Schools and teaches become a for profit venture in which parents pay for their children's education and they get to choose and pay for the level of quality service they want.

Some schools will be Morton Steak Houses and some schools will be McDonalds. You get what you pay for and its for the parents to decide what financial sacrifice would be made to do it.

A society in which a family pays more per year for their cable bill than they do to education is a joke. And the fact that as a tax payer with no kids I pay either the same or MORE than the family with 5 kids to have their asses educated is also a big fat joke.

Last edited:
Weren't they introducing yellow-card "timeouts" to bootcamp? :monkey1

Not in Canada. Guess we're still hardcore. ;)

Good to see ya, btw. :)

No way jose. :lol

Yup, bud just confirmed, it's supposed to be yellow and red "stress" cards (he's not sure if it's been implemented yet though as they were talking about it when he graduated). Our society is devolving. :monkey1

Hmm... Not sure how I feel about that.

Part of the learning process is being under stress - you're SUPPOSED to be stressed out!

Meh. Not everyone needs to be treated like hamburger meat to know how to interact in society...

Well, first off, I think most people misunderstand boot camp. Notwithstanding your own experience through your brother (no education can completely eliminate a$$holes), it's not really what you seem to think...

Certainly some drill instructors are better than others - and I'm sure some of the bad ones have bordered on abuse - but I've never had anyone who wasn't your typical "tough but fair" professional. It's not just tearing people down and yelling at them. That's what you might see in the movies - and certainly that can be part of it, on the surface, but it's not really about that...

Anyway, I'm sure it's well documented somewhere that boot camp results in greater discipline, sense of service, teamwork, leadership, fitness, dedication, etc. All things we'd like to instill in ourselves to some degree, as well as our children. Of course there will still be a$$holes, but probably less of them. :)

What I would do is privatize the whole damn system. No more public schools. The only taxes that go to education is subsidies for poor kids. Schools and teaches become a for profit venture in which parents pay for their children's education and they get to choose and pay for the level of quality service they want.

Some schools will be Morton Steak Houses and some schools will be McDonalds. You get what you pay for and its for the parents to decide what financial sacrifice would be made to do it.

Not fair to the kids. All this would do is create a class system... not that that doesn't exist to some extent anyway, but it would get much, much worse. And that affects society as a whole.

A society in which a family pays more per year for their cable bill than they do to education is a joke. And the fact that as a tax payer with no kids I pay either the same or MORE than the family with 5 kids to have their asses educated is also a big fat joke.

You really don't think you benefit from other people being educated?

I'll tell you what - with those "McDonalds" schools you're talking about, you run the risk of having to deal with an underclass that will turn to crime (with you as the victim).

Heck, seems to be happening already in the US, to be quite honest... No need to make it worse.

You really don't think you benefit from other people being educated?

I'll tell you what - with those "McDonalds" schools you're talking about, you run the risk of having to deal with an underclass that will turn to crime (with you as the victim).

Heck, seems to be happening already in the US, to be quite honest... No need to make it worse.

I'm sure I do benefit. That's not really the point. The point is, do I benefit as much as the parent as said child? If not, why, after you take into account all the tax deductions parents get, why am I paying MORE than the parents of the kids?

Aren't delinquents already committing crimes? On my dime, no less. That money I spend can go to paying for beefed up security instead. :lol Besides, you can bet that if the parent were paying for the education they'd damn well make sure the kids were going AND actually learning something.

As for the class system, whose to say that the lesser cost education couldn't still be competitive...or at least at the same standard level of substandard education we already get....except now, parents who care enough for their childs education have more options. I would put it in place to have exceptional students (or even those who show a exceptional DESIRE to learn, ie attendance records, homework effort, etc...NOT JUST TEST SCORES) from lower incomes qualify for subsidies.

This is somewhat like the charter school initatives. I've met a few kids from charter schools around me and they're way ahead of the game simply by removing the ****s who don't care about school and making the teacher selection process much more in the hands of the parents.

I strongly believe that the best way to force teachers to do their jobs and prevent students from acting like a-holes is to put surveillance cameras with microphones in every classroom that the principle can monitor to keep everyone on their toes.

GREAT idea! lets also do it to politicians,cops, dr's, lawyers, etc......

Back